Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 08:53 AM

58,812 posts, read 27,139,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
What ? You don't like the idea of 2-3 million More guns in the public schools ? In the hands of stressed, frustrated, angry people who can lock a door and control a whole class ? Who in some schools can barely manage discipline with teens who'd love to have those guns ? I mean, what could possibly go wrong with arming teachers ?

Think of the smaller teacher/student ratio as wussy parents who'd rather not have their kids in schools with guns in the hands of teachers pull their kids out.

The NEA and AFT, sissy teachers' unions, wrongly oppose the idea. They apparently don't understand that a teacher who'd harm students could bring a bookbag of knives or a satchel of swords to school if they want to kill anyone.
I find great irony in this type of opinion.

It seem whenever thers is a dicussion about teacher and pay and the teacher's unions all we hear is how great teachers are. How they handle so much stress, etc,. etc., etc. Now you say they can't handle the stress. Hmm!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2012, 10:24 AM

1,515 posts, read 1,222,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
Even were such an idea to come into being, there are a vast number of people (including teachers) who don't have the ability to actually take a life.

Having a weapon and having the will to use it are two different things. Ask a deer hunter about those who freeze at the time to take the shot. Ask how many in the military, if they will answer honestly, if they have ever been in combat and did they actually shoot to kill or just fire for effect.

This is a terrible idea.

Any teacher who is such an abject coward that they won't train and arm themselves to protect the children in their care, and be willing to fiercely do so if necessary, DOES NOT deserve to have any children in their care!

Old 12-22-2012, 11:11 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,738,021 times
I would rather see custodians as trained/armed guards, makes a lot more sense than teachers who are closed in a classroom with 30 students. Custodians move around the building continuously and are not responsible for 30 students in a classroom.

Old 12-22-2012, 11:28 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,541,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerMtn View Post
Any teacher who is such an abject coward that they won't train and arm themselves to protect the children in their care, and be willing to fiercely do so if necessary, DOES NOT deserve to have any children in their care!
So now if one doesn't want to train and arm themselves, they are a coward?

How, exactly do you measure the bravery of someone you have never met, never seen in a life or death situation?

Reaching with your name calling there, aren't you?

Old 12-22-2012, 11:31 AM

61,289 posts, read 87,291,819 times
disaster preparation is good.
a high tech surveillance system to spot firarms entering the schools and letting real police deal with it is even better.
the disturbing part of all this is the extremely slow time for police response to emergency.
we may need to all of the above not just one solution.

Old 12-22-2012, 11:37 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,414,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
I agree with what you say. However that doesn't mean I agree with the law.

As I stated, the SC has NOT ruled on the new amendment.

Several states being fed up with the fed intrusion into what they fell are state issues have started to challenge some of the fed laws and are being successful.

Again any law can be revised or a new law can supersede the old law.
I certainly do not agree with the law either. As a result of that law Alaska cannot use the indoor gun ranges that we intentionally built into our high schools since the 1970s to teach firearm safety and proper gun control.

The new State law in Texas allowing qualified teachers to be armed in schools may give them immunity to State prosecution, but they are still violating federal law. At least until the law is repealed or the Supreme Court tosses it out.

Old 12-22-2012, 11:41 AM

10,553 posts, read 9,634,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
disaster preparation is good.
a high tech surveillance system to spot firarms entering the schools and letting real police deal with it is even better.
the disturbing part of all this is the extremely slow time for police response to emergency.
we may need to all of the above not just one solution.
The police arrived relatively quickly in Newtown. What allowed the killer to murder so many children so quickly was because of his high-capacity assault rifle, which allows you to slaughter 20 children in 2 to 3 minutes.

Old 12-22-2012, 11:44 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,364,104 times
Mandate that teachers must be armed then I'll just leave education.
That's not the type of life I want to lead. If I did then law enforcement or a military career would have been my choices.

I'm not anti gun though, just wouldn't want a job that requires me to be armed and ready to shoot.

Old 12-22-2012, 11:53 AM

3,514 posts, read 3,719,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
That's not the type of life I want to lead. If I did then law enforcement or a military career would have been my choices.

I'm not anti gun though, just wouldn't want a job that requires me to be armed and ready to shoot.
I think there is now a serious question that a teacher is more than just a teacher, it seems, and not just to do with grades of life teachings. That teachers now have the added responsibility of being put in a potential situation of saving not only their life, but that of their students. It's not any easy thing to parse through on the moral-dilemma scale, but I'm not sure how it can be denied that it is indeed on the scale. A responsibility beyond even a fire drill. If such training is paid for by donations by companies, I think it would at least help to go through the program. It's an uneasy conversation, not saying it isn't. These psychos are serious, unfortunately.

Old 12-22-2012, 12:03 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,414,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

I agree. Teachers should not be required to enforce the law. That is not their job. It would be an improvement, however, if the Gun-Free School Zone Act of 1995 was repealed. Then qualified teachers who wanted to bring their firearm to school voluntarily, or schools that want to teach firearm safety and gun control, will be allowed to do so.

Repealing that one law will give the next wacko (and there will be others) pause before choosing a school since there may, or may not, be firearms present. The Gun-Free School Zone Act of 1995 makes it a virtual certainty that schools will continue to be their favorite target for future nut-jobs hell-bent on killing lots of people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies