Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2012, 09:03 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,212,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post
The act sure. The repercussions no. A President's child being kidnapped has National Security implications. Joe Schmoe's doesn't.
Like what are they gonna do, tell someone that mommy and daddy sleep in different rooms?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2012, 09:05 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,937,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
Nobody says the federal government IS responsible at this time.

But they can always take on the responsibility if it made sense to do so, and our nation thought it was in our best interest.

I think having a single U.S. military training center prepare guards to protect schools makes more sense than having guards come from all sorts of varied backgrounds.

Kids would respect these guards if they knew they weren't just some local Joe Shmoe, who by day wanders around the school, and by night, hits the local bars.

The main thing is to create a deterrent which would make kids afraid to enter a school with weapons in the first place. The U.S. Military is a powerful deterrent.

The reason I suggest the U.S. military is because people all around the country are saying something needs to be done to protect all public schools, but nothing ever gets done. The nation talks about it for a few months. And then it becomes yesterdays news (Columbine, etc.) until it happens again a few years later.

Making it a federal responsibility will assure that ALL public schools will get protection right away.

It would keep the protection at the highest level. Who could provide better training than our military?

The soldiers don't need to make this a full time job. They could work as a school security guard for maybe one month a year, and rotate another soldier into the position at the end of each month. Use more guards at larger schools, less at smaller ones.

That way soldiers would spend the vast majority of their time doing what they do now, and only spend a small amount of time working at public schools.

We are already paying hundreds of thousands of people to be in the U.S. military. So why not put them to better use here at home when they are not overseas fighting? What better use than protecting our nation's children?
So Martial Law is the answer? Socialized school guards is a good idea?

Making it a federal responsibility is not the answer. Local government manages local public school so they need to handle it as their school base sees fit. If the parents want it then raise their taxes to pay for it.

Old 12-26-2012, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
Like what are they gonna do, tell someone that mommy and daddy sleep in different rooms?
Are you really that dense? Not that the child has National Security information but using the child of the President to either gain information, release a captive, gain political advantages etc from the POTUS themselves.

Wow. The fact I had to spell that out really blows my mind.

Old 12-26-2012, 09:07 AM

70 posts, read 106,804 times
Quote:
You have to pay for the weapons and training and by adding to their duties or asking them/telling them they have to put themselves in harms way as opposed to making it a conscious decision I am sure hazard pay will be required as well. That or a raise. Don't forget about getting it approved by the teacher's unions as well as the parents, school board etc.

Nothing is free.
Go outside... do you deserve Hazard Pay... youre as safe there as you are standing next to a psychopath. you cant expect not to be attacked or accosted at any time because it can ALWAYS happen, its people who get complacent and drop their guards who get hurt the worst. Hazard Pay is for people like electricians working on live lines, do you think SWAT gets hazard pay? Hell no! cause its part of their job to be in harms way and they know that.

Old 12-26-2012, 09:09 AM

11,143 posts, read 10,708,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
Nobody says the federal government IS responsible at this time.

But they can always take on the responsibility if it made sense to do so, and our nation thought it was in our best interest.

I think having a single U.S. military training center prepare guards to protect schools makes more sense than having guards come from all sorts of varied backgrounds.

Kids would respect these guards if they knew they weren't just some local Joe Shmoe, who by day wanders around the school, and by night, hits the local bars.

The main thing is to create a deterrent which would make kids afraid to enter a school with weapons in the first place. The U.S. Military is a powerful deterrent.

The reason I suggest the U.S. military is because people all around the country are saying something needs to be done to protect all public schools, but nothing ever gets done. The nation talks about it for a few months. And then it becomes yesterdays news (Columbine, etc.) until it happens again a few years later.

Making it a federal responsibility will assure that ALL public schools will get protection right away.

It would keep the protection at the highest level. Who could provide better training than our military?

The soldiers don't need to make this a full time job. They could work as a school security guard for maybe one month a year, and rotate another soldier into the position at the end of each month. Use more guards at larger schools, less at smaller ones.

That way soldiers would spend the vast majority of their time doing what they do now, and only spend a small amount of time working at public schools.

We are already paying hundreds of thousands of people to be in the U.S. military. So why not put them to better use here at home when they are not overseas fighting? What better use than protecting our nation's children?
This is probably the most realistic idea for protecting our children. We have a National Guard, so let's use them.

Old 12-26-2012, 09:09 AM

70 posts, read 106,804 times
Quote:
You have to pay for the weapons and training and by adding to their duties or asking them/telling them they have to put themselves in harms way as opposed to making it a conscious decision I am sure hazard pay will be required as well. That or a raise. Don't forget about getting it approved by the teacher's unions as well as the parents, school board etc.

Nothing is free.
p.s. i dont think you would have a hard time convincing the boards anymore...

Old 12-26-2012, 09:11 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,813,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaComm View Post
p.s. i dont think you would have a hard time convincing the boards anymore...
Please do not assume that this board is only a collective of idiots, zombies.

8,560 posts, read 11,212,862 times
Quote:
Are you really that dense? Not that the child has National Security information but using the child of the President to either gain information, release a captive, gain political advantages etc from the POTUS themselves.

Wow. The fact I had to spell that out really blows my mind.
Am I really that dense? Only I know the answer to that but you did step in it. Not sure it has anything to do with your mind.

But I have been suggesting that schools open their cafeterias to law enforcement as a place for coffee breaks. Heck, feed 'em school lunches. Just have a steady stream of cops arriving at and leaving the school. Have a couple of police cars parked outside the school throughout the day. Use the opportunity for community outreach. Socialize law enforcement with the students. Build an active line of communication and trust. The taxes are paid so put 'em to good use.

The cops don't have to be authoritative. Just alert and present. And heck, we've got a President who built a career on being Present.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaComm View Post
Go outside... do you deserve Hazard Pay... youre as safe there as you are standing next to a psychopath. you cant expect not to be attacked or accosted at any time because it can ALWAYS happen, its people who get complacent and drop their guards who get hurt the worst. Hazard Pay is for people like electricians working on live lines, do you think SWAT gets hazard pay? Hell no! cause its part of their job to be in harms way and they know that.
When you join SWAT you have that expectation. Not when you become a teacher or Principal. Horrible comparison. Really bad but like always on C-D bad comparisons, going to the extreme or just spouting is the norm.

Old 12-26-2012, 09:12 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,397,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
What does motivation have to do with it when the result is the same?

Everything. You'll learn this in Criminal Law 101. Actually, you should have learned this from watching any number of legal dramas on television.

Motivation is the heart of the criminal sentencing system.

It will always hurt to lose someone. But I believe most people would be more angry/hurt if their child died because they were targeted and murdered than if the child died accidentally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies