Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2012, 12:47 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,644,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Lets start with keeping them from buying guns! It probably needs to be extended to those on physoactive medications. I'm not sure someone taking Paxil every day just to "cope" is a good candidate to own firearms.
Considering that anti-depressants are the most prescribed drugs in America, that's going to be a heck of a lot of people.

CDC: Antidepressants most prescribed drugs in U.S. - CNN
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2012, 12:49 PM

39,843 posts, read 26,477,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Considering that anti-depressants are the most prescribed drugs in America, that's going to be a heck of a lot of people.

CDC: Antidepressants most prescribed drugs in U.S. - CNN
Unfortunately, you're very correct. I am a strong supporter of RKBA and am concerned about restricting anyone's rights. However, it's hard to advocate that someone on an "anti-depressant" are good candidates as gun owners. This part of the database would be pretty easy to create.

Old 12-24-2012, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Unfortunately, you're very correct. I am a strong supporter of RKBA and am concerned about restricting anyone's rights. However, it's hard to advocate that someone on an "anti-depressant" are good candidates as gun owners. This part of the database would be pretty easy to create.
What's even scarier to me is that Seroquel, a potent anti-psychotic that used to be reserved for the treatment of schizophrenia, is now #6 on the top 10 best-selling name-brand prescription drugs in the U.S. That's an awful lot of people on a very serious drug. Astra-Zeneca did a major marketing push to have Seroquel used for more common mental disorders like depression, based on questionable company-sponsored research, and apparently they succeeded.

Old 12-24-2012, 12:57 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,702,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
What's even scarier to me is that Seroquel, a potent anti-psychotic that used to be reserved for the treatment of schizophrenia, is now #6 on the top 10 best-selling name-brand prescription drugs in the U.S. That's an awful lot of people on a very serious drug. Astra-Zeneca did a major marketing push to have Seroquel used for more common mental disorders like depression, based on questionable company-sponsored research, and apparently they succeeded.
I am aware of a few people who have been prescribed this for insomnia.

Old 12-24-2012, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I am aware of a few people who have been prescribed this for insomnia.
Yes, that's an off-label use.

Old 12-24-2012, 01:05 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,440,440 times
Quote:
Today it is anti-depressants, tomorrow it will be Tylenol. People will manufacture any excuse to supress the inherent rights of others. Any law-abiding citizen is a good candidate to be a gun owner.

Old 12-24-2012, 01:10 PM

Playing devil's advocate here ( I think).
Should developmently disabled people be allowed to buy guns?

Old 12-24-2012, 01:14 PM

Background checks are controversial among many supporters of gun rights. An NRA-backed bill to end criminal background checks for many people trying to buy guns passed the Michigan House, last year. The state senate rejected the bill.

Just 2 days before the Newtown shooting, the NRA announced its intention to pursue a change in law again next year.

Old 12-24-2012, 01:49 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,584,391 times
Quote:
What are the standards by which one is "adjudicated mentally incompetant"? I'm thinking being a registered Democrat would be a sufficient indication

If you want a serious response, ask a real question.

Legal competency has to be determined by an M.D.

also Its "adjudication" and "competency" if you want to look up the actual words and correct spelling to posit an intelligent question.

Old 12-24-2012, 01:54 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,584,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
typical troll thread with inflammatory remarks.
Complete with no comprehension of the legal system.

Maybe he needs to see dr rima laibow

shes against psychotropic meds. But is for dna microchipping., among other things. she was also lanza's supposed dr.

2012 December 21 « The Story Behind The Story
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies