Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should it be mandated that citizens wear seat belts?
Yes 63 49.61%
No 64 50.39%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 09:18 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,158,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
Some of them have started already. In NYC food service establishments, you can no longer buy a soft drink larger than 16oz.
And with the soda ban you have yet to see people wandering around the city chugging 2 liters cause they can't buy a soda bigger than 16oz.

Old 12-22-2012, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Seat belt laws are State laws and the States certainly have the legal right to regulate it.
Bingo.

Old 12-22-2012, 09:20 AM

9,742 posts, read 4,490,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
The issue with that is that stops can lead to other offenses arising due to the seat belt. If the seat belt law was a tax (which I think you are suggesting) then it should be a secondary offense. Not a primary offense. Not wearing a seat belt does not cause you to have an accident.
Then I guess what you are saying is that you are not against seatbelt laws just merely how they are executed. There is some merit in that position since there can be some suggestion as to lackof evidence on the part of law enforcement. The question then would be what would the alternative law be? Perhaps, a law that releives insurance companies of medical cost reimbursement (or a hefty portion of) if it is determined you were not wearing a seat belt.

Old 12-22-2012, 09:21 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,120,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Ya, until another vehicle hits them....
Or you die of something else. Are you honestly going to sit here and tell me I'm going to die of an auto accident because I don't wear a seat belt at all times?

What's your statistical, religious, philosophical background? I probably have a greater chance dying of gun violence as a black man than I do dying in a car accident because I was not wearing a seat belt.

I'll pick and choose which risk I take than you. I think smoking is one of the worst things you can do to your body. It greatly increases your chance for death. However I don't feel it should be outlawed. I don't want a government deciding my life for me.

Old 12-22-2012, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
Then I guess what you are saying is that you are not against seatbelt laws just merely how they are executed. There is some merit in that position since there can be some suggestion as to lackof evidence on the part of law enforcement. The question then would be what would the alternative law be? Perhaps, a law that releives insurance companies of medical cost reimbursement (or a hefty portion of) if it is determined you were not wearing a seat belt.
That's a key factor in my position. You should have to be breaking the law (law in the sense causing harm or loss to another) to be pulled over. People are not criminals because they don't wear seat belts IMO.

Old 12-22-2012, 09:25 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,142,009 times
Quote:
Or you die of something else. Are you honestly going to sit here and tell me I'm going to die of an auto accident because I don't wear a seat belt at all times?

What's your statistical, religious, philosophical background? I probably have a greater chance dying of gun violence as a black man than I do dying in a car accident because I was not wearing a seat belt.

I'll pick and choose which risk I take than you. I think smoking is one of the worst things you can do to your body. It greatly increases your chance for death. However I don't feel it should be outlawed. I don't want a government deciding my life for me.
""""Are you honestly going to sit here and tell me I'm going to die of an auto accident because I don't wear a seat belt at all times?"""

No, but you may if you don't buckle up....but if that's really too hard physically and mentally for you to do...then I don't really care.....

Old 12-22-2012, 09:26 AM

Quote:
So adult's lives don't matter?

So children whose parents are thrown through the windshield are better off than those who don't loose their parents??? Weird thinking!!!

Not wearing a seat belt is irresponsible parenting...
I survived an accident where I wasn't strapped in. My sister wasn't strapped in either. I'm still here typing.

If you want to argue that seat belts increase your chance of surviving an accident you won't have anybody here to argue with.

Old 12-22-2012, 09:28 AM

Quote:
""""Are you honestly going to sit here and tell me I'm going to die of an auto accident because I don't wear a seat belt at all times?"""

No, but you may if you don't buckle up....but if that's really too hard physically and mentally for you to do...then I don't really care.....
Get over yourself. Just because you don't understand the concept of risk doesn't mean I'm stupid for not always wearing a seat belt.

Maybe I should start a smoking thread and tell motorcycle drivers how they're gonna die. Maybe we should just ban motorcycles all together.

Old 12-22-2012, 09:31 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,142,009 times
Quote:
I survived an accident where I wasn't strapped in. My sister wasn't strapped in either. I'm still here typing.

If you want to argue that seat belts increase your chance of surviving an accident you won't have anybody here to argue with.
Quote:
Get over yourself. Just because you don't understand the concept of risk doesn't mean I'm stupid for not always wearing a seat belt.

Maybe I should start a smoking thread and tell motorcycle drivers how they're gonna die. Maybe we should just ban motorcycles all together.
"""""I survived an accident where I wasn't strapped in. My sister wasn't strapped in either. I'm still here typing.""""""

And you tell ME to get over myself!!! When you use ONE example to "prove" your point?!

Again, I'm sorry that that horrible strenuous complicated event of buckling a seat belt is beyond you.

Old 12-22-2012, 09:38 AM

Quote:

Maybe this will help you understand.
Quote:
Motor vehicle crashes are the leading cause of death
in the first three decades of American’s lives. In 2009
alone, crashes killed over 33,000 people and injured
another 2.2 million—more than 70% of these were in
passenger vehicles and trucks.

More than half of the people killed in car crashes
were not restrained at the time of the crash.1 Wearing
a seat belt is the most effective way to prevent death
and serious injury in a crash.

Seat belt use is on the rise. Laws, education, and
technology have increased seat belt use from 11%
in 19812 to nearly 85% in 20103, saving hundreds of
thousands of lives. Yet, about 1 in 7 people still don’t
buckle up.

Most drivers and passengers killed in crashes are
unrestrained. 53% of drivers and passengers killed
in car crashes in 2009 were not wearing restraints.

Seat belts dramatically reduce risk of death
and serious injury. Among drivers and front-seat
passengers, seat belts reduce the risk of death by
45%, and cut the risk of serious injury by 50%.

Seat belts prevent drivers and passengers from
being ejected during a crash. People not wearing a
seat belt are 30 times more likely to be ejected from
a vehicle during a crash. More than 3 out of 4 people
who are ejected during a crash die from their injuries.

Seat belts save thousands of lives each year, and
increasing use would save thousands more. Seat
belts saved almost 13,000 lives in 2009. If all drivers
and passengers had worn seat belts that year, almost
4,000 more people would be alive today.

CDC - Seat Belt Facts - Motor Vehicle Safety - Injury Center
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies