Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 09:00 AM

88,571 posts, read 84,777,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Just went to China in April for 3 weeks. Loved every minute of it. Didn't see any sweatshops and the history, museums, and culture were outstanding. I kicked myself for only staying such a short time.
The factories and the dorms for the workers who live in them are usually in remote areas away from tourist areas. They do exist.

It's not as black-and-white or cut-and-dried as people would like things to be. There are terrible human-rights abuses going on in China. There is also a huge capitalistic segment of society--making money is the number-one concentration of a lot of the Chinese. My daughter was living there (Chengdu) last year and said she never saw so much greed and desire to be rich as she did in China. If you have money, you walk into a restaurant and order tons of food you cannot possibly eat just to show off how rich you are, and then leave the food on the table and walk away.

People are people and the same wherever you go.

The other thing that surprised my daughter was how many Americans have made China their home. They own restaurants, night clubs, etc. Also, there are approximately 12,000 American students studying in China every year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2012, 06:12 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,971,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
china prolly has the best labor protection laws in the developing world. this is most likely a hoax.
If they do, they certainly refuse to enforce them.
News about how horribly that country treats it's people is common in reputable publications. They certainly have a burgeoning capitalist class, like Russia - but they are also notorious for their corruption, often not by the organizations that run the cities, but rural villages. There have been so many specials on tv about their polluted water from industrial runoff, corrupt officials, the solving of suicides by nets around buildings. Remember all those dead children and their parents crying in the streets because some bureaucrat accepted shoddy work from the guy who constructed the schoolhouse?

China has a nice facade in the tourist areas, but that is built on a hell hole of rural and factory life.

That exhibit of dead human bodies making its way around the world from China was found to be often those of prisoners and not people who just died of natural causes. How could anyone who knows anything of that country say good things of it? It's a nightmare.

Last edited by goldengrain; 12-30-2012 at 07:12 AM..

Old 12-30-2012, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
This is what NAFTA and China most favored nation trade status brought to the world.

Thank you, Bill Clinton. Ross Perot was right, and most American voters laughed at him. Keep in mind, however, that American voters just re-elected Obama as well.
Ross Perot came into being because both the Republicans and Democrats in this country are pushing some of the same agendas regarding interdependent international trade and the free movement of alien populations in and out of countries (meaning cheap labor). The Libertarians are just as bad.

Old 12-30-2012, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
It is a hoax. Sweatshops is a step on the road to progress. It beats dumpster diving, or in poor countries landfill scavenging. Sweatshops are a good thing.

I know a gal who immigrated from China. She was a banker there. After ten years in this country her written English is still lacking compared to that note by a sweatshop worker. What will be the next BS post?
BS post, is right.
It is very common that people who learn a language can write it better than speaking it. VERY common. I worked for a foriegn company and saw this first hand.

How are some people excusing this away?
It's just nuts.

Old 12-30-2012, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
YOU cannot stop doing business with them PERIOD. They own your azz.

Who do you think has been buying your debt and financing your stupid fiasco in Iraq?

After you go over that fiscal cliff and debt rating agencies take your dollar into the crapper along with your ability to print greenbacks to service your debt, guess what happens then???? They among others will likely cut their losses and call for the reserve currency to be something OTHER than the USD. Oooh brother; you think times are tough now?

You ain't seen nothing yet and that goes double for your absolute necessity to do business with China
There is some room for compromise here, like decent working hours, clean water and air, fairer and more open treatment of prisoners, maybe eventually not eating dogs.

Old 12-30-2012, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
my ex did.lol

Goldengrain, yikes re: chinese food/dog story -are u in ny

If americans could they should boycott all purchases from sweatshops, the problem is you have to really research what you are buying, i.e. furniture, home improvements, etc.

now wal-mart is a given, naturally.
The Chinese dog incidents were in New Jersey. I have not purchased Won Ton for quite a while. I've lost my taste for it. They are thick noodle and the meat is ground into a paste and smeared on. I swear that story is true. It makes me so sad.

Old 12-30-2012, 07:11 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,302,323 times
Quote:
You tell them; they're still around and some are flourishing today with using nothing more than their bravery to foment resistance. You won't find bravery at the butt end of any gun fella.

While we're on this topic; just where do you think the bulk of the weapons used to enslave some entire countries came from? Who do you think trained the Shah of Irans torturer's? Why is it, do you suppose, the Iranians of today have such a hard-on for you folks? Care to guess?

A lot of people on the planet have organized rebellions without having the arms to go up against the arms you provided their oppressors and yet you refuse to take any lesson away from that.

You don't need guns, you just need the will and no other choice. The guns will come last.
Exactly. And anyone who thinks they have the "right" to bear arms will continue to have that right should a government decide to turn on it's people are fooling themselves! An oppressive government will take away all of your rights no matter what a piece of paper says. That's what pro-2nd amendment folks don't get. You think if the US decides to turn on it's people, it's going to say, "Now, now, just wait there folks. We can't do this to Americans. It's says right there (pointing to Bill of Rights) that they have the right to firearms." Bull****.

Old 12-30-2012, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
whether note was a hoax or not, sweatshops need to be boycotted

We bought a dining room set for over 18k a few years ago. Turn it over, made in Malaysia. Pure junk as the cherry wood was poorly crafted

Americans need to stop buying garbage. Will it ever happen?

alot of those sweatshops also utilize human trafficking. It is a disgrace.
I am greatly disturbed by the content of the letter and the re-education camps. Americans (or any other country that uses many of the same products) will not stop buying items. This year, I made a concerted effort to buy local. For the adults in my life, it was fairly easy but I also wasn't buying electronics or other similar items. For kids? No way could I shop local. I couldn't find one place that sold children's toys made in America, let alone locally. If I had, that's where I would have shopped.

I just think the idea of "don't buy from them!" is not feasible. All of us have computers here. Where were they made?

Old 12-30-2012, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some_Random_Guy View Post
You spent 18 grand on a dining room set. LOL!!!

Now that is consumerism at its finest.
Get off your pedestal. You spend money on stuff you don't need as well.

Old 12-30-2012, 07:48 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,751,657 times
Quote:
YOU cannot stop doing business with them PERIOD. They own your azz.

Who do you think has been buying your debt and financing your stupid fiasco in Iraq?

After you go over that fiscal cliff and debt rating agencies take your dollar into the crapper along with your ability to print greenbacks to service your debt, guess what happens then???? They among others will likely cut their losses and call for the reserve currency to be something OTHER than the USD. Oooh brother; you think times are tough now?

You ain't seen nothing yet and that goes double for your absolute necessity to do business with China
Really? And if this country falls into the black hole, how long do you think it will be before Canada and Europe fall also? Canada has one of the highest costs of living in the world because of your crappy health care. Believe me, you are right behind us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies