U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2012, 06:52 PM

1,482 posts, read 1,806,498 times

Advertisements

It can follow the path Australia has taken with firearms

Gun politics in Australia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Or, it can begin to arm ALL school children including seven year olds with 22 long rifle pistols, think arming the teacher will work, it won't ,any nutter with a AR15 will shoot any adult in any class room first.

There will be accidents if children are armed, of course, but that is the choice you have.

So there you are, want to join civilised countries or do you prefer for your children to pay the price of your love of firearms ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2012, 07:11 PM

7,313 posts, read 4,008,187 times
Those are the only choices?
You have a limited imagination.

Old 12-25-2012, 07:14 PM

44,924 posts, read 27,199,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzrugby View Post

Or, it can begin to arm ALL school children including seven year olds with 22 long rifle pistols, think arming the teacher will work, it won't ,any nutter with a AR15 will shoot any adult in any class room first.

There will be accidents if children are armed, of course, but that is the choice you have.

So there you are, want to join civilised countries or do you prefer for your children to pay the price of your love of firearms ?
Do you still live in and play in New Zealand? If so I wonder just how much you know about the Constitution of the United States from reading it. I wonder if you really think that our government can repeal the 2nd Amendment without formal amending procedure being followed. It can't be done without the possibility of revolution. People who don't have written constitutions all seem to think it is really easy to change what they say, and ours does have a formal amendment procedure to follow.

I guess you think that the shooter at Newtown would have gone from classroom to classroom shooting the teachers so as to get the gun toters. I don't think he thought about that or would if the teachers were all armed. He would have cut down on the time for slaughter if he had done that and that would have saved lives. Some of those people managed to lock their doors or hide kids behind locked doors so that limited him. I think that many of you gun grabbers will have to understand, someday, that things just don't always work the way you want them to. Your suggestion is just left leaning attempt to grab guns.

Old 12-25-2012, 07:16 PM

809 posts, read 1,461,165 times
So the choice is to pretty much treat guns like cars, and require them to be registered, and different licenses to operate depending on the gun to demonstrate proficiency, or, just...give every person who can hold a gun a gun?

Okay.

Old 12-25-2012, 07:17 PM

13,072 posts, read 11,120,820 times
Quote:

You only provide two choices to which you specifically limit for the benefit of your argument.

Not really a choice at all and in fact it is what is called a "False Dilemma" fallacy.

Odd you make a claim for being civilized while using uncivilized reasoning.

As for wanting to be like Australia, I am sure you are capable of finding your way there. Good luck!

Old 12-25-2012, 07:17 PM

15,924 posts, read 16,925,936 times
Quote:

Nothing like only presenting extremes....

Why do Americans have to be concerned over "civilized" countries that have 1/10th the GDP of America?

If we have a choice between the mentality of the kiwi's or the Americans live I'll pick Americans any day of the week...

What Australians think of kiwi's:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hlFcnkGY-o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8Q36-9UUQE

Last edited by plwhit; 12-25-2012 at 07:27 PM..

Old 12-25-2012, 07:21 PM

28,040 posts, read 38,076,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Do you still live in and play in New Zealand? If so I wonder just how much you know about the Constitution of the United States from reading it. I wonder if you really think that our government can repeal the 2nd Amendment without formal amending procedure being followed. It can't be done without the possibility of revolution. People who don't have written constitutions all seem to think it is really easy to change what they say, and ours does have a formal amendment procedure to follow.

I guess you think that the shooter at Newtown would have gone from classroom to classroom shooting the teachers so as to get the gun toters. I don't think he thought about that or would if the teachers were all armed. He would have cut down on the time for slaughter if he had done that and that would have saved lives. Some of those people managed to lock their doors or hide kids behind locked doors so that limited him. I think that many of you gun grabbers will have to understand, someday, that things just don't always work the way you want them to. Your suggestion is just left leaning attempt to grab guns.
Constitution or no constitution, amendment or no amendment, it comes down to a very simple choice: either outlaw ALL guns or live with the real threat of your children or loved ones dying as a victim of gun violence every time they go out the door. I have no doubt Americans will choose the latter for the time being. I don't know how bad it will have to get before we repeal the 2nd and confiscate the guns. It is going to take a lot more than 20 children being killed at a school. That is for certain.

Old 12-25-2012, 07:29 PM

15,924 posts, read 16,925,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Constitution or no constitution, amendment or no amendment, it comes down to a very simple choice: either outlaw ALL guns or live with the real threat of your children or loved ones dying as a victim of gun violence every time they go out the door. I have no doubt Americans will choose the latter for the time being. I don't know how bad it will have to get before we repeal the 2nd and confiscate the guns. It is going to take a lot more than 20 children being killed at a school. That is for certain.
How many children are killed by drunk drivers?

We should take all cars away from people....

Same logic except more children get killed by drunk drivers than mass murderers....

Old 12-25-2012, 07:32 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,954,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
or
If we look at the mass killings, historically many of the individual shooters at some point were being treated for mental issues. We could require Doctors to disclose said patients who are unstable. Would some be denied access to guns who never would have committed these horrible acts? Yes.
Personally I find this a better alternative than punishing the masses for the sins of a few.

Old 12-25-2012, 07:32 PM

28,040 posts, read 38,076,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
How many children are killed by drunk drivers?

We should take all cars away from people....

Same logic except more children get killed by drunk drivers than mass murderers....
No, that is illogic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies