Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 03:55 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,537,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Cars are not designed for the sole purpose of killing. Guns are.

Besides "in the United States, only motor vehicle crashes and cancer claim more lives among children 5–14 years old than do firearms."

http://www.policyarchive.org/handle/...eams/96411.pdf
I don't know about that. When was the last time you were hit by something going 70MPH and lived? Cars are quite well designed for killing. Too bad I can't use one if someone breaks into my house at 4 AM.

Actually, no. I've seen guns used for things like target practice and hunting. In fact, I don't know a single person (who isn't a cop) who has used their gun to kill a person. I know people who have run intruders off but none that killed with their guns.

As your link shows, we can save more children's lives by banning cars than we can by banning guns alltogether, which I'd never stand for. If someone wants to own a gun for protection or hunting, that is their right. If I were to buy a gun, it would be an assault rifle. Why? Because my only use for a gun would be if society collapsed and then I'd want all the fire power I could get. While a gun might be used to fend off an intruder I'm too concerned about leaving a loaded gun around. I have thought about buying one just in case a major solar flare takes out the power grid. It's predicted that half the world's population will not survive such an event and desperate people will do desperate things.

Yes, something I'm going to use for my protection needs to be capable of doing grave harm. If it isn't, the intruder just laughs at me.

I don't think guns are an issue. I think some people who use guns are an issue but I don't think making guns illegal will stop them. They're not the type to listen to laws anyway. You're punishing the law abiding citizen for what those who don't listen to laws anyway do. That seems silly to me. About as silly as banning cars but you could save a lot of lives that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2012, 08:53 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,502,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
They've been posted before (by me, for one). Do a search.
Katiana, you should know better than most people here that the burden of proof here is on you, not me. A simple request for those numbers should be easy enough for you to find and post.

Old 12-21-2012, 09:01 PM

5,821 posts, read 5,303,363 times
Default Would you give up your car to save a childs life?

A few years ago I was wrestling with my 7 year-old-grandson. I had him in a headlock,
but he overpowered me, and got away. I was/am faced with the reality that I could not
defend myself (or my family) against even a young adult. I believe, I have a God-given
right to defend myself. The Second Amendment confirms it.

Old 12-21-2012, 09:44 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
Katiana, you should know better than most people here that the burden of proof here is on you, not me. A simple request for those numbers should be easy enough for you to find and post.
I'm not spending a half hour digging through google when I know I posted links a few days ago. You can look. Someone else did post a link after I posted that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies