Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2012, 10:07 PM

734 posts, read 932,407 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyDay View Post
We know how the Boys in the Hood have treated you- But how have middle or upper-middle class blacks treated you? How have the doctors, lawyers, businessmen/women that make up the likes of the Links, Jack and Jill and the Divine 9 treated you? These are the educated class, the well-spoken, suburban living blacks. How have they treated you?
His issues stem from living around impoverished (ignorant) folks. He really needs to get a better job, so that he can make inroads into a desirable community.

Every day poor folks like Victorian do not have access to the likes of Jack and Jill and the links. Membership into such organizations are by invitation only. One must have a professional/upper income parent who was a member, or a close relative who knows someone that's part of the organization and even then, there's no guarantee of admission.

Old 12-27-2012, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Yes there is. Not really Northern California though. There isn't a long history of a visible black middle or upper middle class community. Most live in predominately white areas (which creates a different set of identity issues for the kids).
Yes, I agree, but Southern California has a black elite class.

Old 12-27-2012, 10:15 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,518,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly1224 View Post
Actually I don't get the point. Their ethnicity would be black (if they have two black parents), and their nationality would be American (if they were born in this nation).
you said, "Your dad's situation is different, since he was raised as a black man, by black parents. The same however is not true for a mixed individual who is raised as biracial and then told by society that they should identify solely as black, simply because they may have tan or brown skin."

is an adopted black child raised by two white parents raised as white? how is one raised a race or even biracial? also, black is not an ethnic group. that's like saying white is an ethnic group. Jews are part of an ethnic group. black and white is a social designation based on race. race, of course being a social construct based on regional characteristics. etc.

Old 12-27-2012, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
you said, "Your dad's situation is different, since he was raised as a black man, by black parents. The same however is not true for a mixed individual who is raised as biracial and then told by society that they should identify solely as black, simply because they may have tan or brown skin."

is an adopted black child raised by two white parents raised as white? how is one raised a race or even biracial? also, black is not an ethnic group. that's like saying white is an ethnic group. Jews are part of an ethnic group. black and white is a social designation based on race. race, of course being a social construct based on regional characteristics. etc.

An adopted black child will always be black (racially). Their culture will be determined by how they are socialized...

Old 12-27-2012, 10:25 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,669,325 times
Wabisha nini?
Hawanioni?
Tofauti nini?
Wengi wachache, wachache ni sisi.

Seriously, just get along. Black is black. Mixed is mixed. White is white.
I'm mixed. My kin is black. My kin is white. My tribe? Don't want to be tracked down..
My age group? Circa 2000. My personality? My politics? My nationality?
My hometown? My allegiance?

Time is ticking away. You're all going to die. In the meantime, you're pre occupying yourselves with things that don't matter.
Who cares who you are? It's what you do that counts.

So that, when we all get to where we're going, we can say, though we didn't know much, we did much.
And that's all it is. Do much. Be little.

Mchache ni wewe.

lol

Old 12-27-2012, 10:27 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,714,883 times
Quote:
Actually I don't get the point. Their ethnicity would be black (if they have two black parents), and their nationality would be American (if they were born in this nation).
Well no their race would be black but apparently it needs to be said again:

RACE IS NOT ETHNICITY

28,226 posts, read 36,845,611 times
Quote:
Yes, I agree, but Southern California has a black elite class.
Yup and lots of upper class black neighborhoods too. This is one way socal and norcal are very very different.

I wouldn't be shocked to find significant differences in how the black populations formed in SoCal and NorCal.

This isn't to say, that things like Jack and Jill didn't exist, but they were populated with transplants. Like alums from the HBCUs. (My parents weren't into it (ok my whole family), so I don't really know how it worked. My mom said "no! when recruited.) The non-african middle class blacks from the Bay I know grew up like I did in white suburbia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymouseX View Post
1) Don't have a record...

2) Shaneyney is not a "black name." Its made up nonsense...

3) Get a better education...
that's the point. if you are black and don't have a record, you still are less likely to get an interview than a white felon. hello! also. "black names" is in quotes. these include names that are anglo, but common among blacks and real names from other cultures like middle eastern names that have been adopted by black americans.

24,645 posts, read 38,629,231 times
Quote:
His issues stem from living around impoverished (ignorant) folks. He really needs to get a better job, so that he can make inroads into a desirable community.

Every day poor folks like Victorian do not have access to the likes of Jack and Jill and the linksMembership into such organizations are by invitation only. One must have a professional/upper income parent who was a member, or a close relative who knows someone that's part of the organization and even then, there's no guarantee of admission.
Probably because they're too black and can't pass the paper bag test. "But I'm half Sicilian! " they wail in futile protest.......

Old 12-27-2012, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Have you ever ventured to Nigeria? The million dollar question is, why must "smart" Nigerians venture to Europe or the U.S. to study? Why are they incapable of developing their own stellar academic institutions?

Nigerian Americans flee their nation because they know that their government is vastly corrupt. I strongly urge all black Americans to visit various nations throughout Africa. One will quickly learn the truth. Again, they have an entire nation and yet they are still unable to develop it. Anyone who has any means or professional standing quickly leaves for Europe or the U.S. How then are these people in any situation to criticize black Americans, when they can't even develop their own nation?

If you don't see the irony, then well I don't really know what else to tell you...
amen! same for india. i am black but i enjoy "exotic" cultures. i was so disappointed when i found out how dirty and unsanitary india is from friends, and my husband, who have been there. like unbearably nasty. anyways, you wouldn't know that observing the indians who live in the us. they have the fastest growing median income in the us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.