Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2012, 06:36 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,837,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
Nonsense. Are you saying my daughter and son, with the same mother and father, are two different races? Are you saying one is mixed and the other black. Are black skinned Asians black? This is the problem with your logic. Had this country's black people went the way of Brazil, we would be in the same situation as them. Blacks in Brazil are so divided, they are just barely accomplishing things AA achieved decades ago. Brazil is a country ran by a white minority where over 50% of the people have black african ancestry. It's pitiful. Many AA trailblazers were light and some even had direct non black lineage. I cannot imagine what this country would be like if those people had insisted they not be categorized as "negro" , "colored", black, etc.
Many LatAm "white" people would be called mixed or even "colored" here in the US. It's like the "1 drop rule" goes the OTHER way there since there are so few "pure" white people and they want to fatten up their "white" numbers. Mariah Carey would be white down there.

Old 12-26-2012, 06:38 PM

77,855 posts, read 60,003,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
People who are 'half' black, such as the President, are usually considered just 'black' by most whites and blacks alike. I think in the US census they're 'mixed race', but aren't many also classified as 'black'?

Anyway, historically must mulattos have been of the same or slightly higher status than full blacks, so culturally most have more in common with African American culture. These days, most either identify as black or mixed race.

Yet if a half and half person actually chose to even say they were 'white', people would either laugh at them or they'd be accused of hating their race, especially by other blacks. They'd probably cop a lot of flak for being self-hating, white wannabes.

So I'm wondering, if a half black person can identify as 'black', is it socially acceptable for them to 'identify' as 'white' either?

FTR I think having to 'identify' yourself is kind of silly. If asked, it's probably pertinent just to say you're mixed race, but if forced to 'choose' which side they are on, it seems they will invariably go with the black side, which is more obvious, since white is the 'default.'
People can identify however they see fit. Unless it's something fraudulent like if somebody tried to apply for a scholarship for native americans and wasn't.

Old 12-26-2012, 06:41 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,837,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
In the jim crow south Bruno Mars better drink from the colored fountain. Lol. Seriously, I read a story about this asian american civil rights activist. She said one thing that inspired her is that her father had come to study in the US in the south during Jim Crow. He was not treated well, mostly ignored on campus. One day he was out and decided to have a drink. He chose the colored fountain. A policeman approached him and told him he should use the white fountain as he was not a negro. Her father came to the conclusion that it wasn't because the whites saw him as one of them, but to belittle the negros.
Wow. Tho back in the Jim Crow day word was many Asians were counted as "white" under the laws like the half white kids of Cheng and Eng Bunker in N Carolina.

Old 12-26-2012, 06:42 PM

2,674 posts, read 4,378,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
People can identify however they see fit. Unless it's something fraudulent like if somebody tried to apply for a scholarship for native americans and wasn't.
You have so missed the point of this discussion.

Let's slide beneath the surface of things...

It's the why you're identifying as one thing vs another- no the right to self-identify- which by the way doesn't matter- It's Breakfast Club rules- You see us as you want to see us, in the simplest terms, the most convenient definitions.

Old 12-26-2012, 06:42 PM

3,494 posts, read 4,657,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Add to this the attitudes (which have been on full display by some of the biracials in this thread) that their non-Black ancestry makes them "superior" to Black Americans and this is the actual heart of the discussion.
Finally, someone says it.

It doesn't in the eyes of white folk, it doesn't in the eyes of most biracial folk...yet this is the fear.

It's why we're claimed....as if we're running away.

We're not.

Still, it's different.

Come home to a white parent everyday of your whole life before talking about "we're all the same".

We're not. Sorry.

Our struggles were different.

Old 12-26-2012, 07:12 PM

2,256 posts, read 2,123,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Your rude response reeks of immaturity and ignorance.

(hits the ignore button)
So you are rude and when someone responds in kind you cry...

That's a bit stereotypical.

There is NO superiority. We are merely saying we ate NOT you. We have different experiences. We have different cultures.

Get over it and move on.

This is the same nonsense we mentioned.

We aren't you so we are "uppity" and want to be white and think we are superior. Nice to know that you are part of the people we've been talking about.

I've seen people like you my whole life. The "you are us or you want to be white" crowd. GTFO with that nonsense...

Old 12-26-2012, 07:18 PM

61,289 posts, read 87,159,137 times
unfair to choose?. choosing is ok. i know those who have done so. they do choose for themselves. we give ourselves permission. the greater society is neutral on this point.

Old 12-26-2012, 07:19 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,953,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyDay View Post
Honestly I think you're flying a false flag.
Me thinks you also doth protest too much.

You're mixed. That's cool. Roll with it. You're light-skinned I assume, bonus points. However Jennifer Beals, Halle Berry, Paula Patton, Lisa Bonet are all 'mixed' or 'metisse' yet obviously have Black in them, which by general consensus makes them black in the eyes of most. But, most also realize they are an admixture as well.

I'm not sure what type of experiences or ostracization you faced when younger- whether it was real, imagined or self-imposed. However common sense-wise, if you're in an all Black area- of course they realize your mixed- but still black- it's when you insist on being called mixed as though it's separate, above and superior to being black- that's where all your problems and pains likely started. Sadly, this self-hatred can be smelled by non-blacks as well and you're a flag without a post, nothing to prop you up.
And if someone said that they were treated badly by whites for being mixed, would you say this? Other mixed people on this very thread have said the same thing I've been saying: neither blacks nor whites accept as fully. We are another race all together. Who hard is that to understand?

And for the tenth time, could someone explain to me how someone who is as proud of his African ancestry as I am suffers from "self hatred"? So it's "self hatred" to not like ghetto culture? And yes, in America today, black is equated with ghetto and when people say "you don't talk black" they mean I speak proper English.

Quote:
You're mixed. But America sees you as a light skinned Black person. Not a thing wrong with that. And honestly if you're that light- people can see it girl, it comes across as an agenda when you lead with 'I'm not black, I'm mixed'.
No, America sees me as "ahh.... Latino? Indian?" Very few people ever assume I'm black when they first meet me. I look mixed and am treated as such. Americans rank mixed race people ahead of blacks socially | theGrio

Do I like being treated better than Nigerians? No. Do I think I am better than full blacks? Absolutely not. I mean, I am not black and say as such so do some, that means I "think I am better than blacks." Okay...I am not Japanese, does that mean I think I'm better than Japanese?

Also, America is not the world. Anywhere else on Earth I am not "black" but "mixed" and only America has this one drop rule crap invented by racist whites centuries ago that only some blacks cling to today. Furthermore, America is becoming more and more like the rest of the world every day:http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/30/us...anted=all&_r=0

You can complain all you want, but you will be like an old geezer holding on to his 8 track in an age of Ipods in the years to come.

Old 12-26-2012, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymouseX View Post
So you are rude and when someone responds in kind you cry...

That's a bit stereotypical.

There is NO superiority. We are merely saying we ate NOT you. We have different experiences. We have different cultures.

Get over it and move on.

This is the same nonsense we mentioned.
^^^
Thank you! I would rep you, but I can't anymore.

How is saying "we have a different experience from blacks"= "you hate your black ancestry"?

And they get mad when I point out that only some (but not all) blacks are the ones who insist we are not mixed but black and nothing else? Whites see us as just another group of non-whites, which we are. Black? For some of them, there are blacks and whites and no other group on Earth...so, ah, who are those people in China exactly?

Old 12-26-2012, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Wow. Tho back in the Jim Crow day word was many Asians were counted as "white" under the laws like the half white kids of Cheng and Eng Bunker in N Carolina.
So we should live are lives according to the days when the South was run by racist whites? Yep, that is "liberating" right there.

Why not go further back in time than sixty years ago? Why not 1,500 years ago? That means that all Frenchmen, English, Spaniards and Portugese have to call me master

HBO Rome - First 3 Minutes - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies