Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 09:59 AM

990 posts, read 935,089 times

Advertisements

The tragedy in Sandy Hook was a horriblie event and should not be overlooked, but at the same time we need to put it into perspective.

In Afghanistan there were 17 deaths in November and 10 so far in December. That's 27 AMERICAN HEROES who have died and with basically no coverage or outpouring of emotion or any show of support for our troops and contractors who have died in a fruitless war.

There are about 45 murders committed EACH DAY in the US and they get little coverage unless they occur en masse.

There's a whole lot of talk about assault weapons and the like, but how come there's so little about taking our troops out of harm's way?

As much as I am saddened by the events of Sandy Hook, I am much more saddened by the THOUSANDS who die every year due to murders related to the War on Drugs and the HUNDREDS who die yearly in our pointless war in Afghanistan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2012, 10:01 AM

4,865 posts, read 5,655,497 times
Yes and will the innocent civilians we killed get coverage too? How about those children who were murdered by an American soldier while they slept? Are their lives not as important because they are not Americans?

None of those deaths have made me "free" or protected my "freedom".

Old 12-19-2012, 10:05 AM

44,987 posts, read 26,141,048 times
if only the politicians were as committed to ending the wars as they were disarming the public

Old 12-19-2012, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
Yes and will the innocent civilians we killed get coverage too? How about those children who were murdered by an American soldier while they slept? Are their lives not as important because they are not Americans?

No they haven't. Hence why I want them all home. Also, hence why I want the war on drugs to end. Countless lives have been ended prematurely because of those.

People just love headlines, and another IED death in Afghanistan is simply not interesting because it happens all the time. Nobody cares to hear about rival gangs getting into a turf war and some innocent grandmother being collateral damage because it happens all the time.

No, not all soldiers are heroes, but not all Children are perfect little angels either. We idealize anyone who dies tragically, it's our nature. Look at the Columbine murders, those victims were all considered totally innocent, but how do we know some of them weren't evil tormentors of the nutjobs who committed the murders? Teenagers can really be cruel, so it's not unlikely that the bullies were targeted by the wackadoos who went on their insane killing spree.

Adam Lanza was a nut and belonged in an institution, but his mother definitely has blood on her hands as well. She knew her son was crazy and belonged in an nuthouse, but she STILL kept mutiple guns and an assault weapon in the house. Had she not been in possession of those guns, all the kids would still be alive. However, Lanza could have made an IED and blown everyone up a la the Bath Schoolhouse in 1927...

Old 12-19-2012, 10:19 AM

77,737 posts, read 59,870,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post

Yep. Wierd how anti-war is now passe but suddenly we have a new cause-du-juor.

Robert Greenwald: U.S. Drone Strikes Are Causing Child Casualties: Video and Report

178 children and counting for our resident noble peace prize winner. (Although some would have occurred under the Bush admin, the vast majority are in the last 4 years)

We need out of Afghanistan NOW.

Old 12-19-2012, 11:51 AM

1,077 posts, read 3,222,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkBeforeYouVote View Post
The tragedy in Sandy Hook was a horriblie event and should not be overlooked, but at the same time we need to put it into perspective.

In Afghanistan there were 17 deaths in November and 10 so far in December. That's 27 AMERICAN HEROES who have died and with basically no coverage or outpouring of emotion or any show of support for our troops and contractors who have died in a fruitless war.

There are about 45 murders committed EACH DAY in the US and they get little coverage unless they occur en masse.

There's a whole lot of talk about assault weapons and the like, but how come there's so little about taking our troops out of harm's way?

As much as I am saddened by the events of Sandy Hook, I am much more saddened by the THOUSANDS who die every year due to murders related to the War on Drugs and the HUNDREDS who die yearly in our pointless war in Afghanistan.
Were any of them 6 year old children? The people in the Army had a choice to go there, these children did not, don't use this tragedy as some twisted way to push your agenda.

Old 12-19-2012, 11:54 AM

1,229 posts, read 1,142,706 times
This has to be the single dumbest post I have read on here. LMAO Really? This is what you would tell the parents of a shot 6yo? So what your saying is we are worse then Muslim countrys? LMFAO

Old 12-19-2012, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest209 View Post
Were any of them 6 year old children? The people in the Army had a choice to go there, these children did not, don't use this tragedy as some twisted way to push your agenda.
Yeah, but nobody chose to DIE.
I'm just putting the number into perspective. People focus so much on these mass killings, which are completely unpreventable due to their random nature...but nobody talks about the elephant in the room and that's the dozens who are killed every month because of policies which can change and INSTANTLY end those deaths overnight. If we had 0 troops in Afghanistan, we'd have 0 deaths there. Simple as that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itlltickleurinnerds View Post
This has to be the single dumbest post I have read on here. LMAO Really? This is what you would tell the parents of a shot 6yo? So what your saying is we are worse then Muslim countrys? LMFAO
Yeah, did you just read your post? I think that's a lot dumber than what I wrote.
YOUR does not equal YOU'RE. They are different words with different meanings.
The plural of COUNTRY is COUNTRIES.
THEN and THAN are different words with different meanings.
LMAO and LMFAO? What are you, a 14 year old girl?

My point is not that the death of the children is not a horrific and tragic event, it is. But the MASSIVE media coverage and the "changes" that will come to laws in a knee-jerk reaction are the epitome of the idiocy of the American people. Nobody seems to care that dozens of people who have already proven their worth as human beings are being killed every month, but when a bunch of random people are killed, especially children, it's the worst thing that's ever happened. 300+ have been killed in Afghanistan this year when 0 would have been killed had we pulled out already. Those deaths were preventable...the ones in Sandy Hook were not.

After all, even if there were no guns in the entire world, the psychotic Lanza could have just as easily blown up the school and killed even more people. Just look at the "Bath Disaster" if you don't believe me.

Old 12-19-2012, 12:09 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,437,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Yep. Wierd how anti-war is now passe but suddenly we have a new cause-du-juor.

Robert Greenwald: U.S. Drone Strikes Are Causing Child Casualties: Video and Report

178 children and counting for our resident noble peace prize winner. (Although some would have occurred under the Bush admin, the vast majority are in the last 4 years)

We need out of Afghanistan NOW.
Well, I agree, we need to be out of Afghanistan as soon as possible. Though I find it funny(not neccesarily referring to you or anyone else on this specific thread) that some of the same people I know that were fine with the status quo in foreign policy during the Bush years(and even Clinton years) are now getting all Noam Chomsky about the actual effects of US military involvement overseas...

Old 12-19-2012, 12:13 PM

1,229 posts, read 1,142,706 times
We were told this same old crap over Vietnam. We were told if we don't fight its the end of freedom. Well we got our asses handed to us on a bamboo plater and we are no less free today than we were before Vietnam fell to communism. Lies upon lies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies