Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2012, 09:27 PM

4,684 posts, read 4,572,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
And again, Skyler and Skylar, are not associated with "trailer trash" here. If anything they are very old names that have become common again as yuppie-ish names, like Madison and Chandler.
But only if spelled properly: Schuyler. And preferably only if you have one of the Hudson Valley Schuylers in the family tree somewhere.

Old 12-27-2012, 09:27 PM

734 posts, read 932,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post

And guess what? Racism and culturalism are two different things. The reason so many people have issue with black Americans is often not their race, but their culture. That is why Nigerian Americans do so much better than black Americans.
Data show Nigerians the most educated in the U.S. - Houston Chronicle

Nigerians have an entire country of their own, yet most of the people are living in squalor. If Nigerians are so much better, why haven't they developed a 1st world nation? Nigeria is one of the most corrupt nation in Africa.

Old 12-27-2012, 09:29 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,520,187 times
Quote:
Yes and many dark skinned black Americans hate being mistaken for African immigrants, so what?
who mistakes aa for Africans? in America? this never happens. almost certain it happens the other way around, Africans mistaken for aa. some are not to keen on being mistaken for black Americans. i will give them this much, many of them come from cultures that are very different from aa. same with Afro Latinos. in this country, whites and blacks are the two distinct groups who have the most in common culturally.

Old 12-27-2012, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
okay, but shouldn't they be classified with people they most identify with? all they have in common with me is skin color. they were raised by not one, but two white parents. blah, blah, blah. well, you get the point. i hope.
Actually I don't get the point. Their ethnicity would be black (if they have two black parents), and their nationality would be American (if they were born in this nation).

Old 12-27-2012, 09:35 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,483,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
My sister and I have "asian" looking eyes. My parents both have "round eyes." And all of my grandparents. And my parents siblings. We used to joke about having asian ancestry. But nope, we found the relative with the same eyes...a great great grandfather.

In my own family, about 1/5 of people on my dad's side have almond eyes like mine. Everyone else has big round eyes.

What is round eyes?

Old 12-27-2012, 09:36 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,977,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly1224 View Post
Nigerians have an entire country of their own, yet most of the people are living in squalor. If Nigerians are so much better, why haven't they developed a 1st world nation? Nigeria is one of the most corrupt nation in Africa.

And yet the moment they get out of Nigeria they get their money together and buy a book on engineering. Black Americans are more likely to get their money together and buy a pack of Newports.

You can't argue facts. Nigerian Americans are significantly more educated than black Americans. So, if black Americans are only less educated because of racism, why are Nigerian Americans doing so well? They are 100% black and yet they are better educated than black Americans who were born here. Why isn't racism "holding them back" too?

Answer: Yes, racism does exist, but it is not nearly as bad as some would have you believe. I lived in the ghetto and I didn't see racism holding anyone back: I saw people holding themselves back.

Trust me...you have not seen pathetic until you've seen a man with a bottle of booze in one hand, cigaret in another, crack in his front pocket and four kids by four women going on about how "the white man ruined him."

Old 12-27-2012, 09:38 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,977,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
who mistakes aa for Africans? in America? this never happens.
Yes it does. I knew a kid who was mistaken for Akan all the time because he was dark and had that round head thing going on. It happens a lot...and I have yet to see a black American take it well.

Old 12-27-2012, 09:39 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,520,187 times
Quote:
And you do not have the right to one drop us into being black. They can call themselves anything they want, but I think it is rather silly for someone with blonde hair, blue eyes and rosy cheeks to insist they are "mulatto" as I also think it is rather silly for someone blueblack skin to insist they are "mulatto."
but both people can be "mulatto". you can look either way and actually have a white parent and black parent. no one says "mulatto" anymore, do they?

Old 12-27-2012, 09:42 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,730,892 times
Quote:
And yet the moment they get out of Nigeria they get their money together and buy a book on engineering. Black Americans are more likely to get their money together and buy a pack of Newports.

You can't argue facts. Nigerian Americans are significantly more educated than black Americans. So, if black Americans are only less educated because of racism, why are Nigerian Americans doing so well? They are 100% black and yet they are better educated than black Americans who were born here. Why isn't racism "holding them back" too?

Answer: Yes, racism does exist, but it is not nearly as bad as some would have you believe. I lived in the ghetto and I didn't see racism holding anyone back: I saw people holding themselves back.

Trust me...you have not seen pathetic until you've seen a man with a bottle of booze in one hand, cigaret in another, crack in his front pocket and four kids by four women going on about how "the white man ruined him."
Omg. That is just another example of emigrant effect. The best and brightest are the ones most likely to leave poorer less developed countries.

Old 12-27-2012, 09:43 PM

Quote:
What I am saying is that so many of these "black names" aren't black but just absurd. Nobody in Africa names their kid "Ropesia" or "Shay'West" (both people I actually knew) Most of the Africans I've met either have English or French names, like Pierre, George or Jill, or have Arabic origin "Muslim names", like Mohammad, Aisha or Omar.

At what point did black American folks go crazy with the names anyway?
I ventured to West Africa. I can honestly state that there were many high points, but in all honesty, Africans should be further along in terms of developing a sanitation system that meets the needs of the community residing in a particular area, and sound infrastructure should be common-place.

I can't for the life of me understand how Africans can criticize black Americans. Again, Africans have an entire continent with an abundance of natural resources. Why are so many women and children slaughtered and why is famine a regular occurrence (and please do not blame all of the issues on imperialism or colonization).

The reality is, many Africans and many black Americans work against their own interest. There are extreme self hate issues which inhibit both groups from working together and advancing. This explains why the Chinese are currently throughout Africa robbing the country blind. A people divided can not prosper.

Last edited by Lilly1224; 12-27-2012 at 10:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies