Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 06:39 AM

19,020 posts, read 14,198,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boboluv View Post
The purpose of the 2nd amendment is declared in the amendment itself... it is necessary to the security of a free state. Power must remain in the hands of the people if they are to remain free.
Methinks you are mixing concepts.

You secure your person or property by defending it. And a nation collectively secures its people and their property by cooperating in the mutual defense of it.

Exercising power is not synonymous with defense.
A nation can exercise power by invading other nations that have not overtly or covertly attacked them, but that is not an act of self-defense. That is piracy.

Freedom is a "Buzz word" - not the goal. You may be free to act, but if you injure another, you're responsible for the consequences.
What people want is natural liberty - the freedom to think, decide and act upon their person and property, limited only by natural law.
" Natural liberty is the right which nature gives to all mankind, of disposing of their persons and property after the manner they judge most consonant to their happiness, on condition of their acting within the limits of the law of nature, and that they do not in any way abuse it to the prejudice of other men."
- - - Bouvier's Law Dictionary
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2012, 08:50 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,194,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Methinks you are mixing concepts.

You secure your person or property by defending it. And a nation collectively secures its people and their property by cooperating in the mutual defense of it.

Exercising power is not synonymous with defense.
A nation can exercise power by invading other nations that have not overtly or covertly attacked them, but that is not an act of self-defense. That is piracy.

Freedom is a "Buzz word" - not the goal. You may be free to act, but if you injure another, you're responsible for the consequences.
What people want is natural liberty - the freedom to think, decide and act upon their person and property, limited only by natural law.
" Natural liberty is the right which nature gives to all mankind, of disposing of their persons and property after the manner they judge most consonant to their happiness, on condition of their acting within the limits of the law of nature, and that they do not in any way abuse it to the prejudice of other men."
Pollyannish poppycock. The 2nd amendment is to insure that the people can remove the government if it ever stops representing the will of the people.

Old 12-23-2012, 09:16 AM

19,020 posts, read 14,198,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Pollyannish
poppycock.
The 2nd amendment is to insure that the people can remove the government if it ever stops representing the will of the people.
I do not think it means what you think it means. (kudos to Inigo Montoya)

Pollyanna - An excessively cheerful or optimistic person.
Poppycock - nonsense

Can you tell me which clause of the USCON says government represents the "will of the people"?
"But, indeed, no private person has a right to complain, by suit in Court, on the ground of a breach of the Constitution. The Constitution, it is true, is a compact, but he is not a party to it. The States are the parties to it. And they may complain...."
- - -Padelford, Fay & Co. vs. Mayor and Alderman, City of Savannah, 14 Ga. 438, 520 (1854) Supreme Court of Georgia
Since "private people" are not parties to the USCON, how can that compact represent their will?

However, we can read in the Declaration of Independence that governments are instituted among men to (1) secure rights and (2) govern those who consent.
Securing rights does not mean "will of the people". It means prosecuting deliberate injury and adjudicating accidental injury.
And those who consent, waived their rights and became subjects to be governed. As such, they do not rule but are ruled by the "will of others".

If you consider natural liberty to be nonsense, that's your choice.

Old 12-23-2012, 09:22 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DentalFloss View Post
If it results in 5 kids killed instead of 20, yes.

It's interesting you're willing to accept the lower total of five dead kids. So once again, apparently, the Second Amendment triumphs over the right of the child to live. Is that how it works?

I'm not willing to accept ONE dead child because of gun violence. Five dead instead of 20 ? That is still abhorrent to me. One dead child is two many. One dead child is a parent putting them into the ground because some one used a gun. Five kids shot is an abomination against God and nature. Pity so many in our society don't consider it an abomination because kids are going to continue to die unless this country wakes up.

Old 12-23-2012, 09:38 AM

2,677 posts, read 2,616,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I'm not willing to accept ONE dead child because of gun violence. Five dead instead of 20 ? That is still abhorrent to me.
It is to me as well. But the simple fact of the matter is, humans are cursed with the fact that some of us are nucking futs, and occasionally wig out and go on homicidal rampages. Now, if you have a way to prevent that from ever happening again, I'm all ears.

In the meantime, I'd like to do whatever we can to reduce the body count when it does happen.

Old 12-23-2012, 10:38 AM

59,029 posts, read 27,290,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Oh sorry for the confusion, I thought that statement was an easy one to understand. I don't trust people I see walking around that aren't in the military or an officer of the law. That last part I left out because I didn't think it would be so confusing, but I corrected it for you.
When you say "anyone" with no exclusions, I take what you say, NOT what you mean.

Thank you for the clarification.

Old 12-23-2012, 11:37 PM

2,256 posts, read 2,130,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
It's interesting you're willing to accept the lower total of five dead kids. So once again, apparently, the Second Amendment triumphs over the right of the child to live. Is that how it works?

I'm not willing to accept ONE dead child because of gun violence. Five dead instead of 20 ? That is still abhorrent to me. One dead child is two many. One dead child is a parent putting them into the ground because some one used a gun. Five kids shot is an abomination against God and nature. Pity so many in our society don't consider it an abomination because kids are going to continue to die unless this country wakes up.
Kids are going to die anyways.

Get used to it...

Why don't you try banning leukemia?

Old 12-24-2012, 02:06 AM

7,473 posts, read 4,014,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by julian17033 View Post
Forget the high capacity magazines.

Here's the Smith & Wesson 500 which is also a 50 caliber gun only it's a revolver.

This will also remove an arm or take of an entire head of a human yet you people worry about a Bushmaster hunting rifle.

Your hilarious in your ignorance concerning what can and cannot do damage. That's the scary part, the public being uninformed.

However....... I only need to wait for him to fire 5 rounds. then I can jump him and beat him to death with it..........instead of waiting for him to use an 18 or 27 round magazine........

Old 12-24-2012, 02:07 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,858,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post

What's the first impression you get when you see this gun? What are your thoughts about a person owning a gun like this? What kinds of emotions does it provoke?

Honest, forthright impressions please.
I'm not an "anti-gunner" though I am a liberal, and it seems most pro-gun conservatives think that they're one and the same... and I haven't read any of the responses yet... but... I'm pretty sure that's a handgun (Glock?) with an add-on, carbine-type body/stock?

Old 12-24-2012, 02:43 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,239,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post

What's the first impression you get when you see this gun? What are your thoughts about a person owning a gun like this? What kinds of emotions does it provoke?

Honest, forthright impressions please.
Twenty children won't have a Merry Christmas.
Six teachers and staff members will never teach again.
- Charlotte Bacon, 2/22/06, female
- Daniel Barden, 9/25/05, male
- Rachel Davino, 7/17/83, female.
- Olivia Engel, 7/18/06, female
- Josephine Gay, 12/11/05, female
- Ana M. Marquez-Greene, 04/04/06, female
- Dylan Hockley, 3/8/06, male
- Dawn Hochsprung, 06/28/65, female
- Madeleine F. Hsu, 7/10/06, female
- Catherine V. Hubbard, 6/08/06, female
- Chase Kowalski, 10/31/05, male
- Jesse Lewis, 6/30/06, male
- James Mattioli , 3/22/06, male
- Grace McDonnell, 12/04/05, female
- Anne Marie Murphy, 07/25/60, female
- Emilie Parker, 5/12/06, female
- Jack Pinto, 5/06/06, male
- Noah Pozner, 11/20/06, male
- Caroline Previdi, 9/07/06, female
- Jessica Rekos, 5/10/06, female
- Avielle Richman, 10/17/06, female
- Lauren Rousseau, 6/1982, female (full date of birth not specified)
- Mary Sherlach, 2/11/56, female
- Victoria Soto, 11/04/85, female
- Benjamin Wheeler, 9/12/06, male
- Allison N. Wyatt, 7/03/06, female
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies