Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2012, 10:39 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,919,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DentalFloss View Post
What regulations do you propose?
I was making a statement that the Fed Govt can regulate "arms". Do you disagree? I didn't propose any regulations, only stated that, obviously referencing machine guns, the Fed Govt has the power to regulate guns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2012, 10:48 PM

2,677 posts, read 2,615,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
I was making a statement that the Fed Govt can regulate "arms". Do you disagree? I didn't propose any regulations, only stated that, obviously referencing machine guns, the Fed Govt has the power to regulate guns.
Yes, but you made no proposals. What regulations do you suppose would make a difference?

Old 12-25-2012, 11:43 PM

24 posts, read 38,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DentalFloss View Post
Here's the deal folks.

Assault weapons aren't even a blip on the radar when it comes to the overall murder rate in the country.

In 2010, 12,996 people were murdered one way or another in the US.

If you count suicides and accidental deaths with firearms then it's more like 30,000.

By contrast in the same period Japan had 11 deaths related to firearms.

Old 12-25-2012, 11:59 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,479,590 times
^^^ So, what you're saying is that completely banning firearms STILL doesn't prevent shootings!

I believe japan ALSO has much stricter dealings with criminals and since our high crime rate has mostly to do with our lack of willingness to keep recurring criminals away from society....It seems that your "concern" is misplaced.

Deal with the cause...not the TOOL!

Since there are over 1 MILLION reports of defensive gun uses each year by law abiding citizens, what you propose by taking them away is GROWING the crime rate tremendously!

But, since the the goal of taking the Second Amendment away is the GOAL...it really doesn't matter what the REAL outcome would be, would it?

Old 12-26-2012, 12:08 AM

2,256 posts, read 2,129,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromMelbourne View Post
If you count suicides and accidental deaths with firearms then it's more like 30,000.

By contrast in the same period Japan had 11 deaths related to firearms.
Misleading nonsense

In the same period they had 1047 murders so umm... That means banning guns doesn't stop murders.

The other fact you left out is the aging population and the fact that there culture us much different than ours.

Let's not even speak about the rape pro lem...

Last edited by AnonymouseX; 12-26-2012 at 12:40 AM..

Old 12-26-2012, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post
^^^ So, what you're saying is that completely banning firearms STILL doesn't prevent shootings!
Just LOL.

Old 12-26-2012, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymouseX View Post

I love how all of you keep up with this impotent whining.

It's really quite entertaining. Really.

Especially since I'm wearing a handgun right now.
You mean like this

Old 12-26-2012, 03:09 AM

1,429 posts, read 2,444,585 times
This thread has gone off topic.

Rather than addressing the utterly ridiculous assertions in the OP (Made by *conservative talk radio hosts* (who btw, I regularly listen to since I generally identify as a conservative) , distractions have brought us to more "comfortable" areas for pro-gun people - and away from the topic.

I'd still love to hear a rational argument for how school security guards will be funded, how many will be needed - it seems people are comfortable with just saying "yeah, we need that" - but when the *how* and reality comes into play - silence.

Last edited by TheEarthBeneathMe; 12-26-2012 at 03:18 AM..

Old 12-26-2012, 04:29 AM

11,770 posts, read 5,781,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
OH, I knew it was the women's fault!!!!! Because they just don't get the men and the macho thing !!!!!
I mean, a lot of them think there might eventually- someday- be peace on our planet- the poor deluded suckers!!!!

Sorry, I'm a woman and I agree with him Holly. Woman should have equal rights and pay - unfortunately with the liberation of woman - more went to work to assert this right - seeing now there were a lot of working couples - companies raised prices to the point that a wife had to go to work to help pay the bills. The losers are the children - left alone for hours, parents too tired at the end of the day to give them time or buying them everything to assuage the parent's own guilt - putting alot of the parenting on the teachers - who don't want to parent and shouldn't. You now have children, who have not been raised to respect. Many feeled entitled, due to mommy and daddy buying them whatever they want. Many bully - as they want someone else to feel worse than they themselves feel ect.. The games are so much more violent than our Road Runner cartoons - but then we ere taught what was reality and what was fiction - to these kids left alone - these games become their reality.

My husband owns guns - I've shot one once - not my thing - I don't think they ever should have taken the ban off automatic weapons - but enacting tougher gun laws ( we're in NY with some of the toughist ) is not going to stop criminals or deranged people from getting their hands on them.

I don't know if I'm for or against guns in schools at this point - I know my son had a knife pulled on him at school with many security guards and nothing was done. The principal refused to search this kids backpack as it was his personal item. There are as many nuts inside the school as out - and they just coddle the kids these days.

For those against the idea tho - what are your suggestions for making the schools safer without armed guards? So much criticism but no alternative constructive ideas on here.

Old 12-26-2012, 05:17 AM

890 posts, read 2,278,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post
The only way to get people convinced that there is a Higher Power (God) to whom all people will answer for their actions is to PUT RELIGION BACK INTO OUR CULTURE. We have taken God out of everything and then we wonder why this country is going to hell. These assassins believe that they are the highest authority effective in their own lives... they "own" other people's lives by taking them, and then they "own" their own lives by committing suicide in the end. Let's take a look back 100 years or so, when Christianity (in its various forms) was practically the law of the land due to how closely the American public adhered to its tenets, and see how many random mass murders were committed.
It is not due to the lack of religious teachings in our culture that you are seeing these societal changes, but rather the lack of certain things that often accompanied religious upbringing. Raising children with a strict moral framework and a strong network of familial and community support has been abandoned. I am absolutely NOT advocating we return religion to our modern culture (I am agnostic and view it as a complete fallacy) but I certainly see that in the absence of traditional religion, we have not addressed certain needs in raising children in this country. They are constantly coddled, allowed to spend ten hours absorbed in video games and television at the expense of their social skills and education, their needs not met fully or in part due to a dual income family with no time/high divorce rates/inadequate support from school/parents/community networks, their mental health not prioritized and warning signs ignored/downplayed, not taught the value of moral integrity, allowed to act selfishly with no consequences...I could go on and on. So yeah, I'd say this country needs to address these things (unfortunately I don't see it ever getting better) but forcing religion back into the country is definitely not the answer.

Oh, and I am so sick of this "assault weapons" fear mongering. There is no functional difference between an assault weapon and a non-assault weapon, but I hear it in the media all the time trying to get a rise out of people. Perhaps we can just use Justice Stewart's reasoning of "I know it when I see it." That certainly isn't subjective at all Now there are people running around claiming these shooters are using automatic weapons that can shoot 400 rounds a minute because there is so little education on the topic If only these people tried to actually purchase a fully automatic weapon they would understand how stupid they sound and how hard they are to buy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
At that, I've posted in years past of this forum how my having ready access to a firearm stopped a felony assault (which could have lead to far more serious consequences, one was where a crazy person was attempting to rape two women in a remote campsite locale), ending the situation. I didn't set out to be a hero, circumstances found me and I was able to be of assistance.
Good man. I think so often people get caught up in the extremes of debates, and forget that all gun advocates are not backwoods crazies with "arsenals" of weapons. They are normal people like your neighbor, your coworker, or the person ahead of you in line buying milk. They don't leave home everyday with their handgun expecting to be involved in a "James Bond shootout" or be the hero of the month. However, it would really suck to be involved in a situation where even the threat of a gun (not even its use) could diffuse potential harm or death for themselves or others, but to not have one available at the time. For as often as guns are used in shootouts or mass murders, there are many more instances where they are used in self-defense, we just happen to hear about the former more often since the media sensationalizes them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies