Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should it be mandated that citizens wear seat belts?
Yes 63 49.61%
No 64 50.39%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 04:59 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,206,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
The seat belt law doesn't prevent you from driving, it doesn't make it impossible for you to start your car, it is simply an added risk you take when not wearing one. Seriously, go for a drive today without a seat belt on, I doubt you will instantly get a ticket for it.
That isn't my point and you know it. You're deflecting.

Old 01-02-2013, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
again. its the law

don't like it. don't drive. Simple really

Dont like, then work to get it changed

Until then, you put on the seat belt whether you like it or not.

Really, I don't care about your reasons why you think its unjust or not. the law is the law. If you don't like it again, YOU have the right ot MOVE to somewhere that there are no seat belt laws.

and if I had it my way, EVERYONE in an enclosed vehicle would be forced to wear a seat belt, even those in the back seat, even on school buses. and there would be no exceptions for classic cars (those cars made before Seat belts were made mandatory to the car manufacturers)
I'm interested to know what other "safety" laws you would support.

Old 01-02-2013, 05:03 AM

Quote:
State governments do, much like state governments create and control laws for seat belts.
The government does not direct (by law and punishment) adults to use or not use cigarettes/alcohol like they tell you to use seat belts.

Old 01-02-2013, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Why don't you answer this question: The government tells us what and what not to do every day. They tell us not to speed, they tell us that we can't buy narcotics, they tell us that we can only go on green and stop on red. How is a seat belt laws any different from these other laws?

I could care less about the reasons for why they mandate seat belt use. It may be for federal money to have seat belt laws. It may be because insurance companies are pressuring the government since they don't want to pay out the hundreds of thousands of dollars in medical expenses , car repair/replacement, and/or funeral costs, which are later passed on to other policy holders in higher premiums (and this is how non-seat belt wearers affect the GENERAL public) - this is why I think government should mandate seat belt use, and require it on all enclosed vehicles that travel on public roads.

Driving is a privilege, and as with any privilege it can be revoked at any time, and sometimes, for any reason.

Live with it. YOu have the choice of moving to a state that doesn't have seat belt laws.
Speeding endangers others as does not following traffic patterns. My wearing a seatbelt endangers me. No one else. You will have to be more specific on narcotics.

Old 01-02-2013, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Not wearing a seat belt and ignoring the facts that it increases your safety within a vehicle is pretty stupid to me.
Funny, I think the same of people telling others how they should conduct their personal business with their own bodies.

Old 01-02-2013, 05:07 AM

Quote:
I already answered it. Your idiocy to not follow laws, AFFECT me financially. I'll see it in the premiums I pay for car insurance to allow me to drive on public roads every day, when morons who do not follow the law get into accidents, causing thousands of dollars in damage whether to themselves or to others and property.

Why should I pay for your stupidity?

I was just involved in a car accident recently. Seat belts saved my life. It also saved the life of the woman who hit us. She broke her leg in the process, and damaged completely our 12 year old car and her BRAND NEW import.

My Emergency room care bill was $12,000. That's $12,000 that will be assessed against the person I was with car insurance policy and MY personal car insurance policy (depending on what their coverage covers). The woman's medical bill is in the HUNDRED thousand dollar range.

That's $12K that would not have been caused if the woman had heeded the traffic lights and didn't run a red. And that a hundred thousand dollars worth of damage that will now have to be paid out by the insurance companies involved.

What do you think it would cost to cover if one of us died? My policy goes up to $500,000 that would be paid out due to an accident (depending on type of accident).

Who do you think PAYS for these payments? The customers of the insurance companies, as the cost is passed onto them in the form of reduced coverage, or higher premiums.

So I ask again, why should I pay for someone's stupidity by their actions, in my jacked up premium rates?

Any number of behaviors affect others financially. Should all of them be mandated?

Old 01-02-2013, 05:53 AM

4,188 posts, read 3,726,224 times
Quote:
I already answered it. Your idiocy to not follow laws, AFFECT me financially. I'll see it in the premiums I pay for car insurance to allow me to drive on public roads every day, when morons who do not follow the law get into accidents, causing thousands of dollars in damage whether to themselves or to others and property.

Why should I pay for your stupidity?

I was just involved in a car accident recently. Seat belts saved my life. It also saved the life of the woman who hit us. She broke her leg in the process, and damaged completely our 12 year old car and her BRAND NEW import.

My Emergency room care bill was $12,000. That's $12,000 that will be assessed against the person I was with car insurance policy and MY personal car insurance policy (depending on what their coverage covers). The woman's medical bill is in the HUNDRED thousand dollar range.

That's $12K that would not have been caused if the woman had heeded the traffic lights and didn't run a red. And that a hundred thousand dollars worth of damage that will now have to be paid out by the insurance companies involved.

What do you think it would cost to cover if one of us died? My policy goes up to $500,000 that would be paid out due to an accident (depending on type of accident).

Who do you think PAYS for these payments? The customers of the insurance companies, as the cost is passed onto them in the form of reduced coverage, or higher premiums.

So I ask again, why should I pay for someone's stupidity by their actions, in my jacked up premium rates?
Again, I dont think this is about breaking the law, this is whether or not they should be mandated. So say I tell the insurance company I choose to not wear a seatbelt and they increase my premiums...id be ok with that would you? It would be no additional cost to what you are currently paying.

Im glad everyone survived the accident but what does that have to do with mandating seatbelt use?

As far as insurance premiums, I have stated before..I lived in NH most of my life where there is no seatbelt law, nor do you have to carry insurance on a car that is paid for...my insurance premiums were far lower than in any other state I have ever lived in.

Isnt insurance there just for the incident you described? Its all calculated risk. And if I cause an accident my insurance premium does go up...it only makes sense that it would. DOes insurance slightly go up every year...yes it does...just like the price of milk goes up every year. Its a part of life.

Old 01-02-2013, 07:46 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,056,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
You can call it whatever you'd like. Should locking your door be mandated by the government too?
No, there isn't enough proof that it increases safety....that and just about every new car on the road already locks its doors automatically. Things like this can be changed through car companies rather than laws.

Of course they could get rid of the law and make it so new cars don't start without a seat belt on but that would be much more annoying than a seat belt law.

Old 01-02-2013, 07:49 AM

Quote:
That isn't my point and you know it. You're deflecting.
Then what is your point? My point was that the seat belt law doesn't prevent you from driving it just increases your risk when you do much like speeding does. If you speed it doesn't mean you will get caught every time, it just means your risk increases as you are breaking the law.

Old 01-02-2013, 07:50 AM

Quote:
The government does not direct (by law and punishment) adults to use or not use cigarettes/alcohol like they tell you to use seat belts.
Really? Go stand outside near a cop while drinking a beer and let me know what he tells you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies