Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2012, 09:19 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,308,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
The Presidents daughters are no more important than any other girls in the country.
That's just plain ridiculous to say that. They'd be a very high value target for terrorists, drug lords and looney tunes with guns just because of the position their father holds. Is that the kind of country you want to live in, where our top government officials could be blackmailed to get their children back? How many people would even want the job of running this country if we can't or won't protect their families as part of the package? Quit showing your ignorance. You're making gun owners look foolish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2012, 09:20 AM

2,674 posts, read 4,391,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
So what you're both saying is that, as per usual, the Washington, D.C. elite deserve to have special privileges that are not only unavailable to the rest of us, but illegal for the rest of us as well. Do you not see the hypocrisy of our government passing laws that prohibit firearms at schools and then sending their children to a school that employs armed guards?

Quite frankly, I don't care how high profile their children are. The fact that they are surrounded by armed guards while schools across the nation are vulnerable to attack by nutjobs is outrageous. In a similar vein, who wants to bet that there will be special exemption for these security personnel if an "assault weapons" ban gets passed?
Not at all. Not just the D.C. elite- The Texas elite, NewYork elite.

You have to consider how likely an attack at School X is vs. Sidwell Friends. But also, it's a private school. An elite privste school. My school (which was the oldest in my state) had security as some of the Ford family, Dodge kids went there. It's status quo at a prep school where tuition hovers around $30k a year.

There's a difference between Sally Sue in pre-k packing a piece and a professional guard (in the case of Sidwell usually ex-military or off rotation from private security in the sandbox).

Old 12-25-2012, 09:23 AM

6,476 posts, read 7,320,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.XXX View Post
Typical liberal elitist hypocrisy...

School Obama's Daughters Attend Has 11 Armed Guards
And it's a Quaker school. Ironic?

Old 12-25-2012, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
The Presidents daughters are no more important than any other girls in the country.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
That's just plain ridiculous to say that. They'd be a very high value target for terrorists, drug lords and looney tunes with guns just because of the position their father holds. Is that the kind of country you want to live in, where our top government officials could be blackmailed to get their children back? How many people would even want the job of running this country if we can't or won't protect their families as part of the package? Quit showing your ignorance. You're making gun owners look foolish.
I think the point here is that the Newtown children weren't the children of elites or politicians and yet were targets. Does it matter why a child is targeted? I know you agree with me that the Newtown children were as precious to their parents as any politicians' kids are to them. All children deserve to be safe. I think that was btownboss' point.

Merry Christmas.

Old 12-25-2012, 09:31 AM

11,143 posts, read 10,704,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyDay View Post
Not at all. Not just the D.C. elite- The Texas elite, NewYork elite.

You have to consider how likely an attack at School X is vs. Sidwell Friends. But also, it's a private school. An elite privste school. My school (which was the oldest in my state) had security as some of the Ford family, Dodge kids went there. It's status quo at a prep school where tuition hovers around $30k a year.

There's a difference between Sally Sue in pre-k packing a piece and a professional guard (in the case of Sidwell usually ex-military or off rotation from private security in the sandbox).
So what would be the problem with having professional armed guards at public schools? After all, we've seen ample evidence that they can be targeted by people who want to cause mayhem.

Old 12-25-2012, 09:49 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
The top 1% send their kids to liberal elitist schools? What would the Koch Brothers do?

Old 12-25-2012, 09:53 AM

5,319 posts, read 8,981,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
I think the point here is that the Newtown children weren't the children of elites or politicians and yet were targets. Does it matter why a child is targeted? I know you agree with me that the Newtown children were as precious to their parents as any politicians' kids are to them. All children deserve to be safe. I think that was btownboss' point.

Merry Christmas.
The shooter didn't go into the school knowing exactly who he intended to shoot.

The shooter just wanted to make a statement, and did so by killing a lot of innocent victims.

That kind of thing can happen anywhere ... at any school ... at any shopping mall.

You can never predict when some mentally ill person will go haywire with a gun, so there is no way to plan in advance for it.

You just provide whatever protection you can afford, and hope it will be enough.

At the school Obama's children attend, many of these children are children of parents who are well known, and they could be targets for premeditated crimes, so they require extra protection.

Last edited by RD5050; 12-25-2012 at 10:06 AM..

Old 12-25-2012, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
The shooter didn't go into the school knowing exactly who he intended to shoot.

The shooter just wanted to make a statement, and did so by killing a lot of innocent victims.

That kind of thing can happen anywhere.

At the school Obama's children attend, many of these children are well known, and could be targets for premeditated crimes, so they require extra protection.
I don't buy it. I know that's the rationale, but I don't buy it. "Your kid's on her own, but mine get protection cuz I'm a big shot."

Screw that.

Old 12-25-2012, 09:59 AM

11,143 posts, read 10,704,481 times
As a general response to all those who are defending the fact that the elites are not subject to the same rules the rest of us are, I'll say this:

In my mind, President Obama's children and the children of any other of the elite crowd are not more important than mine are. In fact, nobody's children are more important to me, or deserve any more protection, than mine. The fact that it's okay for his children and the rest of the elites' children to have armed guards at their schools while mine are subject to laws that turn their school into a hunting preserve for any nutjob that comes along is offensive and hypocritical.

Old 12-25-2012, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
As a general response to all those who are defending the fact that the elites are not subject to the same rules the rest of us are, I'll say this:

In my mind, President Obama's children and the children of any other of the elite crowd are not more important than mine are. In fact, nobody's children are more important to me, or deserve any more protection, than mine. The fact that it's okay for his children and the rest of the elites' children to have armed guards at their schools while mine are subject to laws that turn their school into a hunting preserve for any nutjob that comes along is offensive and hypocritical.
Tried to rep ya, but....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies