Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 08:44 PM

6,261 posts, read 5,068,575 times

Advertisements

Nancy Pelosi defends doctored photo of women in the new Congress | The Ticket - Yahoo! News

I don't really care that four female lawmakers were added into the photograph because they couldn't make it to the photo op in time.

What I think about when I read this story is that it is becoming increasingly difficult to believe anything anymore.

When public demonstrations are held, you hear about hired picketers being bused in to rally for the cause. When I read posts on message boards I know that there are individuals paid to troll, hijack threads and sabotage conversations. When I look at official pictures I read about folks being inserted into the picture.

A few days ago there was a thread asking if professional athletes, musicians and actors are paid too much. Computer generation is becoming so sophisticated and characters so fine-tuned that in 10 years there won't be a need for human actors. Computer generated actors will look so human we won't be able to tell the difference.

And then we won't be able to believe anything that we read, that we hear or that we see. And that's MY happy thought for this evening.

Last edited by juneaubound; 01-04-2013 at 09:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2013, 08:49 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
you hit the nail on the head with the problem that photo doctoring creates. in this case, yes so what that pelosi doctored the photo, but what about next time when its a prosecutor or defense attorney that doctors a photo? or a cop? once it is done and accepted, we start down that slippery slope to where video and photographic evidence becomes suspect.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:21 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,668,392 times
I saw that story on TV and thought it's indicative of the lies that comes out of DC. How hard would it to have been to simply say the 4 were unavailable for the photo? That would have been the easy, honest thing to have done. But noooooooo, despicable Nancy had to photoshop the thing. What a piece of trash she is. Seeing her defend it proves she has no moral compass.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:59 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
Thats just...stupid and weird. I do not agree with this deceitfulness and trickery. Over something so banal too.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:11 PM

20,329 posts, read 19,918,958 times
I love some of the comments, they're funny as hell.....

""We have to take the picture before we can find out who's not in it."

"FIRST day and they can't get EVERYONE to show up at the same time. Where does one get a job like that?"

"I just copied the picture and pasted myself in it. I am now a new member of Congress."

"Maybe to avoid the bone chilling Washin#$%$on weather they should have waited inside for everyone to arrive then walked outside to take the picture. That would have taken brains and planning something politicians lack."

Old 01-04-2013, 11:45 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
Photoshopped ehh? It's like with models and celebrities and theis the "ideal" women have been trying to live up to for a long time now that actually requires surgeries and photoshopping. Sick. Nothing really new, "reality" really isn't. I'd rather see the real thing, warts and all. Missing people and all. There shouldn't be shame in anything like that. In the big scheme this picture doesn't bother me though, it's probably the most innocent use of photo doctoring.

Old 01-05-2013, 01:01 AM

593 posts, read 1,411,470 times
I've been thinking about this problem and maybe we shouldn't take it so lightly. It's an insidious problem that screws with your mind in subtle ways. Yes, we who have lived through the transition from regular photographs to seamlessly photoshopped photographs, can easily say, yes don't believe what you see. But when younger generations get older and all they know is photoshopped stuff and can't tell the difference (or maybe don't care) and their history of photographs is full of faked imagery and their magazine articles are all digital and easily edited to remove controversial things, and new methods of "photoshopping" become almost undetectable, and there's no physical paper trail of anything any more, will the next generations just believe whatever they see?

It's a virtual memory hole straight out of Orwell's novel 1984.

Old 01-05-2013, 01:08 AM

45,220 posts, read 26,431,296 times
I cant believe there are still people, who are uncomfortable with dishonesty? lol

Old 01-05-2013, 06:32 AM

24,401 posts, read 23,056,554 times
Doctored photos are nothing compared to doctored backgrounds, doctored college records, and doctored elections.
Its DC, nothing is honest, real or as it seems.

Old 01-05-2013, 07:32 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,553,504 times
The main issue that I have with this is that Pelosi (in her usual dishonest way) sees nothing wrong with doctoring what is to be a historical photo to suit her own desires.

Altering history in advance? And many see no problem with that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies