Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 08:10 PM

11,223 posts, read 16,356,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
My Canadian friends...maybe you can help me understand something. What's up with the Zed thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickh1954 View Post
That's easy, it's the correct pronunciation of the letter Z.

Glad I could help.

Not only that, but think Camaro.

ZEE 28

or

ZED 28

C'mon. No contest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Are black Canadians considered good tippers overall by servers in the restaurants up there?
Depends if they're cheap of not, I suppose. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2017, 06:49 AM

118 posts, read 95,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Blue View Post
Just kidding. Seriously though,don't be so sensitive abouyt accents. I think it's great o have one,if one does.
Do You realize that YOU yourself have an accent?

Old 05-18-2017, 09:20 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,752,703 times
I posted in the thread years ago when it started, but wanted to note that since then, I've discovered I have ancestors who moved to Ontario, Canada - the Chatham-Kent area in the early to mid 1850s and I still have black Canadian cousins in Ontario.

Most of the family moved back to the US following the Civil War but some stayed there and I've connected with members of my extended family via social media who are black Canadians.

I've researched a lot about black Canadians over the last 5 years since this thread started and discovered as well that a substantial amount of free black people moved to Canada during the era mentioned above due to the passage of the Fugitive Slave Law of 1850 and free blacks in various states feeling threatened by attempted kidnappings in certain states after that law was passed.

A woman considered to be a famous black Canadian - Mary Shadd Cary lead the movement to encourage free blacks to move to Ontario. One of her sisters married into my family and my family lived near the Shadds in Ontario.

People also forget that Canada did import African slaves in the 1600s and early 1700s and had a system of slavery until it was outlawed by Britain. The descendants of those African slaves and servants (like the US many of them were also indentured servants) are still in Canada as well. EdwardA mentioned the Nova Scotia black inhabitants and many of them are descendants of blacks who fought with the British in the War of 1812. There was a series made about that community called "The Book of Negroes."

I agree that most black Canadians today are descendants of recent immigrants from the African diaspora, but Canada has a very deep, interesting history of black Canadians, especially so in specific geographic regions. Also all of the blacks who moved to Canada in the 18th and 19th centuries were not runaway slaves. Some wrote about their reasons to move to Canada and basically those reasons were because in the USA, no matter how prosperous a black man became, he could not be assured of his rights in 18th and 19th century America would be protected by our government. In Canada they were more assured that their rights would be protected, even though most of the narratives and writings I've gone through regarding black Canadians in my research has shown that blacks in Canada were also viewed through a racist and stereotypical lens by many whites in their communities, however, those whites could not and did not attempt to victimize the blacks because Canadian law protected all citizens. Social racism was easier to deal with than the systematic racism endemic in the USA during those times.

Old 05-18-2017, 09:22 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,752,703 times
On the original question, my original answer still stands. I don't think anything in particular about black Canadians. I've met a few over these last 5 years in person, in Canada. They are just people like everyone else.

Old 07-22-2017, 04:16 AM

397 posts, read 315,081 times
I don't think it's something most black Americans really consider at all. A black person with a thick Canadian accent like Vegan Gains might stick out in the US. If they're more like Tristan Thompson, most people will just assume they're African American. I guess Drake is a constant cultural reminder that there are black people in Canada, but for the most part, it's a nonentity. I think black people in Canada think a lot more about black people or the black experience in the US than vice versa. And just in general, Canadians of all colors pay more attention to the US than the inverse.

Old 06-28-2019, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stretchy View Post
Haha, aboot if I recall correctly is an American pronunciation used by people from the New England region but it's very rare to hear it from a person in Canada. Our accents are not much different than American accent in the northern states. If you go to the Maritime provinces in Canada you will hear different accents than the other provinces.
I'm a native New Englander and no, we don't pronounce it that way. I realize that the typical Canadian pronunciation of about sounds more like "a boat" than "a boot".

Old 06-28-2019, 11:26 PM

2,181 posts, read 1,370,424 times
Quote:
You probably watch too much "South Park" because they pronounce aboot just to make fun of us.
I live in Ontario and I never say aboot nor I ever heard anyone say it. If you heard other Canadians say it then they must have accents.
Most canadians say aboot/aboat. Fact. Even I say it after so much time here !

Old 06-28-2019, 11:46 PM

Quote:
I'm a Black Canadian. Most of us are either from Africa, Caribbean, Europe, and some are from America. Also, we make up a small percentage of the population in Canada. So we don't make as much of a impact on society or our media as a group. Many people believe Black Canadians don't act like Black Americans. I mean can you tell the difference? Other ethnic people can add their opinions as well.
I'm half black, half white and from the US. My general impression of black Canadians is that they seem more "American" than white Canadians. I grew up in the Boston area, and one of our local sports stars at the time was Rick Fox. I'd say his accent sounded more American to my ears than Canadian. I think you'd have an easier time differentiating between white Canadians and white Americans than black Canadians and black Americans. I've heard few black Canadians with a more "typical" Canadian accent and I found it to be kind of funny and unexpected.

Interview with Rick Fox:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYxHtF2SCQk

Interview with black Canadian Tristan Thompson. He uses the American pronunciation of process (praw-cess) rather than the Canadian pronunciation (pro-cess) and just generally sounds more American than Canadian to me. Even the "bold" way he acts seems more stereotypically American than Canadian to me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4xMeKBliHQ

Interview with white Canadian Shane Smith. I realize his accent is more specific to the Ottawa Valley than to all of Canada, but regardless, his accent stands out from white American accents. Few people would confuse him with an American:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-8an-U7szs

Interview with white Canadian Jordan Peterson who grew up in Alberta and has resided in Ontario for a long time. Has an accent that is strongly identified as Canadian, few would confuse him with an American:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjdlJBSp1lc

Interview with black Canadian Richard Burgess aka Vegan Gains. He's a YouTube/online personality that has the most stereotypically Canadian accent I've heard on a black person. He was born and raised in the Toronto area and still lives there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shW8HVHYunQ

Note: I kept the videos short so they could gave an adequate but not overly long sample of their voices and accents for comparison. Almost all of the videos are less than 5 minutes, and ALL of them are less than 10.

Old 06-29-2019, 01:39 AM

33,502 posts, read 36,999,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majordomo View Post
I always assumed black people that were born in Canada say aboot instead of about. I'm a right or am I wrong?
Nobody says "aboot" in Canada, except fishers looking for their wet gear... "Have you see a boot in here?"

PS... I didn't notice how old this tread was....

Old 06-29-2019, 01:44 AM

57,022 posts, read 35,026,614 times
Haven’t thought about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies