Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2012, 10:41 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
amen! same for india. i am black but i enjoy "exotic" cultures. i was so disappointed when i found out how dirty and unsanitary india is from friends, and my husband, who have been there. like unbearably nasty. anyways, you wouldn't know that observing the indians who live in the us. they have the fastest growing median income in the us.
And after a few decades of hanging out in the US, they are coming here for college and heading back home to india. (Even the ones born here)

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/16/us...wanted=1&_r=2&

And the Chinese people are doing the same.

Give it some time and the Nigerians will follow the same pattern, as things evolve in Nigeria.

Old 12-27-2012, 10:43 PM

2,256 posts, read 2,130,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
that's the point. if you are black and don't have a record, you still are less likely to get an interview than a white felon. hello! also. "black names" is in quotes. these include names that are anglo, but common among blacks and real names from other cultures like middle eastern names that have been adopted by black americans.
Shrug...

I've never been not offered a job I've applied for. Why? Because I can identify with the interviewer. I can talk to them. I'm professional. I can blend with the corporate image. I can disarm people and be friendly. I'm educated and smart. On and on and on...

That upper and middle class black demographic doesn't have this problem...

Old 12-27-2012, 10:43 PM

734 posts, read 932,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Probably because they're too black and can't pass the paper bag test. "But I'm half Sicilian! " they wail in futile protest.......
Truthfully, I really don't see what his issue is. I am all for him identifying as mixed, because that's what he'd like to be called and that's what he is.

I do however believe that his anger is misdirected. Perhaps he was abandoned by his father, and feels a great deal of resentment towards blacks for his father's actions.

Old 12-27-2012, 10:46 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,532,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly1224 View Post
Truthfully, I really don't see what his issue is. I am all for him identifying as mixed, because that's what he'd like to be called and that's what he is.

I do however believe that his anger is misdirected. Perhaps he was abandoned by his father, and feels a great deal of resentment towards blacks for his father's actions.
Bingo.

Old 12-27-2012, 10:47 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,520,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymouseX View Post
Shrug...

I've never been not offered a job I've applied for. Why? Because I can identify with the interviewer. I can talk to them. I'm professional. I can blend with the corporate image. I can disarm people and be friendly. I'm educated and smart. On and on and on...

you can't identify with the interviewer if you don't get an interview. regardless of class, if your name sounds "black" you're getting less callbacks.

Old 12-27-2012, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Shrug...

You are more likely to have an "in" or a network to help you get the job.

The studies have focused on actually getting the interview. The thing is, many people are rejected before they even get a chance to meet the interviewer.

Here is an anecdote about this phenomenon. http://www.techyville.com/2012/11/ne...nly-skyrocket/

Old 12-27-2012, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
And after a few decades of hanging out in the US, they are coming here for college and heading back home to india. (Even the ones born here)

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/16/us...wanted=1&_r=2&

And the Chinese people are doing the same.

Give it some time and the Nigerians will follow the same pattern, as things evolve in Nigeria.
They are leaving, not to develop their own nations, but because they are unable to find their golden ticket in the states. If they were able to secure high paying jobs here, they would gladly stay.

India and China have a strong middle class developing; therefore, there's opportunity to make money pursuing entrepreneurship. The same is not true for Nigeria (at this time).

Old 12-27-2012, 10:52 PM

2,256 posts, read 2,130,563 times
Quote:
They are leaving, not to develop their own nations, but because they are unable to find their golden ticket in the states. If they were able to secure high paying jobs here, they would gladly stay.

India and China have a strong middle class developing; therefore, there's opportunity to make money pursuing entrepreneurship. The same is not true for Nigeria (at this time).
My friend fr India was schooled here. He has his M.Eng in Electrical Engineering. He makes hella good money. His plan is to stay here for 5 years until his wife finishes her masters and the go back to India.

They'll go home if they can find or make an opportunity.

Old 12-27-2012, 10:53 PM

Quote:

Yes, I think that India and China are around 30 years ahead of Nigeria in this regard. But in 20-30 years, I think this similar pattern will develop.

Old 12-27-2012, 10:55 PM

Quote:
My friend fr India was schooled here. He has his M.Eng in Electrical Engineering. He makes hella good money. His plan is to stay here for 5 years until his wife finishes her masters and the go back to India.

They'll go home if they can find or make an opportunity.
I'm sure they will make certain that their children are born in the U.S. (thus securing citizenship in this country for their children) before heading back "home" to India.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies