Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2012, 08:03 AM

2,523 posts, read 2,202,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryptic View Post
Give me a break.

University of Wisconsin-Madison Accused Of ‘Severe Discrimination’ Against Whites & Asians | Racism Daily

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/09/us...anted=all&_r=0

A couple incidents that represent only the tip of the iceberg. That's to say nothing of quota hiring policies in both the public and private sector.
“Here’s some stuff you gotta know. In Wisconsin 2.5 percent of blacks are in prison. That rate is 8 times higher than it is for whites. Just 65 percent of blacks earn a high school diploma on time in Wisconsin, compared to 95 percent of whites. But for some reason, it outrages the Center for Equal Opportunity that in 2007-2008, blacks made up 2.6 percent of the student body admitted to UW-Madison — while 85.5 percent of those incoming classes were white.”

Old 12-27-2012, 08:05 AM

2,674 posts, read 4,392,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
The "privilege" in being white is that if you check the checkbox for white, you're not going to have any government provided college, or job or any advantage. You're on your own.

And that is actually a good thing. If you're white, it's assumed you don't need help, you don't need a big government coddling you, you don't need affirmative actiion or quotas. Anyone who really thinks the government helps groups of people should talk to an American Indian living on a reservation.
You're getting closer to the truth than you know. It's coming down to economic predjudices these days. Sure you'll still have your oldtimers who miss their own private drinking fountains- but more and more it;s becoming about economic power and privilege. I know we can all rise to be President jazz. But these days college prep starts before pre-k to get your kid into that top lower school, then into that magnet or charter middle then more private prep work at Princeton review. It also dosen't hurt if you're at an elite private school where the counselor 'walks' applications over to your college of choice. Pretty soon it'll be whether or not you're green or green enough.

Last edited by GreyDay; 12-27-2012 at 09:19 AM..

Old 12-27-2012, 08:10 AM

215 posts, read 182,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigantown View Post
“Here’s some stuff you gotta know. In Wisconsin 2.5 percent of blacks are in prison. That rate is 8 times higher than it is for whites. Just 65 percent of blacks earn a high school diploma on time in Wisconsin, compared to 95 percent of whites. But for some reason, it outrages the Center for Equal Opportunity that in 2007-2008, blacks made up 2.6 percent of the student body admitted to UW-Madison — while 85.5 percent of those incoming classes were white.”
They are admitting students into their "institute" that have lower intelligence (grades). Admit based on qualifications, NOT skin color/race/ethnicity nonsense.

The examples I posted above are nothing less than overt racism against American individuals of European ancestry.

Old 12-27-2012, 08:29 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,644,789 times
Quote:
Give me a break.

University of Wisconsin-Madison Accused Of ‘Severe Discrimination’ Against Whites & Asians | Racism Daily

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/09/us...anted=all&_r=0

A couple incidents that represent only the tip of the iceberg. That's to say nothing of quota hiring policies in both the public and private sector.
I was once accused of stealing Bubble Yum from the drugstore. Doesn't mean I did it. And in any event, I didn't go to the University of Wisconsin. I love it how right wingers cite an incident here or there but don't want to consider the overwhelming evidence of institutional discrimination against dark-skinned people throughout American history. The only quotas I know about are those that say white males get the overwhelming majority of opportunities. So now minorities have 1% of the wealth and power and whites have 99% and you're freaking out.

Old 12-27-2012, 08:45 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,527,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Here's a picture of me with one of my grandchildren. Amazing how much like me this little ol' "black girl" looks!

See - not so easy to categorize, is she? She's 1/4 African American.
Beautiful little girl but I can also tell that she has some African ancestry. I know far too many "Black" people (ie with two Black parents) who have a similar complexion to be "amazed".

I never post personal pictures online but I could just as easily post pictures of Black people (2 Black parents and identify as Black) in my family that have the coloring of both you and your granddaughter.

Old 12-27-2012, 08:45 AM

215 posts, read 182,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
I was once accused of stealing Bubble Yum from the drugstore. Doesn't mean I did it. And in any event, I didn't go to the University of Wisconsin. I love it how right wingers cite an incident here or there but don't want to consider the overwhelming evidence of institutional discrimination against dark-skinned people throughout American history. The only quotas I know about are those that say white males get the overwhelming majority of opportunities. So now minorities have 1% of the wealth and power and whites have 99% and you're freaking out.
Nice try trying to divert, obfuscate, avoid and justify your nonsense.

Like I said, those are only a couple incidents. Only someone living with their head in the sand isn't aware of these sort of incidents occurring all over the country.

Old 12-27-2012, 09:05 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,644,789 times
Quote:
Nice try trying to divert, obfuscate, avoid and justify your nonsense.

Like I said, those are only a couple incidents. Only someone living with their head in the sand isn't aware of these sort of incidents occurring all over the country.
Guess my head's in the sand. I just don't see any downtrodden whites who are discriminated against by whites.

Old 12-27-2012, 09:12 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,239,563 times

Peter Gabriel Sledgehammer Shed My Skin Evolution 2010 - YouTube

Old 12-27-2012, 09:17 AM

1,300 posts, read 1,493,000 times
Why/how is it not the same scenario?

~ButterBrownBiscuit~

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
This is not the scenario in question - surely you know that. We're talking about people whose parents (not distant ancestors) are clearly from two very different ethnic and racial heritages.

Old 12-27-2012, 10:28 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyDay View Post
You're getting closer to the truth than you know. It's coming down to economic predjudices these days. Sure you'll still have your oldtimers who miss their own private drinking fountains- but more and more it;s becoming about economic power and privilege. I know we can all rise to be President jazz. But these days college prep starts before pre-k to get your kid into that top lower school, then into that magnet or charter middle then more private prep work at Princeton review. It also dosen't hurt if you're at an elite private school where the counselor 'walks' applications over to your college of choice. Pretty soon it'll be whether or not you're green or green enough.
I'm all for removing the checkbox for race and ethnicity off every government form, every finanical aid application, and job application. Racism starts with the government -- if you notice public schools will insist that a race box be checked -- why?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies