Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you support a back ground check transfer on all private sales of guns
It if would save one childs life I would support closing the gun show loop hole 15 42.86%
If it would save 50 children I would support closing the gun show loop hole. 2 5.71%
No, My freedom to by and sell is more important than kids lives. 13 37.14%
No I don't think criminals get guns in private sales that are not checked. 5 14.29%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 11:26 AM

41,815 posts, read 51,008,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Why would you want unhindered private sales of guns?
Why should the transfer of legally owned property between two citizens be hindered?

When I say hindered what I mean is creating a situiton where you have to go through some ridiculous amount of red tape, a dealer etc. I don't want to see a situation develop where I'm paying some ridiculous fees to some private entity, have to hire a lawyer (don't laugh) or a gun broker just because I want to sell my gun.

If you're going to pass a law "All private gun sale will require a background check that will performed by the government at cost" will suffice instead of the 500 pages that the legislator pushing this will try and pass off as a law for background checks.... nevermind that other 499 pages. We'll find out what's in in it later...

Old 12-22-2012, 11:40 AM

1,684 posts, read 1,184,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Why should the transfer of legally owned property between two citizens be hindered?

When I say hindered what I mean is creating a situiton where you have to go through some ridiculous amount of red tape, a dealer etc. I don't want to see a situation develop where I'm paying some ridiculous fees to some private entity, have to hire a lawyer (don't laugh) or a gun broker just because I want to sell my gun.

If you're going to pass a law "All private gun sale will require a background check that will performed by the government at cost" will suffice instead of the 500 pages that the legislator pushing this will try and pass off as a law for background checks.... nevermind that other 499 pages. We'll find out what's in in it later...
Standard transfer fees start in 2012 at $20. I've seen some FFLs charge as much as $80 - $100 before.

It should come out of these libotards own pockets.

Old 12-22-2012, 11:43 AM

Not to mention WHY the guy is selling it himself in the first place.

More than likely, he already took it to a gun shop and was offered HALF of what it is worth.

*********...I'm selling it myself.

My $489 GLOCK isn't worth $250 a week later.

Old 12-22-2012, 01:38 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,411,913 times
I think the obvious solution is a national ID card. Make it mandatory and biometric for citizens only. They should be color-coded to differentiate between good citizens and bad citizens.

If you want to vote, national ID card.

Show up at the ER without it and we stabilize you and deport you.

If you want to buy a gun, show your ID card.

Felons can't vote, so they have a bad ID that's not good for a gun.

Kids under 21 have their own color.

If you don't have a problem limiting constitutional rights this shouldn't bother you at all.

Old 12-22-2012, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
I think the obvious solution is a national ID card. Make it mandatory and biometric for citizens only. They should be color-coded to differentiate between good citizens and bad citizens.

If you want to vote, national ID card.

Show up at the ER without it and we stabilize you and deport you.

If you want to buy a gun, show your ID card.

Felons can't vote, so they have a bad ID that's not good for a gun.

Kids under 21 have their own color.

If you don't have a problem limiting constitutional rights this shouldn't bother you at all.
We used to have that, then they took it away with these robotard new drivers licenses with bar code crap.

It used to be if you were under 21, you had a red background behind your picture.

If you were over 21, you had a blue background behind your picture.

I bet there was a lot less mistakes in math that way when buying age restricted products.

Old 12-22-2012, 01:49 PM

18,351 posts, read 26,473,745 times
Yeah, I'm sure a criminal will decide they can't buy a gun in a back alley because the law says they need to go to a dealer first. Yeah, that sure will work, they might be murderers, but they will not buy a gun without going to a dealer first to get a background check done.

Old 12-22-2012, 01:51 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,411,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Yeah, I'm sure a criminal will decide they can't buy a gun in a back alley because the law says they need to go to a dealer first. Yeah, that sure will work, they might be murderers, but they will not buy a gun without going to a dealer first to get a background check done.
Clearly we will have to install video cameras in every back alley in the country. Or maybe we can just ban back alleys.

Old 12-22-2012, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Not too many buy them at gun shows, I'll tell everyone that much. I attend approx 40 gun shows a year...we're not fools. You know who should and shouldn't have one. You're a owner yourself.

I've seen many told to beat it before. They wouldn't show a drivers license or CCW...refused to sign a bill of sale....looks like a druggie etc........

Get out of here man>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Old 12-22-2012, 01:54 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,789,685 times
As a gun owner, I have no problem doing background checks at gun shows. I have to get one when I buy a gun at a store so its really no different to me.

Old 12-22-2012, 01:56 PM

3,219 posts, read 7,078,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by never-more View Post
Did you just not post a similar thread a few days ago? I do not see what you are trying to get us to see with these threads. This is almost considered trolling.
It is trolling..my freedom to buy and sell guns is more important than kids lives??? Nice biased poll, OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.