U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2012, 04:50 PM

14,098 posts, read 9,836,510 times

Advertisements

He killed his 92 year old grandmother by beating her with a hammer 30 years ago. When are we going to learn that someone who does something like that is never going to be "fixed"?

Gunman Shoots 4 Firefighters, Kills 2, in 'Trap' at Webster, NY, Blaze - ABC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2012, 08:26 AM

29,706 posts, read 12,421,393 times
He should not of had any type of gun, especially a Bushmaster AR-15, it will be interesting to see how he got his hands on these guns.

Quote:
But his intent was unmistakable when he left his flaming home carrying a pump-action shotgun, a .38-caliber revolver and a .223-caliber semiautomatic Bushmaster rifle with flash suppression, the same make and caliber weapon used in the elementary school massacre in Newtown, Conn., that killed 26.
[LEFT]
Read more here: WEBSTER, N.Y.: NY firemen's killer mapped out plan for slayings - Nation Wires - MiamiHerald.com
[/LEFT]
WEBSTER, N.Y.: NY firemen's killer mapped out plan for slayings - Nation Wires - MiamiHerald.com

Old 12-26-2012, 08:54 AM

6,034 posts, read 7,206,198 times
Yes but felons can't own guns in New York or any other state? It is inconceivable that government regulation didn't stop this guy...... WHERE WAS LAW ENFORCEMENT>??

Old 12-26-2012, 09:00 AM

21,033 posts, read 10,667,215 times
Quote:
Police are certainly looking at the significance of an obituary written for Arline Spengler, William Spengler's mother, who passed away in October. It asked for memorials be made to the West Webster Fireman's Association Ambulance Fund.
Seems, like Lanza, to have had mommy issues. Definitely had a problem with grandma.

If you cannot keep guns out of the hands of people who killed granny how do you expect to keep guns out of the hands of others?

Old 12-26-2012, 11:59 AM

29,706 posts, read 12,421,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
Yes but felons can't own guns in New York or any other state? It is inconceivable that government regulation didn't stop this guy...... WHERE WAS LAW ENFORCEMENT>??
Could have been a private sale, no registration, no regulation of transfer, no background checks or maybe his mom or sister had a bushmaster.

Old 12-26-2012, 12:02 PM

15,404 posts, read 8,707,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
He should not of had any type of gun, especially a Bushmaster AR-15, it will be interesting to see how he got his hands on these guns.

[LEFT]
Read more here: WEBSTER, N.Y.: NY firemen's killer mapped out plan for slayings - Nation Wires - MiamiHerald.com
[/LEFT]
WEBSTER, N.Y.: NY firemen's killer mapped out plan for slayings - Nation Wires - MiamiHerald.com
Right - we MUST make laws to keep guns out of the hands of folks like him. We MUST confiscate guns from folks like him. We MUST keep these types of guns out of the hands of citizens.

Oh wait....he WAS prohibited from owning guns. How will more anti-gun laws work exactly?

Old 12-26-2012, 12:03 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,800,745 times
Why weren't hammers banned?

Most murders are the resuult of a very liberal and lenient justice system where prison sentences are very short for even the most heinous of crimes.

Exactly how do liberals come up with the ideas that murderers who savagely beat their own grandmothers and of course rapists and pedophiles can be rehabilitiated and released and will be model citizens?

This guy should have been given the death sentence -- immediately after his crime -- taxpayers should not be paying to keep this kind of worthless scum around.

Old 12-26-2012, 12:11 PM

4,266 posts, read 3,599,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Right - we MUST make laws to keep guns out of the hands of folks like him. We MUST confiscate guns from folks like him. We MUST keep these types of guns out of the hands of citizens.

Oh wait....he WAS prohibited from owning guns. How will more anti-gun laws work exactly?
I don't think that requiring a background check and registration of every firearm for ANY transaction (whether the firearm was sold, bought, traded or given away) is an anti-gun measure. I own 4 firearms and would not dream of selling/trading/giving away any of my guns to someone I didn't know (for a fact) that they aren't 1) crazy 2) criminals 3) violent 4) bad feeling about. Mind you, I can't perfectly know these things (and #4 is purely arbitrary) - but to the degree I can, I do. By not do this, we are hurting ourselves and making it harder for us gun owners. This man should not have been able to - under any situation - buy a gun.

Old 12-26-2012, 12:25 PM

3,178 posts, read 1,611,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
I don't think that requiring a background check and registration of every firearm for ANY transaction (whether the firearm was sold, bought, traded or given away) is an anti-gun measure. I own 4 firearms and would not dream of selling/trading/giving away any of my guns to someone I didn't know (for a fact) that they aren't 1) crazy 2) criminals 3) violent 4) bad feeling about. Mind you, I can't perfectly know these things (and #4 is purely arbitrary) - but to the degree I can, I do. By not do this, we are hurting ourselves and making it harder for us gun owners. This man should not have been able to - under any situation - buy a gun.
Every man is entitled to self defense. Denying him his rights to self defense would be morally wrong. Of course we see now he was a very sick individual but instead of preventing him from buying a gun after he served his time, we should have made his time longer or just hanged him. However, once back in society, we have no right to tell people they have no right to defend themselves.

Old 12-26-2012, 12:31 PM

9,942 posts, read 13,009,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieApocExtraordinaire View Post
Every man is entitled to self defense. Denying him his rights to self defense would be morally wrong. Of course we see now he was a very sick individual but instead of preventing him from buying a gun after he served his time, we should have made his time longer or just hanged him. However, once back in society, we have no right to tell people they have no right to defend themselves.
So in order to make sure that we don't ever upset gun fetishists by asking that unregistered private sales to wackos stop, we should make sure we hang every criminal who is convicted.

Which part of the bill of rights are we talking about now? I'm hoping your post was intentional satire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or