Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 07:11 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Have you ever heard "The Australian Dream"? How about "The Norwegian Dream"? The "German Dream"?

America is superior to all other nations because of the term "We the People".

Millions still run TO America because of "The American Dream".
EnricoV: whanna take this one?............. Didn't think so.

Millions are running to every corner of the planet because of their dreams.

You'd think you're the only country accepting immigrants. There are many countries accepting more immigrants on a per-capita basis than the U.S. Sharing a border with a country that has such a disparate quality of life whose citizens are willing to swim across does not a utopia make.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2014, 07:25 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post

You'd think you're the only country accepting immigrants. There are many countries accepting more immigrants on a per-capita basis than the U.S. Sharing a border with a country that has such a disparate quality of life whose citizens are willing to swim across does not a utopia make.
Its just a cultural thing. you're not American, you don't understand.

We are proud of our history where our ancestors who we're all sick of their home so they said screw it and all came together to one great land to create a great amazing country to live a better life.

Old 01-06-2014, 08:05 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,145,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
Show me where I said "All Aussies great, All Americans evil"
Quote:
glean
verb \ˈglēn\

: to gather or collect (something) in a gradual way

: to search (something) carefully

: to gather grain or other material that is left after the main crop has been gathered
Is there anything in that definition that denotes a quotation? No.

Old 01-06-2014, 08:14 PM

2,172 posts, read 1,453,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Have you ever heard "The Australian Dream"? How about "The Norwegian Dream"? The "German Dream"?

America is superior to all other nations because of the term "We the People".

Millions still run TO America because of "The American Dream".
Travel much?
Didn't think so.

Old 01-06-2014, 08:15 PM

Quote:

Sure I'll take it. Maybe best next time not to think.

Personally ... no, I've never heard those expressions. But I'm not so arrogant to assume that I've heard of every phrase, applying to every nation, on the planet. Australia and America are both very similar, in my opinion, in that they seem to be major beacons for immigrants. So, you can jump on down off your high horse. I wouldn't, though, say they're running to every corner of the planet. But, it's certainly not exclusive to America.

Oh, and by the way ... I'm not male. You should remember that user names are just that. Not always indicative of anything.

Old 01-06-2014, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Its just a cultural thing. you're not American, you don't understand.

We are proud of our history where our ancestors who we're all sick of their home so they said screw it and all came together to one great land to create a great amazing country to live a better life.
Try not being such a stereotypical Texan.

Old 01-06-2014, 08:18 PM

42 posts, read 66,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itlltickleurinnerds View Post
These are the words of the prime minister of Australia after a shooter used a semi auto to shoot 35 people. The gun ban of 1996 after going into affect there has been no mass shootings in that country since. You tell me if it works.
It may "work" in a country whose population is lower than that of two US states and which has no constitutional guarantee of firearms ownership. Sooo…yes, I suppose in that case, banning certain firearms could be seen as "working."

Old 01-07-2014, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
Sure I'll take it. Maybe best next time not to think.

Personally ... no, I've never heard those expressions. But I'm not so arrogant to assume that I've heard of every phrase, applying to every nation, on the planet. Australia and America are both very similar, in my opinion, in that they seem to be major beacons for immigrants. So, you can jump on down off your high horse. I wouldn't, though, say they're running to every corner of the planet. But, it's certainly not exclusive to America.

Oh, and by the way ... I'm not male. You should remember that user names are just that. Not always indicative of anything.
Remember your little lecture earlier about what is your responsibility, and what isn't, regarding these threads? Well it isn't my job to determine the gender of all posters and until specifically pertinent to the topic I may go to default mode at any time.

One woman's arrogance (an insulting way of thinking or behaving that comes from believing you are better, smarter or more important than other people) is another man's hubris.

Gotta admit though; you're now being even handed in your disdain.

Old 01-07-2014, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermix View Post
It may "work" in a country whose population is lower than that of two US states and which has no constitutional guarantee of firearms ownership. Sooo…yes, I suppose in that case, banning certain firearms could be seen as "working."
Population numbers are very pertinent when it comes to how many have already acquired firearms prior to any intelligent attempt being made to regulate their ownership.

It is not the sole reason however, with respect for rule of law and your fellow citizen being among the more imperative to other countries.

Many developed countries have what amounts to a "constitution" called by many different names and indeed many are modeled, as is yours, after the Magna-Carta.

The rights to firearm ownership may not be enshrined and given the panacea status to all things unsavory that your document does but then there may be other features within them that serve to limit the powers of a corrupt government run amock.

It could be very effectively argued that IN SPITE of the vaunted "right to bear arms" within your document your government has displayed a remarkable tendency to ignore or re-define nearly every other freedom and right granted under that document, could it not?

It would also seem to the layman, the feature of having an appointed SCOTUS given the responsibility to interpret those rights and freedoms on the fly, defeats the original purpose right out of the box.

Since the 2nd has not been used in any practical manner to negate a government behaving badly but rather, morphed in it's primary intent into that of self protection instead; wouldn't the final analysis of it's value be more accurately gauged by the behaviour of citizens towards each other?

How are you doing on that front?

Old 01-12-2014, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Remember your little lecture earlier about what is your responsibility, and what isn't, regarding these threads? Well it isn't my job to determine the gender of all posters and until specifically pertinent to the topic I may go to default mode at any time.

One woman's arrogance (an insulting way of thinking or behaving that comes from believing you are better, smarter or more important than other people) is another man's hubris.

Gotta admit though; you're now being even handed in your disdain.
I didn't think it was. That's why I was simply informing you.

Talk about being insulting ....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies