Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 02:11 PM

45 posts, read 66,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majordomo View Post
I always assumed black people that were born in Canada say aboot instead of about. I'm a right or am I wrong?
Haha, aboot if I recall correctly is an American pronunciation used by people from the New England region but it's very rare to hear it from a person in Canada. Our accents are not much different than American accent in the northern states. If you go to the Maritime provinces in Canada you will hear different accents than the other provinces.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2012, 02:28 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,593,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stretchy View Post
Haha, aboot if I recall correctly is an American pronunciation used by people from the New England region but it's very rare to hear it from a person in Canada. Our accents are not much different than American accent in the northern states. If you go to the Maritime provinces in Canada you will hear different accents than the other provinces.

Bull****. I have known many,many Canadians and they all said aboot. All of them. This is after them living in the northern tier state of California for many years.

Old 12-26-2012, 02:39 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,671,924 times
What's there to think? They're black...they're Canadian...and that's all there is to think?

Old 12-26-2012, 02:53 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,132,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stretchy View Post
Most black people here are first, second, and third generation african or caribbean. So they do have their own black culture from the country their grandparents or parents come from. When people immigrate to another country they adopt their culture, values, and mannerisms of the country. It's called assimilation and it is the best way to survive in a new environment.

I mean we don't try to copy the stereotypical black American behavior because we realized the stigma and negativity attached to it. If anything we try to stay as far as possible from the stereotypes. My friends and I sometimes have discussions of how the black American stereotypes have basically mess up for all black people worldwide.

Toronto is kind of like a typical American big city like NYC with a Canadian twist. I guess that's why you can't tell the difference when you visited eh?
One of the main tactics of the manipulator is dividing and concurring. As long as you let the doctrine of evil influence your thinking and in-turn your decisions you will remain a slave to the bigots. Before hip hop culture was stereotyped it was rhythm and Blues, and before that the Jazz culture. There will always be those that stereotype blacks and changing to appease those types will only lead to a loss of identity & increased hatred...

by the way, have you ever heard of the rapper Drake?

Old 12-26-2012, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
I don't know about black Canadians trying to stay away from the stereotypes....because to my understanding the problems with crime and hard drugs and out of wedlock children in Canada are attributed to the black population there. Many of the Africans and Carribean folks bring over many of the bad habits that they've practiced in their very own countries.

From what I've seen, particulary with younger black canadians is that many of them try to pretend that they are U.S. Americans for a variety of reasons.
Like I said, black Canadians make up a small percentage of the population in Canada. Most of the crime, drugs, and out of wedlock children occurs in small black communities in the large cities. Young black canadians try to pretend to be Americans?

Not true, we might be similar but we have different mentality than the black Americans does.

Old 12-26-2012, 03:13 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times
My hat is off to any of my Canadian brothers who play a game where it is legal for white guys to attack you with a stick and you don't get all Nat Turner on their asses.

Old 12-26-2012, 03:19 PM

2,134 posts, read 3,042,740 times
I cannot recall ever having a conversation about black Canadians. I'm only one black person though.

Old 12-26-2012, 03:21 PM

1,469 posts, read 1,801,443 times
Default Floored!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibioiniui View Post
I recently met a black Canadian, our conversation went something like this:

Me: "I'm not your homie, cuz!"
Him: "I'm not your cuz, dawg!"
Me: "I'm not your dawg, homie!"

Yeah...

BOL LMBBO!! Hilarious!!

Old 12-26-2012, 03:23 PM

5,638 posts, read 6,515,537 times
I have no idea.

Old 12-26-2012, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Blue View Post
Bull****. I have known many,many Canadians and they all said aboot. All of them. This is after them living in the northern tier state of California for many years.
You probably watch too much "South Park" because they pronounce aboot just to make fun of us.
I live in Ontario and I never say aboot nor I ever heard anyone say it. If you heard other Canadians say it then they must have accents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies