Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2012, 07:43 AM

4,300 posts, read 4,407,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
defend yourselves agains who exactly? Surely that is what the Army/Navy/Air Force is for?
Our own government. This was very much a concern of the framers of our constitution.

Old 12-28-2012, 07:46 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,019,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
Our own government. This was very much a concern of the framers of our constitution.
WOW! I am shocked!

Old 12-28-2012, 07:48 AM

2,618 posts, read 3,147,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salsa10 View Post
I moved here to the US last year. People here in general are paranoid, I met some who own more than 5 guns! Statistics show that most of the crimes here was by legal weapons. in my opinion I'm against civilian carrying or owning weapons, anyone can get psychologically screwed and go crazy here!
Where did you grow up? What made you want to move here if we are so paranoid? I own more than 5 guns too. I'm not a crazy lunatic or anything like that. Normal average guy with a family. I even carry 1 of my guns with me at all times. I don't bother a soul with it but it is there if I ever need it. I have been a crime victim so don't start about how unlikely I am to be a crime victim.

Old 12-28-2012, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmellc View Post
Where did you grow up? What made you want to move here if we are so paranoid? I own more than 5 guns too. I'm not a crazy lunatic or anything like that. Normal average guy with a family. I even carry 1 of my guns with me at all times. I don't bother a soul with it but it is there if I ever need it. I have been a crime victim so don't start about how unlikely I am to be a crime victim.
I think that there lies the problem, and perhaps one of the reasons why gun crime in the US is so astronomically high?

Old 12-28-2012, 07:53 AM

Quote:
WOW! I am shocked!
It is very unusual. It is unique amongst most other constitutions, but this mindset has been firmly entrenched in the American psyche. It manifests itself in our independence, individuality, and our politics. It has it's good points, but also it's negatives (again, our politics). History has shown us that governments go bad (given time) and our forefather's wanted to make sure the American people had the opportunity to at least try to take things back to what we originally fought for. It has it's problems, but - in the end, I like it best.

Old 12-28-2012, 07:55 AM

Quote:
It is very unusual. It is unique amongst most other constitutions, but this mindset has been firmly entrenched in the American psyche. It manifests itself in our independence, individuality, and our politics. It has it's good points, but also it's negatives (again, our politics). History has shown us that governments go bad (given time) and our forefather's wanted to make sure the American people had the opportunity to at least try to take things back to what we originally fought for. It has it's problems, but - in the end, I like it best.
I think that you have summed up the different way of thinking either side of the pond right there :-).

Old 12-28-2012, 08:00 AM

Quote:
I think that you have summed up the different way of thinking either side of the pond right there :-).
:^D I think so! But, it really isn't a dangerous place as the media would portray us. They only like to report the bad and if all you hear is bad, it paints a very bad picture. There are plenty of places in the USA where people still leave their homes and cars unlocked and people are perfectly safe. I own 4 guns myself, but I keep them in a safe and with trigger locks so that they can't be stolen or used. There are things we need to do to tighten up and strengthen our gun laws here but there isn't any amount of agreement on exactly what should be done.

Old 12-28-2012, 08:25 AM

Quote:
:^D I think so! But, it really isn't a dangerous place as the media would portray us. They only like to report the bad and if all you hear is bad, it paints a very bad picture. There are plenty of places in the USA where people still leave their homes and cars unlocked and people are perfectly safe. I own 4 guns myself, but I keep them in a safe and with trigger locks so that they can't be stolen or used. There are things we need to do to tighten up and strengthen our gun laws here but there isn't any amount of agreement on exactly what should be done.
I realise that doing anything is going to be easier said than done, but everytime I think about those little innocent kids it makes me think that something has to be at least tried to be done.

Old 12-28-2012, 08:26 AM

Just re-read my post, excuse my poor English!!!

Old 12-28-2012, 08:33 AM

Quote:
I realise that doing anything is going to be easier said than done, but everytime I think about those little innocent kids it makes me think that something has to be at least tried to be done.
Something definitely needs to be done. Mental health in this country for one. I would like to see mandatory safe/gun locks on all weapons (to prohibit stealing, but if they do manage to - they can't use them) and close all the loopholes in firearm transactions. A background and health check for every transaction with no exceptions. If you have a person with mental health issue, then no firearm in that household. Many will disagree on this and it would have to be fine tuned, but too many people are getting firearms that are stolen or bought without proper background checks. These precautions alone would have stopped all the recent shootings (in all likelihood, as no one could be 100% sure).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies