Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2012, 10:53 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,520,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
From the same thread:

Why I am no longer Black. (or, black racism is getting me angry)

I love Africa and being of African blood...it is the whole "you don't be no African! Those baked pigs feet and gangsta rap is all you be cause you be black and don't be readin' no book and acting like a white boy" mindset that I hate.
I am offended that you think this is all there is to a black american. I don't know what sort of prison pigeon your black parent was, but many of us are middle class and strive to defy stereotypes.

Old 12-26-2012, 11:00 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,520,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly1224 View Post
Your dad's situation is different, since he was raised as a black man, by black parents. The same however is not true for a mixed individual who is raised as biracial and then told by society that they should identify solely as black, simply because they may have tan or brown skin.
What about full black adopted children with white parents in the suburbs? How should they identify?

Old 12-26-2012, 11:08 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,978,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
All African Americans are mixed. So please, GTFOH with this silly idea that you're SPECIAL!!

For the 10,000th time, if a black man who is 12% European says they are mixed because a distant ancestor they never met is white, that is just as ridicules as Jackie Kennedy saying she's black because she had a distant black ancestor.

Second, once again, I will ACTUALLY POST SOME FACTS:

Quote:
Earlier, cruder studies, done before direct genetic testing was feasible, suggested that African-Americans were 25 or even 30 percent white. Shriver's project is not complete, but with data from 25 sites already in, he is coming up with 17-18 percent white ancestry among African-Americans. That's the equivalent of 106 of those 128 of your ancestors from seven generations ago having been Africans and 22 Europeans.
Race Now: #2: How White Are Blacks? How Black Are Whites? by Steve Sailer for UPI; Mark. D. Shriver, admixture, genetic, gene, race, miscegenation, African-American, passing, Sally Hemmings

And I never said I was "special", just said I am not black. If I came out of a white mother, than that means I cannot be black...how is that hard to understand? I post facts and logic, and others reply with name calling and sarcasm as well as their own opinions with no sources to make them up and they believe they won the argument because they repeat the same bogus opinions over and over again.

Old 12-26-2012, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
I am offended that you think this is all there is to a black american. I don't know what sort of prison pigeon your black parent was, but many of us are middle class and strive to defy stereotypes.
I grew up in a mostly black neighborhood, and I was accused of "acting white" more times than I can remember simply because I loved reading and history more than I did basketball or hip hop "music".

In America today, "authentically black" means "ghetto". It wasn't always the case, but that is the way it is now. Even today I am called "the whitest black guy" by people because I prefer Bordeaux over Mad Dog 2020 and prefer symphonic metal over gangsta rap. And I'm not the only one saying it:

Amazon.com: He Talk Like a White Boy: Joseph C. Phillips: Books

Old 12-26-2012, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
The black experience is how society as a whole see a person. Not just poor treatment by non blacks. To be honest, you are not the first biracial person to live in a predominantly black area and not all of them feel the way you do. The overwhelming majority of biracial people I know, whether they self identify as biracial or black, seem most comfortable around black people. I have even had a biracial person question my blackness due to the way I speak and some of my interests. I was young and I did not handle the situation well. But I got my point across.
I feel most comfortable around thinking people, regardless of race.

Old 12-26-2012, 11:19 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,532,193 times
But who are YOU to tell that person with 12% European ancestry that they can not claim to be biracial when in fact they have just as much of a right to claim "biracial" as yourself? If the person's racial makeup consists of two different races they are indeed technically "biracial" no matter the percentages.

But let's just be honest here.....you don't want that "dark meat" in your bucket, right? "Biracial" loses its luster and cach if the category is cloudied by too many dark skinned "biracials". No worries victorianpunk...we see you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
For the 10,000th time, if a black man who is 12% European says they are mixed because a distant ancestor they never met is white, that is just as ridicules as Jackie Kennedy saying she's black because she had a distant black ancestor.

Old 12-26-2012, 11:24 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly1224 View Post
I don't think there is any such thing as the "black community." There are certainly pockets of black activists who speak out about various "black" issues, but the idea of a black community is largely fictitious. It's time for people to independently determine how they'd like to live out their lives.

If I have biracial children, I will certainly teach them to identify with all elements of their culture. I'd never want them to believe that they must only check the black box, just because their mom is black.
This is a really great book to read on "black america" today and the myriad of "black" experiences today:
Disintegration: The Splintering of Black America: Eugene Robinson: 9780767929967: Amazon.com: Books

Old 12-26-2012, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymouseX View Post
Don't be foolish...

Have you ever even been to Africa? The bush refers to very specific regions of Africa, specifically in South Africa

The regions included are the Mpumalanga and Limpopo Lowveld, The Limpopo River Valley, northern KwaZulu-Natal or other similar areas of wilderness.

All of which are inhabited by dark skinned persons. Are there whites and light skinned people? Sure but they are recent. The people that have inhabited those region for centuries are dark... Wesley Snipes black.

Bueller...

No, untrue. The Igbo people, who are from Nigeria, tend to be lighter skinned, as are Yoruba people. Here are some 100% African people:

Yoruba^

Igbo^

And both Igbo and Yoruba people were brought to the US as slaves. Hence, we see that a lot of that light skin in Black Americans is the result of west African blood, not white blood. Even Nelson Mandela isn't that dark skinned:

As as there are 100% Europeans in Italy, Spain and Portugal who are darker than Norwegians, there are 100% Africans who are lighter than Akan or Nilotic people.

Old 12-26-2012, 11:27 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
I wish I could agree, but there is a monlith to some extent, especially when you begin to look at political identities that encompass how people identify culturally, economically and socially. Roughly 92% of blacks identify as Democrats; where as 8% identify as Republican or as Independents. Judging from that, I think it's fair to say that many blacks hold the same and/or similar opinions on many of the issues in the political arena.
It isn't really that simple:
1. Lots of black people live in urban areas, and people in urban areas tend to vote democrat
2. There are many many black republicans. Especially in the rural south. My dad and granddad have always identified as republican. My dad has gone to a Republican convention. He voted for Regan and both of the Bushes. He also voted for Clinton and Obama.
3. Many black people who were previously republicans switched to the democrats because of the civil rights movement, despite agreeing with both the social and economic policies of the republican party

Old 12-26-2012, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
But who are YOU to tell that person with 12% European ancestry that they can not claim to be biracial when in fact they have just as much of a right to claim "biracial" as yourself? If the person's racial makeup consists of two different races they are indeed technically "biracial" no matter the percentages.

But let's just be honest here.....you don't want that "dark meat" in your bucket, right? "Biracial" loses its luster and cach if the category is cloudied by too many dark skinned "biracials". No worries victorianpunk...we see you.

So I must hate white people too, because I said that it would be absurd for Jackie Kennedy to be called mixed.

And find me one place where I said anything bad about Africa. I love Africa and African culture. So, in your opinion, not liking hip hop and welfare queens means I "hate black people"...okay.

I am half African, Hausa and Mendinka...but I don't have a drop of N*****r in me. Unlike most black Americans, who don't seem to like Africans or being called African. They are the ones with issues, not me for refusing to eat pig feet or act like a lowland Scotsman from the age of highwaymen (i.e., the origin of modern black culture)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies