Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 07:18 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,443,536 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering whether we as a country could slowly phase out the use of guns. Obviously it's not going to happen tomorrow, so don't bother with kicking-down-doors straw man attacks here.

The problem is that guns are a part of our culture and have so many proponents. They're even enshrined in an amendment to our Constitution, though pointing to that as justification is incorrect because the amendment process still exists. I'm sure owning guns is a fun hobby, but can't we collectively realize that the proliferation of these machines is inevitably going to result in some casualties? We ban drugs which can only kill ourselves, yet the concept of extensively banning tools designed to kill others with maximum efficiency is considered laughable by many. Why can't we change as a culture?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2012, 07:44 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times
Yep. Luckily we banned drugs long ago and they are only a distant memory recounted in the history books, right?

Old 12-21-2012, 07:49 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,323,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Yep. Luckily we banned drugs long ago and they are only a distant memory recounted in the history books, right?
And alcohol. The eighteenth amendment was behind more deaths and mayhem than the second ever could be.

Old 12-21-2012, 08:02 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
I'm wondering whether we as a country could slowly phase out the use of guns. Obviously it's not going to happen tomorrow, so don't bother with kicking-down-doors straw man attacks here.

The problem is that guns are a part of our culture and have so many proponents. They're even enshrined in an amendment to our Constitution, though pointing to that as justification is incorrect because the amendment process still exists. I'm sure owning guns is a fun hobby, but can't we collectively realize that the proliferation of these machines is inevitably going to result in some casualties? We ban drugs which can only kill ourselves, yet the concept of extensively banning tools designed to kill others with maximum efficiency is considered laughable by many. Why can't we change as a culture?
Are guns necessary? In a word "Absolutely!"

The Second Amendment is the only part of the US Constitution where the people have the right to ensure that all of our other constitutionally protected rights remain protected.

Furthermore, humans are only on top of the food chain because of our ability to manufacture and use tools. Where I live Spring is typically marked by a bear mauling or two in addition to moose stompings. Last Spring a 6 year-old girl was stomped by a moose, and we had several bear maulings. I do not venture into the Alaskan bush without being armed for bear and/or moose. Thus far, in the last 21 years, I have not had to shoot a bear or moose in self-defense, and I want to keep it that way. However, it is always better to have a firearm and not need it, than to need a firearm and not have it.

Old 12-21-2012, 08:34 PM

3,702 posts, read 4,851,427 times
Here's a bit of a thought. Forget hunting and target practice for a minute. We are a large country with vast resources. We could be totally self-sustained and do well. There are poor countries with egomaniacs running them. I'm pretty sure there are people who would like to take over our country for it's resources. If not now, perhaps in the future. We have no way of knowing what is on the horizon. That is one reason we keep a strong military. However, if something like that were to take place our armed citizens outnumber all the other military in the world and I think that is well known. True, we don't have the training as the military does but we have local knowledge and numbers so I believe we could put a hurting on any invaders. I think if we were to be known as being an unarmed society it would open up many doors for evil to enter. Lets just keep where we are.

Old 12-21-2012, 08:36 PM

6,193 posts, read 5,368,535 times
Wow, it's nice to know we can win wars, defend ourselves against governments, crazies, wackos, robbers, etc. with just a plea for mercy.

Whoda thunk it?

I wonder if those kids were pleading for mercy? The teachers at least? The Jews in WWII? The innocent nuns the Japs carved up in public.

It's a great day now knowing we can beg for our lives. But will that be granted?

I prefer the guarantee.....you stare down the barrel of a gun for whatever reason and it changes your mind. And having the ability to level the playing field feels a lot better than begging or pleading for your life from the above mentioned crowd. I prefer to walk away from such a confrontation rather than dead under a sheet with red stains.

Old 12-21-2012, 08:45 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times
WTF is wrong with you people?

Did StinkyProgress send out a mass zombie email or something?

I mean droves of the not-too-bright have been posting new thread after new thread saying almost exactly the same things but in a particularly systematic way with only slight changes to the zombie-like propaganda.

This reeks of White House 3rd world populism Chicago style propaganda.

Old 12-21-2012, 09:02 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,501,354 times
I witnessed a young adult female change her mind about guns (IMMEDIATELY!!) when.... she had returned to her high-rise condo in CA from Japan (a dramatic time change). Though she had gone to bed, she was wide awake – trying to go to sleep. She heard what she thought was her roommate unlocking the door and entering the condo about 12:30 AM, except that her roommate always turned on a light and checked the answering machine (in the days just before cell phones) – neither of which happened.

Then, she saw the shadow of a person coming down the hall toward her bedroom. She froze!! The intruder must have seen the ‘lumpy’ bed and retreated, leaving the condo quickly. It was later discovered to be a building maintenance person who possessed a master key and thought no one was home!!

I had mentioned my own interest in handguns to this young lady, and right after this happened, she excitedly asked me how to get a handgun, and training, etc. And she proceeded to get one, lessons, etc, and felt much better having the option to protect herself.

IMO, handguns = female equalizer. Until you can offer an alternate ‘equalizer’, ah, TAKE A HIKE!!

Old 12-21-2012, 09:22 PM

1,487 posts, read 1,707,417 times
A potato gun is necessary as long as you've got some brussel sprouts to go with 'em.

Old 12-21-2012, 10:30 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,369,351 times
The million people a year who use guns to protect themselves would say yes guns are necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies