Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2012, 04:59 PM

76,860 posts, read 47,191,511 times

Advertisements

Most likely a hoax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2012, 05:07 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,298 posts, read 14,107,838 times
I don't buy it. I realize that conditions in their factories are terrible enough to induce quite a few suicides, but this particular note is written in better English than TexDav can muster up, and I think someone with that good a command of the language wouldn't be stuck on an assembly line.

Old 12-26-2012, 05:58 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,904,965 times
My husband and I travel and neither of us have any inclination to go to China. We read other web comments and many place that country way on the bottom of the Asia list of where to visit.

Purported plea from Chinese labor camp found in Halloween decorations | Fox News

The note is printed in the article and it has misspellings and uses improper English in places.

Homeland Security Investigations said Tuesday that it is looking into the letter, The Oregonian reported.

Old 12-26-2012, 06:16 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,456,708 times
The cursive writing style suggests the writer is likely someone other than who they claim.

Old 12-26-2012, 06:28 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,256,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
My husband and I travel and neither of us have any inclination to go to China. We read other web comments and many place that country way on the bottom of the Asia list of where to visit.

Purported plea from Chinese labor camp found in Halloween decorations | Fox News

The note is printed in the article and it has misspellings and uses improper English in places.

Homeland Security Investigations said Tuesday that it is looking into the letter, The Oregonian reported.
Just went to China in April for 3 weeks. Loved every minute of it. Didn't see any sweatshops and the history, museums, and culture were outstanding. I kicked myself for only staying such a short time.

Old 12-26-2012, 06:36 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,277,623 times
slavery is alive and well. It has merely been outsourced.

Old 12-26-2012, 06:42 PM

2,924 posts, read 5,586,847 times
china prolly has the best labor protection laws in the developing world. this is most likely a hoax.

Old 12-26-2012, 07:27 PM

29,935 posts, read 18,495,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGTAIV View Post
Woman finds note from person locked in Chinese labor camp inside Halloween decorations:

Halloween decorations carry haunting message of forced labor | OregonLive.com

Truly, truly sad. If everyone really cares about other human beings, please stop buying Chinese goods!
This is what NAFTA and China most favored nation trade status brought to the world.

Thank you, Bill Clinton. Ross Perot was right, and most American voters laughed at him. Keep in mind, however, that American voters just re-elected Obama as well.

Old 12-26-2012, 07:33 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,793,909 times
It is a hoax. Sweatshops is a step on the road to progress. It beats dumpster diving, or in poor countries landfill scavenging. Sweatshops are a good thing.

I know a gal who immigrated from China. She was a banker there. After ten years in this country her written English is still lacking compared to that note by a sweatshop worker. What will be the next BS post?

Old 12-27-2012, 10:10 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,927,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Yeah. We have outlawed sweatshops in the US just to move the slave labor to other countries.

You know, more and more we can see the need for a one world government, although that in itself is an awful thought and open for abuse. At least we need world wide environmental controls and labor laws, no?
I can buy your first point. But an absolute NO for a one world government. What we need to do is stop doing business with that country. PERIOD!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies