Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 08:50 PM

6,453 posts, read 6,995,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
All I know is probably 95-100% of Half black student applicants will mark "African American" on their school/ scholarship application.

We all know the reason why.
Many of them are also "pressured" to choose an identity by admissions and financial aid counselors. It really is not uncommon for schools with a very small representation of blacks to inflate their own numbers by forcing some of these applicants to choose for the sake of proving how diverse ( i.e. inclusive) they are.

Old 12-23-2012, 09:07 PM

67,652 posts, read 60,572,966 times
My kids are biracial (black father, white mother). Though they definitely look biracial, not one of them considers themselves as "black." They adamantly consider themselves biracial, PERIOD. They do not deny, ignore, or renounce any part of their heritage.

What's going to be really interesting is how their kids identify themselves. So far, I have a "totally white guy," a Hispanic guy, and a Korean girl as my kids' spouses - and my one remaining single child is dating a blonde haired, blue eyed girl.

The ones who have kids have produced such a wide range of looks that it's impossible to categorize them as anything other than, well, "multiracial." And we like it that way. To hell with pigeon holing people!

Old 12-23-2012, 09:57 PM

1,189 posts, read 2,548,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
Many of them are also "pressured" to choose an identity by admissions and financial aid counselors. It really is not uncommon for schools with a very small representation of blacks to inflate their own numbers by forcing some of these applicants to choose for the sake of proving how diverse ( i.e. inclusive) they are.
This is a lie, and you know it.

Old 12-23-2012, 10:15 PM

56,989 posts, read 35,116,741 times
Quote:
Absolutely true. Some will deny it, but there is a form of shaming and/or pressure in the black community for people of mixed and biracial ancestry to tow the line. Their rational for their belief is they to "could be a victim of racism." It's a scare tactic to some extent. Tiger Woods for example caught a lot of flack simply for not identifying himself as "black"...many felt betrayed by that.
......then Fuzzy Zoeller went out there and showed him how it REALLY goes down.

Old 12-23-2012, 10:18 PM

6,453 posts, read 6,995,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
......then Fuzzy Zoeller went out there and showed him how it REALLY goes down.
lol hence my point...many blacks were gleeing at the very idea that Tiger was caught up....even to the point to conjuring up that he was allegedly a victim of "racism" just in an effort to say "see I told ya so...you are black!"

Old 12-23-2012, 10:28 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,514,172 times
Quote:
Absolutely true. Some will deny it, but there is a form of shaming and/or pressure in the black community for people of mixed and biracial ancestry to tow the line. Their rational for their belief is they to "could be a victim of racism." It's a scare tactic to some extent. Tiger Woods for example caught a lot of flack simply for not identifying himself as "black"...many felt betrayed by that.
I'm just curious. Are you or any of the other biracial experts on this thread biracial yourselves?

Old 12-24-2012, 03:17 AM

11,048 posts, read 16,812,223 times
I'm a quarter Asian, and the other 3/4 are Swedish, German, and Irish. I ended up being blonde-haired, blue-eyed, fair-skinned, with sharp, angular facial features. I have small eyes, which are a carryover from the Asian side, as are the shape of my eyebrows... but my eyes aren't "almond shaped" and I don't have epicanthal folds. Because of this, and the fact that I grew up with minimal exposure to my grandma's culture, I've always identified as "white" rather than "mixed." Why would I identify as "mixed?" It'd be disingenious to pretend that I've ever been treated as anything but a white male.

When it comes to someone who's a mix of white and black, it's the same deal. If they look like Barack Obama, people are going to look at them and think to themselves, "that's a black man." He may have grown up around mostly around white people, been raised more by the white parent, gone to majority-white ivy league schools, but whenever anyone looks at him, they're going to default to "black" more than "white" in terms of judging his appearance.

Also, as a few of my black friends have explained to me, in black America people are less likely to describe themselves as being "mixed" or "half-____," because in the black community, you're just "black." You'll hear someone say, "my mom/dad is white, but I'm black," and one of the main reasons for this is because since the beginning, African-Americans have been mixed with white people, Native Americans, and latinos... but, do to regrettable social conventions (Jim Crow), you were automatically defined as "black" and you were subject to all of the discrimination that came along with it. If black people started defining themselves as being "mixed," or "half white" or "quarter Cherokee" or whatever else they were, then they would have created further divisions in their own community over how "black" someone was... and they'd be no better than the people who oppressed them.

All this said, I have a friend and an ex who were black/white, but identify as "white" because of their appearance and/or how they were raised. Most of my other friends who are black/white identify as "black," though I think that there's a greater number of people who are identifying as "mixed" these days.

Old 12-24-2012, 07:18 AM

67,652 posts, read 60,572,966 times
This is my family (though I'm the one taking the photos so I'm not in there, and we're missing my half Korean brother and his multiracial kids). I'd say this makes all of us pretty expert on the biracial thing.

Old 12-24-2012, 07:52 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,285,354 times
Quote:
The reality is that many bi-racial people are simply not accepted by White American culture as "White". Black culture is much more accepting of bi-racial people than White culture is.

Old 12-24-2012, 07:59 AM

56,989 posts, read 35,116,741 times
Quote:
lol hence my point...many blacks were gleeing at the very idea that Tiger was caught up....even to the point to conjuring up that he was allegedly a victim of "racism" just in an effort to say "see I told ya so...you are black!"
No truth to that. Flat out lie....moreover, no one said anything about him being a victim. If blacks as a community insinuated this, post the links. Gimme about 5 different black sports columnists framing him as a "victim" in the Zoeller incident. Hell, you won't find even one.

Wood's pronouncement that he's not "only African American" came after the Zoeller incident for one....so at the time, he was still being universally thought of as black at the time. So there would've been no reason for blacks to be happy over the incident.

See...you got caught. Not that I didn't already know, but I just wanted you to see how easy it is to spot. You don't like blacks (shoulder shrug), so now you're projecting and making up a bunch of bullsh*t that's not true in order to make your weak ass point.

But whatever....carry on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.