Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 01:32 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,479,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
You have been doing just that since your very first post. And I think people ought to have a clue about the US Constitution before they talk about its destruction. We don't need to be experts, just thinking people. Here is a bit of that acceptance of that complexity spelled out, for the fourth time in this thread:

"It's a complex problem that requires more than one solution," White House spokesman Jay Carney said Tuesday. "It calls for not only re-examining our gun laws and how well we enforce them, but also for engaging mental health professionals, law enforcement officials, educators, parents and communities to find those solutions."

1- Re-examining existing laws and enforcing them is not unconstitutional.
2- Engaging with mental health professional, law enforcement officials and other stakeholders is not unconstitutional.
Enforcing existing laws and making harsher punishments for violators is good.
Engaging who? We as a whole can try to get ideas from health and law enforcement. But how do we pinpoint the ones that pose a threat? We cant. Millions play violent games, quit jobs, draw violent pictures, and do other things out of the norm. We still cant force a psych exam on them. They have not done anything wrong.

What it boils down to, as far as the mass killings, there really is not much we can do.

Now for our other gun crimes, there is a lot that can be done, but still, there will be cases when legal owners of guns, or other weapons, commit murder, or a violent crime.

Crackdown on people who commit will help. You use a weapon in a robbery, burglary, car jacking, or just about any crime where your weapon is used to intimidate for your personal or financial gain, automatic 25 years. No deals, no pleas, no nothing. Discourage the use of weapons in crime.

Im tired of being the +99% of legal law abiding citizens who get punished for the few bad ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2012, 01:39 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,815,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Why? I'm not a hunter like she is, I've never had a moose burger,
but I have had an antelope burger once But I no longer
eat red meat.

I'm not a political fan of hers, but
if she shares my belief in using common sense in regards to
gun control/protection, maybe I'll have to give her a second look

BTW, should I say you remind me of Nancy Pelosi
I would rather be me reminding anybody of Pelosi than of Palin. The reason you did was your play of words such has "hard working people and their loving families", "department of education", "government is evil"...

I admit you did propose such ideas as:
- It is government's responsibility to run a gun education system for parents (with the assumption that children don't need it). I guess, we should have funding for that.
- Security personnel hirings... I'm sure we will be keen on budgeting for that

Now, the first serious response (educating parents being a government responsibility) may be an original. I assume though that would fall under each state, as would security personnel hirings (which would be one of the most common suggestions and likely to happen anyway)?

Is that it?

Old 12-19-2012, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhemi View Post
Enforcing existing laws and making harsher punishments for violators is good.
Re-visiting their effectiveness is not an abomination. We must do that with every law. Some need to go away, some need to be revised and some need to be created.

Quote:
Engaging who? We as a whole can try to get ideas from health and law enforcement. But how do we pinpoint the ones that pose a threat?
Didn't you post this?
Quote:
We need to try to better spot the mentally ill, which could be hard because we cant just grab and test people at random.
You can't sit and complain about something being hard, if you can't even appreciate the very first logical steps necessary to help understand and address an issue.

Quote:
Millions play violent games, quit jobs, draw violent pictures...
And somehow this pro-NRA list is unlikely to include handing and training kids to shoot at targets.

Quote:
What it boils down to, as far as the mass killings, there really is not much we can do.
Certainly not for as long as "all is fine" attitude prevails, regardless of what the realities bring.

Old 12-19-2012, 01:50 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,018,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
Explain to me why you need a gun that shoots 30 bullets in a minute? Do you live ina War Zone like Syria?
I'm a bow n arrow gal for recreation (no kill) - just call me Pocahontas,
but I guess a lot of folks like that Bushmaster for recreation and pest control.

Here are some articles on what folks use it for, and why they like them.

"It’s one of the most popular types of sporting rifles in the country"
“hugely popular for recreational target shooting”

Read more: Bushmaster .223: Weapon Used in Newtown Shooting a Lightning Rod in Gun Debate | TIME.com

Since the shootings, the stores can not keep these sporting rifles on the shelves.

Bushmasters Disappearing From Stores After Newtown - ABC News

Many AR-15 owners use them for "plinking" varmints.

"Dr. George Winch, Jr., of Elko, says he has plenty of friends who use their rifles to keep their animals safe from coyotes. One friend, he says, has added a silencer to his AR-15 so he can sit on his back porch and shoot coyotes at night, without the noise disturbing neighbors"

Bushmaster .223: Weapon Used in Newtown Shooting a Lightning Rod in Gun Debate | TIME.com

Old 12-19-2012, 01:52 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,669,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amerifree View Post
Obama to press for policy changes after shooting - Yahoo! News

Watching Obama now and he is telling us that he is instituting new Gun Control "policy's" by January 1st.

Obama Quote:" I am prepared to do some very tough things".

Obama has the audacity to say the majority of americans will agree with him...
just like health reform?
You need to clean out your ears.

All the foolish man said is he's asking for a committee of other morons (Biden) to talk about guns and mental health.

Old 12-19-2012, 02:02 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,018,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
I would rather be me reminding anybody of Pelosi than of Palin. The reason you did was your play of words such has "hard working people and their loving families", "department of education", "government is evil"...
I'm a libertarian, like in the Libertarian Party, like in I voted for Gary Johnson
- I use words like "get rid of department of education" "end the wars" OFTEN
I don't say the government is "evil", I say it's too big.

I brought up loving families, because there's misconceptions about "gun owners"
from the side that wants to ban them.

These incidents of mass shootings are an Aberration of Society.
Not the norm. The reaction to them should be practical and logical, not hysterical.

Old 12-19-2012, 02:02 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,479,849 times
OK, so the pro gun people tend to back up what they say. The explain why or why not something will work or wont or because the constitution says so.

The anti gun people keep spitting out ideas, and want to implement them already, such as banning assault weapons.
Yet, they steer away from testing their theories. They will respond with stuff like "why do you 'need' one."

Why cant they think the whole thing out and admit that they have not put anything on the table yet that would work and not infringe on rights?

Its always like this and I dont get it. For crying out loud, they blame the NRA! I bothersome that there is this many ignorant people out there.

Old 12-19-2012, 02:11 PM

Quote:
These incidents of mass shootings are an Aberration of Society.
Not the norm. The reaction to them should be practical and logical, not hysterical.
Which ought to include more than just talk, or deflections from core problems because they are ALWAYS inconvenient to ideologies (to which libertarians are slaves).

Old 12-19-2012, 02:12 PM

Quote:
The anti gun people keep spitting out ideas, and want to implement them already, such as banning assault weapons.
It isn't other people's problem that your ability to comprehend is THAT poor, much less this idea of "anti-gun" people you hold.

Old 12-19-2012, 02:26 PM

19,632 posts, read 12,222,208 times
Quote:
I'm a bow n arrow gal for recreation (no kill) - just call me Pocahontas,
but I guess a lot of folks like that Bushmaster for recreation and pest control.

Here are some articles on what folks use it for, and why they like them.

"It’s one of the most popular types of sporting rifles in the country"
“hugely popular for recreational target shooting”

Read more: Bushmaster .223: Weapon Used in Newtown Shooting a Lightning Rod in Gun Debate | TIME.com

Since the shootings, the stores can not keep these sporting rifles on the shelves.

Bushmasters Disappearing From Stores After Newtown - ABC News

Many AR-15 owners use them for "plinking" varmints.

"Dr. George Winch, Jr., of Elko, says he has plenty of friends who use their rifles to keep their animals safe from coyotes. One friend, he says, has added a silencer to his AR-15 so he can sit on his back porch and shoot coyotes at night, without the noise disturbing neighbors"

Bushmaster .223: Weapon Used in Newtown Shooting a Lightning Rod in Gun Debate | TIME.com
That should answer the questions about how law abiding people use them.

I'm sure it will not be good enough. Some people don't even understand that it is legal to shoot wildlife pests in some areas or that sport shooting is a popular hobby that many average people enjoy for a lifetime. There is nothing sinister about either of these things, or the AR-15 which unfortunately has been abused and villified by some psychos. They can and will adapt other weapons for mass killings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies