Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 08:33 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,900,300 times

Advertisements

I don't know. Where I am only a very few murders have ever taken place and these started in the mid 80's when NH was just getting to be a 50/50 split of locals to people from away.

With out people from away we had very little crime. We still have very little crime, but lots more than we used to have.

I can think of 2 sets of rape double murders in the White Mtn National Forest in the 80's where i first began to carry because of it when hiking.

Then not so many years age a armed robbery where the store manager and the customer were murdered. Last a drug deal gone bad.. And a woman involved was killed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2012, 08:35 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,628,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
We had the Luby's massacre in Killeen, Texas (not small) and the church killings here in Fort Worth (too dang big).
Not to forget Charles Whitman at U of Austin. Probably the so-called 'sniper' mass murder that started it all.

Then there was Michael Soles who shot at and killed people from the top floor of the Holiday Inn at Wichita.

And Patrick Sherrill, whose mass murder coined the expression 'going postal'. Granted, that one was at somewhat small town Edmond OK, which is actually so much a part of OKC one can't tell when one is leaving one and entering the other. Back then, there was a field separating the two towns.

Old 12-23-2012, 08:41 AM

1,684 posts, read 1,182,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
I don't know. Where I am only a very few murders have ever taken place and these started in the mid 80's when NH was just getting to be a 50/50 split of locals to people from away.

With out people from away we had very little crime. We still have very little crime, but lots more than we used to have.

I can think of 2 sets of rape double murders in the White Mtn National Forest in the 80's where i first began to carry because of it when hiking.

Then not so many years age a armed robbery where the store manager and the customer were murdered. Last a drug deal gone bad.. And a woman involved was killed.
That's where I am at too. The next city over, which is 10 miles away and where I work is 52,000 people. They have some of the worst crime in the State. They hold a unsolved murder record for the Country too.

Only a fool believes the hoods can't/won't drive 10 - 15 miles away........

Old 12-23-2012, 09:13 AM

4,019 posts, read 3,937,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You've obviously never been to Aurora.
isn't that where a mass shooting inside a movie theater took place a few months ago? I never been there but from what I heard about it on the news related to the shooting Aurora is a Denver suburb. the place looks like your standard issue suburb filled with cookie cutter strip malls, chain stores and subdivisions. I think I might go nuts living in a place like that.

Old 12-23-2012, 09:18 AM

3,168 posts, read 2,056,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I can't recall a mass shooting in the U.S. occuring in a big city. What is it about small towns that lend themselves to this behavior?
Newton is a suburb of NYC, and part of the largest metropolitan area in the USA.

A lot of the other shootings occurred in white suburbs of major cities.

Old 12-23-2012, 09:19 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,376,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
isn't that where a mass shooting inside a movie theater took place a few months ago? I never been there but from what I heard about it on the news related to the shooting Aurora is a Denver suburb. the place looks like your standard issue suburb filled with cookie cutter strip malls, chain stores and subdivisions. I think I might go nuts living in a place like that.
Uh, yes. My daughter lived basically across the street from the shooter. You have it pegged wrong. 300,000 people do not a quiet little suburb make.

Old 12-23-2012, 09:20 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,265,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Victor View Post
LOL Some of you don't know what a small town or County is.

Try 1,500 people...............TOTAL
It's all relative, when you live in a city of 6 million people, 30,000 is small.

There are high schools in Chicago that have 1,500 students.

Old 12-23-2012, 09:24 AM

39,002 posts, read 51,001,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieApocExtraordinaire View Post
Newton is a suburb of NYC, and part of the largest metropolitan area in the USA.

A lot of the other shootings occurred in white suburbs of major cities.
So the better question is why do white males do all the mass shootings (and serial child molesting)? What do they have to angry about with the deck stacked in their favor relative to women and minorities?

Old 12-23-2012, 09:29 AM

3,168 posts, read 2,056,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
So the better question is why do white males do all the mass shootings (and serial child molesting)? What do they have to angry about with the deck stacked in their favor relative to women and minorities?
When I lived in Detroit, I knew many black serial child molesters as neighbors. Their rap sheets included such lovely notations like "rape of a child under 12 involving a firearm" etc. They would have multiple convictions. The only reason I knew was due to those child sex offender registries.

I don't know why the mass school shootings are white dominated. There are plenty of shootings in inner city schools but there tends to be just 1 or 2 victims. Virginia Tech was done by an asian though.

Old 12-23-2012, 10:02 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,376,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Well that's very propagandistic of you.

Why don't you go to Mother Jones and look up their Mass Shootings list and then come back and try and make that claim again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies