Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 02:25 PM

1,137 posts, read 971,847 times

Advertisements

For those over emotional people who never let facts get in the way of their media driven bs: Do you even know what an "assault rifle" is?

Hint: Looking scary doesn't make something an assault weapon.

Having certain cosmetic additions doesnt make something an assault weapon.

An AR15, like was used in Newtown is NOT an assault rifle, no matter how many retards in the media, or uninformed ahole politicians claim it is.

Designating it an evil "assault rifle" is simply playing to emotions of the sheep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2012, 07:45 AM

Same gun, different paint job, that was used in CT, NOT an assault rifle.

Old 12-20-2012, 07:56 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
Default Assault weapons?

I propose another and much broader definition of an assault weapon. Any common object or device used to attack another is an assault weapon. It is not the object but the use of the object that is important.

We are wasting time arguing about "assault rifles" or "scary looking guns" because they are only a small sub set of weaponry. We have to discuss why people do these things and how do we determine which people are most likely to commit these atrocities and how are we going to prevent them from committing these acts. That is a far more difficult discussion than blabbing on about scary looking guns.

Regulating objects is easy compared to identifying and restraining murderous people. It is also completely ineffective in preventing these atrocities. We should stop wasting time on the easy and start doing something that might prevent these events.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 12-20-2012, 08:02 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,524,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashed Potatoes View Post
For those over emotional people who never let facts get in the way of their media driven bs: Do you even know what an "assault rifle" is?

An AR15, like was used in Newtown is NOT an assault rifle, no matter how many retards in the media, or uninformed ahole politicians claim it is.

Designating it an evil "assault rifle" is simply playing to emotions of the sheep.
Here. It took me to seconds to look this up for you. Next time - do it yourself:

[CENTER](b) DEFINITION OF SEMIAUTOMATIC ASSAULT WEAPON- Section 921(a) of title 18, United States Code, is amended by adding at the end the following new paragraph:
`(30) The term `semiautomatic assault weapon’ means–
`(A) any of the firearms, or copies or duplicates of the firearms in any caliber, known as–
`(i) Norinco, Mitchell, and Poly Technologies Avtomat Kalashnikovs (all models);
`(ii) Action Arms Israeli Military Industries UZI and Galil;
`(iii) Beretta Ar70 (SC-70);
`(iv) Colt AR-15;
`(v) Fabrique National FN/FAL, FN/LAR, and FNC;
`(vi) SWD M-10, M-11, M-11/9, and M-12;
`(vii) Steyr AUG;
`(viii) INTRATEC TEC-9, TEC-DC9 and TEC-22; and
`(ix) revolving cylinder shotguns, such as (or similar to) the Street Sweeper and Striker 12;
`(B) a semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of–
`(i) a folding or telescoping stock;
`(ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;
`(iii) a bayonet mount;
`(iv) a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and
`(v) a grenade launcher;
`(C) a semiautomatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of–
`(i) an ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip;
`(ii) a threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer;
`(iii) a shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel and that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the nontrigger hand without being burned;
`(iv) a manufactured weight of 50 ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded; and
`(v) a semiautomatic version of an automatic firearm; and
`(D) a semiautomatic shotgun that has at least 2 of–
`(ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;
`(iii) a fixed magazine capacity in excess of 5 rounds; and
`(iv) an ability to accept a detachable magazine.’.[/CENTER]

Old 12-20-2012, 08:09 AM

LOL you are using the federal defintion from the AWB as your credible source?

I suppose you also accept the feds defintion that marijuana is a drug so powerful and dangerous, it must be listed as a schedule 1 narcotic, the same as heroin and meth, but worse than cocaine lol.

Old 12-20-2012, 08:16 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,173,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Here. It took me to seconds to look this up for you. Next time - do it yourself:

[CENTER](b) DEFINITION OF SEMIAUTOMATIC ASSAULT WEAPON- Section 921(a) of title 18, United States Code, is amended by adding at the end the following new paragraph:
`(30) The term `semiautomatic assault weapon’ means–
`(A) any of the firearms, or copies or duplicates of the firearms in any caliber, known as–
`(i) Norinco, Mitchell, and Poly Technologies Avtomat Kalashnikovs (all models);
`(ii) Action Arms Israeli Military Industries UZI and Galil;
`(iii) Beretta Ar70 (SC-70);
`(iv) Colt AR-15;
`(v) Fabrique National FN/FAL, FN/LAR, and FNC;
`(vi) SWD M-10, M-11, M-11/9, and M-12;
`(vii) Steyr AUG;
`(viii) INTRATEC TEC-9, TEC-DC9 and TEC-22; and
`(ix) revolving cylinder shotguns, such as (or similar to) the Street Sweeper and Striker 12;
`(B) a semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of–
`(iii) a bayonet mount;
`(iv) a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and
`(v) a grenade launcher;
`(C) a semiautomatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of–
`(i) an ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip;
`(ii) a threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer;
`(iii) a shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel and that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the nontrigger hand without being burned;
`(iv) a manufactured weight of 50 ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded; and
`(v) a semiautomatic version of an automatic firearm; and
`(D) a semiautomatic shotgun that has at least 2 of–
`(iii) a fixed magazine capacity in excess of 5 rounds; and
`(iv) an ability to accept a detachable magazine.’.[/CENTER]
What you listed is the definition contained in the AWB "ban" in effect from 1994-2004. Notice that outside the specific named weapons, the definition is strictly cosmetic. This particular definition is not a legal definition today.

Old 12-20-2012, 08:17 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,007,828 times
Interesting that the only reason Mashed Potatoes joined this forum is to keep talking about the definition of 'assault weapons'.

It is a shame that, after the horrors of last week, the only thing that seemed to offend was that certain people were calling the murder weapon an assault weapon.

Old 12-20-2012, 08:22 AM

1,229 posts, read 1,147,309 times
The term assault came form the Stg 44 its went on to mean a weapon not a full Battle cartridge and not a sub machine gun and select fire. bla bla bal. Gay does not mean a person who is happy the sun is out today either. Things change and like it or not you idiots keep beating a dead horse and guess what? Only other gun nuts give a crap about your definition. You are preaching to the crickets. Assault weapon now has come to mean semi auto with detachable mag. If the people start to accept that it means a wrist rocket than its changed again. Keep up and live in the now. Your stamping your feet on what Assault weapon means will do absolutely nothing in the debate.

Are you that stupid to think that someone will say, Ohhh, excuse me I thought that assault weapon was a semi auto, bla bla bal well then lets scrap the idea of doing more gun laws? Jesus freaking Christ, get real.

Old 12-20-2012, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Interesting that the only reason Mashed Potatoes joined this forum is to keep talking about the definition of 'assault weapons'.

It is a shame that, after the horrors of last week, the only thing that seemed to offend was that certain people were calling the murder weapon an assault weapon.
Yes, I should be drawn and quartered for expecting people to actually know what they are talking about, especially when it has the potential to impact literally tens of millions of American citizens.

Please forgive me for expecting people to act like mature and intelligent adults instead of overemotional retards who want to ban something they know nothing about

Old 12-20-2012, 08:25 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashed Potatoes View Post

This has been pointed out several hundred times since last Fri. AR-15 is an assult rifle according to the Clinton federal Bill, Mitt Romney MA Bill, and the media. Everyone else calls them for that they are: semi automatic rifles
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies