Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should it be mandated that citizens wear seat belts?
Yes 63 49.61%
No 64 50.39%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 08:32 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,127,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
So do you wish to talk about smoking, drinking, and motorcycle riding more than seat belts? Seems like seat belts aren't the biggest issue so do you want me to focus on those things instead cause you have definitely proven that there are much more dangerous things out there.
Not really. I'm fine with those laws the way they are. I don't want to outlaw any of them. All of the above outside of motorcycle riding can have a physically negative influence on the general public though. Seat belts can not.

Old 01-08-2013, 08:39 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Not really. I'm fine with those laws the way they are. I don't want to outlaw any of them. All of the above outside of motorcycle riding can have a physically negative influence on the general public though. Seat belts can not.
Well I already gave you the facts to show you that it does, you just chose to ignore them and continue to base your argument on opinion....oh, did you find any polls on seat belt laws besides this one that was done recently? I haven't found anything that is remotely official, so I don't think anyone really cares about getting rid of this law. Your 63% for seat belt laws and this poll that is split 50% aren't really persuasive to your argument.

Oh and have you proposed this to the town you live in, seeing that a seat belt law can be changed in your state by popular vote?

Old 01-10-2013, 11:31 AM

5 posts, read 2,900 times
[SIZE=3]Gtownoe has made many good points and seems to have all the real facts. I would like to put this on the ballet to see if the public would choose freedom or forced seatbelts. As an adult, I believe I have the right to wear or NOT wear a seatbelt. This law protects the causes of accidents and punishes the victims. If somebody runs into me, then that person should pay all damages regardless of what I am wearing. Seatbelts by the way are not the cause of decreased fatalities in accidents Passive restraint systems, like airbags are. Not too muddy the conversation but according to CDC.gov, more people have died of the flu than car crashes but we are not being forced with an unjust law about wearing surgical masks. If you wear a mask, you may not kill me with your flu, but if you wear a seatbelt that does not stop you from killing me with your car, and I do not think that I should have to live my life by the way others are disrespecting each other. That is simply not my concern. I also do not want my privacy invaded, by anyone not even a police officer, when they peak in my windows to see what I might or might not be wearing. If you do this to your neighbor, the police will let you know just how wrong you are, why can they do it to me?[/SIZE]

Old 01-10-2013, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captian_America View Post
[SIZE=3]Gtownoe has made many good points and seems to have all the real facts. I would like to put this on the ballet to see if the public would choose freedom or forced seatbelts. As an adult, I believe I have the right to wear or NOT wear a seatbelt. This law protects the causes of accidents and punishes the victims. If somebody runs into me, then that person should pay all damages regardless of what I am wearing. Seatbelts by the way are not the cause of decreased fatalities in accidents Passive restraint systems, like airbags are. Not too muddy the conversation but according to CDC.gov, more people have died of the flu than car crashes but we are not being forced with an unjust law about wearing surgical masks. If you wear a mask, you may not kill me with your flu, but if you wear a seatbelt that does not stop you from killing me with your car, and I do not think that I should have to live my life by the way others are disrespecting each other. That is simply not my concern. I also do not want my privacy invaded, by anyone not even a police officer, when they peak in my windows to see what I might or might not be wearing. If you do this to your neighbor, the police will let you know just how wrong you are, why can they do it to me?[/SIZE]
Thanks for contributing and I feel the same way. There really is no logical argument for supporting seat belt laws. The only way it would be logical is if you were FOR outlawing all of the above (smoking, drinking, motorcycles, etc). For those who make it about safety, be about safety. Don't pick and choose.

I honestly believe if it was back on the ballots things would change. I'll be bringing the issue up this year in a project I'm working on. As well as many other unjust laws.

Old 01-10-2013, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Thanks for contributing and I feel the same way. There really is no logical argument for supporting seat belt laws. The only way it would be logical is if you were FOR outlawing all of the above (smoking, drinking, motorcycles, etc). For those who make it about safety, be about safety. Don't pick and choose.

I honestly believe if it was back on the ballots things would change. I'll be bringing the issue up this year in a project I'm working on. As well as many other unjust laws.
You will never understand the difference between bans and laws. You are right, smoking, drinking, motorcycles, etc are more dangerous and if someone was or outlawing those things, they would also be for outlawing driving in general. Making a law that says you can get a ticket for not wearing a seat belt is not the same thing as banning you from being able to drive.

Are you ever gonna let this silly "if you support seat belt laws then you must want to ban everything dangerous" garbage? I feel like every time I point this out to you, you seem to ignore it and then go back to pretending that laws and banning are the same thing.

Old 01-10-2013, 02:30 PM

I will be looking forward to that project you mentioned and I hope there is something I can do to help with it. I still do not understand why we have to study, be evaluated, and then pass a standardized test in order to drive. However, we can go out and shoot guns by paying the guy at the range his fee. My car is registered, insured, and tracked by the government from manufacture to disposal. My neighbor does not have to care insurance on his gun incase his kid does something childlike one day. I will fight so she can have the right to the choice to own a gun. I think that what America is all about though is “choice” and the right to make our own.

Old 01-10-2013, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captian_America View Post
I will be looking forward to that project you mentioned and I hope there is something I can do to help with it. I still do not understand why we have to study, be evaluated, and then pass a standardized test in order to drive. However, we can go out and shoot guns by paying the guy at the range his fee. My car is registered, insured, and tracked by the government from manufacture to disposal. My neighbor does not have to care insurance on his gun incase his kid does something childlike one day. I will fight so she can have the right to the choice to own a gun. I think that what America is all about though is “choice” and the right to make our own.
It's definitely good to hear from people who share the same vision. I'm hoping I can get things completed by the summer. We don't have any political or corporate backing so we'll be free to do some pretty cool things if we're successful. If I'm still posting then I'll make a mention.

Old 01-11-2013, 05:52 AM

I wonder if Urbanlife is a liberal Shill.

Non-stop posting yesterday. ALL against conservatives and Republicans.

Old 01-11-2013, 09:11 PM

Wink I'ld rather do it myself mohter!!!!

I am a registered Democrat and see no reason to attack others for their political affiliation. I feel we can all work together to take America back from those who would impose their beliefs on others. The best way to start is with this crazy seatbelt thing. I call it a thing because it is too absurd to be considered a real law, except in the respect that we need to make the nanny state government repeal it. I hope we can get Urbanlife to see the point we are trying to make. I'm sure he does not really feel that it is his duty to babysit the country.

Old 01-11-2013, 09:13 PM

Quote:
I wonder if Urbanlife is a liberal Shill.

Non-stop posting yesterday. ALL against conservatives and Republicans.
Well I do identify myself as a Liberal and tend to be on the opposite opinion of Conservatives and typically Republicans, but what does this have to do with seat belts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies