Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2012, 08:10 AM

3,382 posts, read 8,649,357 times

Advertisements

David Gregory Under Police Investigation Over Gun Magazine On 'Meet The Press'

This will be kind of funny, if NBC gets their legal department do defend David Gregory and find that the law is unconstitutional based on the 2nd amendment.

Either way they proved, even if there is a law and people know about the law(contact the police and are told they cannot do it), they will choose to violate it for their own gain.

[MOD CUT/hotlinking]

Last edited by Ibginnie; 12-27-2012 at 08:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2012, 08:21 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,121,445 times
I'm glad you brought this up. I believe this is where the 1st Amendment and 2nd Amendment intersect. I also believe that David Gregory intentionally used the high-capacity magazine in order to prod the DC Metro police into action in hopes that criminal charges would lead to a Supreme Court battle over gun rights in the District of Columbia, as well as freedom of speech in the media.

I believe this is an awesome development, and if Mr. Gregory had the foresight to push the limits in order to provoke a court battle, then he should be commended.

Old 12-27-2012, 08:24 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,049,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I'm glad you brought this up. I believe this is where the 1st Amendment and 2nd Amendment intersect. I also believe that David Gregory intentionally used the high-capacity magazine in order to prod the DC Metro police into action in hopes that criminal charges would lead to a Supreme Court battle over gun rights in the District of Columbia, as well as freedom of speech in the media.

I believe this is an awesome development, and if Mr. Gregory had the foresight to push the limits in order to provoke a court battle, then he should be commended.
He's not that astute.

He never even realized that he was breaking the law.

Stupid laws make for stupid prosecutions.

Old 12-27-2012, 08:38 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Quote:

I would speculate that Mr Gregory broke the law because he would of either had to drop the prop altogether or use substitute which of course he would had to note was not the real thing if he had any journalistic integrity. Noting it was against the law to have the real thing certainly would have put a damper on his little stunt and certainly would have opened him up his position to criticism because of the very high gun violence in DC despite the law.

FYI even if it was an inoperable legal magazine he's still screwed because now his credibility as a journalist is in the toilet.

Old 12-27-2012, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
He never even realized that he was breaking the law.
Assuming it's real he had to of known and if he didn't then someone on his staff did. They called DC police about it and were told they couldn't use it because it was illegal to possess in DC.

Old 12-27-2012, 08:43 AM

4,866 posts, read 5,678,035 times
Just goes to show no law keeps people from doing anything.

Old 12-27-2012, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
Just goes to show no law keeps people from doing anything.
Exactly, not that it would make a difference but you can't even claim ignorance.

Old 12-27-2012, 08:46 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,121,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I would speculate that Mr Gregory broke the law because he would of either had to drop the prop altogether or use substitute which of course he would had to note was not the real thing if he had any journalistic integrity. Noting it was against the law to have the real thing certainly would have put a damper on his little stunt and certainly would have opened him up his position to criticism because of the very high gun violence in DC despite the law.

FYI even if it was an inoperable legal magazine he's still screwed because now his credibility as a journalist is in the toilet.
I'm not sure I follow. While I don't necessarily agree with his position on banning high-capacity magazines, I can see the benefit of having this debate in the court system. From my perspective, I see this as an opportunity for DC's constitutionally-questionable gun laws to be brought before the court once again, except this time it's not because of a particular gun-owner who was wrongfully charged for owning a gun, but because a media organization could reasonably argue that its 1st Amendment rights were violated. If using the magazine as a prop is a violation of 1st Amendment rights, then it would appear that such gun laws would have to be struck down or severely watered down. Whether NBC would prevail or not is another question, but it seems to me that it's a conversation that should take place.

Old 12-27-2012, 08:46 AM

Quote:
as well as freedom of speech in the media.
Who's the press? If I have a website "The Coal Man Times" and make myself reporter am I the press and now above the law?

Old 12-27-2012, 08:51 AM

Quote:
but because a media organization could reasonably argue that its 1st Amendment rights were violated.
Perhaps because of the Second Amendment but I don't see how Gregory is entitled to break the law. I know the press is given certain accommodations but possessing a magazine from a weapon that has been determined to be illegal is going beyond that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies