Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2012, 04:17 PM

408 posts, read 607,023 times

Advertisements

Growing up in Montreal, I've only ever seen a gun strapped on a police officer's waist. I have never encountered a person who's admitted to owning a gun for protection, nor have I ever seen a gun in a person's home, be it for hunting or the shooting range. Being said, I've always figured (depending on which state) that if I ever moved to the U.S. one of the first things I'd do is look into purchasing a gun for personal protection. Mind you, I have no affinity for guns - rather, I wouldn't want to be the only guy on the street without one...

I know most Canadians are quick to judge our neighbors down south for their love of guns. I try keep a more nuanced perspective, as I am mindful of the historical, demographic and judicial differences between the US and Canada. Being said, our ''culture'' is nearly identical - there's no use hiding the fact that violent media, and the romanticizing of violence, is equally prevalent in both countries.

With all the talk surrounding gun laws, I figured it would be informative to create a thread where Americans & Canadians could discuss what it was like for them moving up north & down south, respectively, with regards to the significant differences in gun possession laws between both countries.

If you have lived in both countries, that makes you more than qualified to share your story. I'd love for you to answer the following questions:

• What state/province did you live in originally? Could you give a brief run-down of gun laws in said area?

• What state/province did you move to? What are gun laws like there?

• How did you adjust to new laws? (did you purchase or part ways with guns as part of the process?)

• Do you feel safer or less safe in this new environment? Has having or not having a gun affected your sense of safety?

• How has the move affected your view of gun possession laws in your country of origin?

• Do you think Canada has any role to play in the formulation of American gun laws, and vice versa?

I for one, am absolutely dumbfounded as to why there would be even the slightest opposition to banning assault weapons in the US. Having grown up feeling 100% safe virtually all the time, it goes without saying I don't have very many bad things to say about the Canadian system. On the other hand, I am sure there are Americans out there who feel their guns saved their lives at least once - in which case they must view Canadian gun laws as a public health safety. This is why I am so interested in knowing your stories... you know, so we can have a meaningful dialogue!

For those of you coming here just to be informed, feel free to share your perspectives as well!
Thanks!

EDIT: given the vast differences in gun laws between different US states, feel free to share your experience going from one to another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2012, 04:25 PM

408 posts, read 607,023 times
My initial post kind of makes it seem as though Montreal is a gun-free utopia. Keep in mind this is not the case, and we've had our share of school murder sprees. The polytechnique massacre in 1989 claimed the lives of 14 female engineering students, and the Dawson college shooting in 2007 resulted in the death of a young woman. (and could have been much worse).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies