Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2012, 09:36 PM

3,040 posts, read 2,577,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Is it acceptable to you that 20 little children were slaughtered by a military assault rifle that was obtained legally by an unqualified citizen with a mentally unstable child in the house?

All I've seen is "Arm the teachers" That is not practical. That is idiotic.

So what are your suggestions on how we deal with this ever worsening situation?
You make it sound like it was a full auto. It was NOT!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2012, 10:21 PM

4,698 posts, read 4,069,915 times
Quote:
Is it acceptable to you that 20 little children were slaughtered by a military assault rifle that was obtained legally by an unqualified citizen with a mentally unstable child in the house?

As being quite pro-gun I would advocate to go after gun safety. Make gun owners responsible if their gun kill other people. Mandate that guns who are not on person needs to be locked and unloaded.

It would not stop this incident, but very little would have stopped this incident. This guy was willing to kill his own mother. If not from his mother he would have gotten the guns from somewhere else. To prevent incidents like this, more psychiatric help would work. Also, it wouldn't hurt if someone in the school was trained to use guns.

Old 12-20-2012, 10:36 PM

5,821 posts, read 5,301,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
OK,It's a snow day so I'll bite...You won't agree with a single one of my personal suggestions but here it goes.....
1) Immediately confiscate, register, control, limit acess too any and all violent video games.
2) Cease and desist the mainstreaming of the mentally ill. Re-establish a modern institutional care network for same...
3) Return to society the importance, control, and power of the monogamous two parent male/female family units, With the power to discipline children.
4)Cease and desist the policy of making everyone a winner...Kids need to be taught that there are loser and winners....
5) Return firearm training to the elementary/middle school ciriculium where it used to be...

should I waste more band width???
All good ^^^^^^^^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post
England has something like ~14x the per-capita violent crimes vs. the US, along with 6x the per-capita rape/sexual assault statistics. Sure, we could be like them, but why would we want to.

Stop blaming the tool. Would we hold some sort of moral superiority if he came in with a jug of gas and burned them all to death. I'm angry thinking about that guy and what he did, but I hold him responsible not an object.
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
I have personally made a number of suggestions, but the anti-gun folks are unyielding and unreasonable, so there is no longer a point in discussing it. You don't want to hear the truth and you don't accept it.. The problem exists not because of gun ownership, but rather the lack of ownership in raising our children properly. They no longer value human life. Until you fix that problem you can ban anything you like and the problem will still exist. You will meerly exhange guns for pipe bombs or more deadly means of death and destruction.
This man killed his own mother while she slept!!! He was crazy!!!

I know over a hundred people who own guns, they (or their guns) have never killed anybody.
Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people.

Old 12-20-2012, 10:49 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,190,568 times
Quote:

we say arm the teachers because it is very true that the federal gun ban inside schools has not worked. in fact having gun free schools has just made it worse. it makes schools easy magnets for people who wish to commit murder.

our solution is a very easy one, as yours sure as hell isnt working. maybe the opposite of what the feds are doing is the solution to the problem.

Old 12-21-2012, 01:26 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,923,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Did it ever occur to you that there are no practical solutions to most things?

Ending poverty, ending drug abuse, ending gun violence.
Absolute rubbish. No, it is not possible to have a nation full of millionaires, but it is absolutely not necessary to have only 2% of the population having truly enviable wealth, gun violence and drug abuse and other social ills drop away into insignificance when the economic opportunity gets more fair. And that is very possible.

H

Old 12-21-2012, 01:28 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,961,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
What do you mean by "pro gun." My family hunts, we live in a rural area (farming and ranching country) and we have a case full of rifles and shotguns. We use them to 1) hunt, 2) kill wild critters when they're in the wrong place (like attacking livestock) or when they're dangerous to people, and 3) protect ourselves in the rare event that someone would try to break into our home (which has never happened, as it has never happened to anyone that we personally know). Still--people do have break ins out here, and law enforcement isn't just a few minutes away. I think you'd be surprised at the number of people like my family who would support regulation on high capacity magazines--the kind that let you shoot lots of ammo in seconds without reloading. It's driving me crazy that some on both sides of this issue are trying to make it black and white--either you're "pro gun" or "anti gun" when it's a lot more complicated than that.
You do realize most of your fellow gun owners here are not that reasonable. Congratulations.

Old 12-21-2012, 01:56 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,923,967 times
I have read somewhere that by the time the average child is 12 s/he has seen some 1500 acts of murder and other kinds of physical violence on TV. That doesn't take the modern phenomenon of first person shooter video games into account!!!! The comfort with physical violence, the culture of physical violence, that cannot be addressed via gun control. However, truly effective gun control would definitely blunt the destructive potential of potentially destructive individuals. Repairing an abdominal gunshot wound is close to 50K. I would venture that these are largely uninsured persons receiving these services from receiving hospitals all over the country. The taxpayers bill has to be staggering. There are dozens of these incidents a day!

Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely. You cannot mix gun carriers and non-carriers in civil society anymore. A majority of the population do not want to have to live in Dodge City and be on a constant scan for hostiles day and night. I know personally someone who knows someone who shot his own son to death because his son decided to surprise him and meet him at the train station and walk him home. These incidents happen all the time. Daily I suspect. Mainstream media (thankfully) is just not equipped to fully deliver all the horror that is taking place on an hourly basis in this country because of guns.

The U.K. has higher rates of civil crime than the rest of Europe because the dominant Anglo Saxon population in the U.K. is the same one that colonized America. Much of the rape in America is unreported. Were that not the case I am certain you would see identical rates of rape in the U.S. and the U.K. per capita. Guns don't figure heavily in rape incidents in the U.S. and they don't figure at all in rape incidents in the U.K. America is the U.K., Canada, and Australia without controls on the inbuilt capacity of the Anglo Saxon male for xenophobia, territorial aggression and acquisitiveness. The American Constitution guaranteed unfettered carte blanche to the worst characteristics of human avarice and folly.

My Jamaican forebears have a saying: "You can't start crooked and cut straight..." this is a reference to carpentry where a cut in wood must be started absolutely perpendicular to the cut line. The slightest deviation will only get worse as the saw progresses and it cannot be rectified. The Constitution got America off to a very rebellious and unrepentant start. It wasn't going to go anywhere good. Gun advocates will state with some relief that it is not possible to do anything about guns because there are 300 million of them out there. True, but only 22% of Americans own them. That's a manageable amount of people to subdue and disarm. They won't go down without a fight. Its hard throwing away that $50 blank of fine wood that was going to become the top of a coffee table but... ...

There is no possible good outcome to proceeding any further down this dark road of violence. There is always a turning point. The shot heard round the world. The world is watching America right now. We've got Global Warming, a Fiscal Cliff, Gun Control... interesting times...

H

Old 12-21-2012, 02:05 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,344,416 times
Simple. Social Dwarwinism. Make it easier to lock up folks who are crazy. In many countries, just looking at someone wrong can get you locked up.

Take the Colorado shooter for example, or the Virginia Tech shooter, even Columbine....folks knew these people were crazy. And there was no pathway to keep society safe from them. Too many "freedoms" and restrictions from getting those folks locked up.

Practical solution? More authority for school counselors, mental health workers, to get these crazy folks locked up. Not miles of red tape.

Old 12-21-2012, 02:07 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,518,637 times
Quote:

I haven't seen one practical solution from anyone. From what I've read, it wasn't the assault rifle the shooter used. I read that that was found in his car. So the knee jerk reaction of ban assault rifles wouldn't have helped.

The problem isn't guns, it's the person doing the shooting. I haven't read one reasonable solution to that problem.

Old 12-21-2012, 02:09 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,518,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Simple. Social Dwarwinism. Make it easier to lock up folks who are crazy. In many countries, just looking at someone wrong can get you locked up.

Take the Colorado shooter for example, or the Virginia Tech shooter, even Columbine....folks knew these people were crazy. And there was no pathway to keep society safe from them. Too many "freedoms" and restrictions from getting those folks locked up.

Practical solution? More authority for school counselors, mental health workers, to get these crazy folks locked up. Not miles of red tape.
I have to agree with you here. There is so little help for families dealing with mental illness yet they are blamed when something goes wrong. The mentally ill person is the one with all the rights and those rights give them enough rope to hurt someone before they are put away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies