Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 11:43 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,906,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Columbine had an armed resource officer on duty on that fateful day. Why do the "we need guns in schools" crowd never address that fact?
Wayne LaPierre Wants Armed Guards at Schools. Columbine Had an Armed Guard.

Yep, Columbine had an armed officer and it still didn't work out well. Spending tens of billions each year putting one armed officer in every school is a stupid idea. A much better solution is to make sure the wrong people don't get their hands on guns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2012, 11:51 AM

4,300 posts, read 4,408,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post

Yep, Columbine had an armed officer and it still didn't work out well. Spending tens of billions each year putting one armed officer in every school is a stupid idea. A much better solution is to make sure the wrong people don't get their hands on guns.
Then having armed guards for The President, politicians, at court houses is also a stupid idea because they haven't worked? Sorry, they do work and if you would educate yourself on the timeline of Columbine, you would see that the Deputy (who happened to be there, but in the parking lot) did engage Harris and he made a small difference. To compare that to a school who has armed deputies (like my 3 boys High School) is silly. The armed guards in our school (of over 3 thousand students) has helped, not only in gang violence, but also with the bullying problem that goes with it (and non-gangster types). It doesn't solve the problem by itself, but it is an important part of a more comprehensive plan to help deter violence.

Old 12-23-2012, 11:54 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,937,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post

OK. I agree with part of that. The wrong people should not have guns. The question is, how do we prevent these "wrong people" from having guns, while not infringing the rights of the other 300,000,000 people?

Personally, I'm a fan of biometrics. Fingerprint locks on triggers, that sort of thing. As in, my gun will only fire if my finger is pressed against the ID scanner. That way, even if someone steals my gun, it's no more useful to him than a club.

Old 12-23-2012, 12:02 PM

45,379 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
NRA trained guards are one thing. NRA supplied guards for money are another. And I don't think the NRA charges for training anyway.
It doesn't. States that have Hunter Safety Education (most of the states) and have range practice as part of the course require a Range Safety Officer conduct that aspect of training. The qualification for the Range Safety Officer? NRA certified.

What boggles my mind in parts of this thread are those folks, who like to project an air of all-knowingness, don't realize that armed police officers have been a fixture in middle and high schools since the 1990's. Rural, suburban and urban, many school systems have them. Even after the grant funding went away.

Old 12-23-2012, 12:06 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,782,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Columbine had an armed resource officer on duty on that fateful day. Why do the "we need guns in schools" crowd never address that fact?
Let me get this straight.

The government-uber-alles crowd is trying to tell us that since men with guns stopped most of the mass shootings (some after they took a long time to get there), and didn't stop one of them....

...therefore we should NOT have men with guns at possible mass-shooting sites?

The basic intelligence, and even the sanity, of these people is slipping at ever-increasing rates as their agenda fails.

Old 12-23-2012, 01:12 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
William McKinley actually.
True. But McKinley was murdered by an anarchist, not a guy who had served in the Marines.

Old 12-23-2012, 02:16 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,339,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
The old "the President has armed guards" card. It's been played like the Ace of Spades around here lately.

One reason that's necessary is because a Marine named Lee Harvey Oswald shot and murdered a President in 1963.
How many students have been murdered? Is the president the only vulnerable American deserving of protection?

I "survived" the 1966 U. of Texas Tower sniper shooting in 1966, and witnessed 1st hand how armed students fired back at Charles Whitman, clearly saving numerous lives without a doubt. And a civilian with his personal handgun assisted the two police officers in killing the deranged sniper.

Old 12-23-2012, 02:18 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,845,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
How would you know? You don't know.....
Yes i do know.............
Where were the guns any good when JFK was assasinated or Reagan shot etc etc etc.... oh there were plenty of guns but "shooters" will always work around them, no matter how many security guards etc have guns.
I have lived in a couple of Countries with strong gun laws and YES the gun laws work. No parent worries about their Children in school being gunned down as the chances of that are extremely small. YES no matter what the gun law and no matter how tough there will always be some nut out there who can get a gun but in the USA massacres from guns is becoming the "norm" and NOT the exception..... that is Bad, Bad, Bad and the ONLY way to bring the number of massacres down is by strict gun laws.... works all over the World. We are 13 times more likely to be shot here than in any other Country with tough gun laws..... Oh how proud you must be to have a Country more akin to Middle East Countries like Iran, Iraq, Palestine, Goa etc as far as guns.
I know the feeling of NOT being afraid of where the next gunshot will ring out but that is not the case here in the USA.
Anyone who cannot see that amongst the problem's here with the frequent massacres is the ease of how guns can be obtained is blind.
We hear people saying that the last ban on assault rifles didn't work..... what a surprise when the "ban" was only on new sales and did NOTHING to address the problems of the assault rifles already in homes and did nothing to stop illegal sales on the internet etc.
I listened to the chef of the NRA today and heard him blame EVERYTHING else for the gun problem here Except Guns....... The guy is not only a IDIOT but a DANGEROUS IDIOT..... all he is concerned about is how much money will be lost by his movement and the weapons and ammo makers...... Disgusting.

Old 12-23-2012, 02:31 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,339,664 times
geero - the 1994 AWB didn't affect much of anything except the law-abiding consumer.

It took no "assault" weapons off the street that weren't already there....and the US homicide rate was already on the decline. In fact at least 2,000,000 US manufactured ARs & Mini-14s were produced & sold to Americans during that period.

Columbine happened 5 years after the Clinton/Biden "AWB".

The only dangerous idiots we have are the criminals, the violent mentally ill, and those feelgood fools who think "gun free zones" are the answer.

Old 12-23-2012, 11:12 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
The only dangerous idiots we have are the criminals, the violent mentally ill, and those feelgood fools who think "gun free zones" are the answer.
Disagree. Many family members have been shot because someone thought they were an intruder. Those shooters are certainly dangerous idiots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies