Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2012, 10:12 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,264,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
She might not have been the designated shooter. I suppose you could arm them all (teachers, cafeteria workers, janitor, secretary) just to be sure.

Frankly, I think this whole thing from both the left and the right, the gun nuts and the gun haters, is over reaction and silliness. Getting rid of guns is not going to work and neither is arming every adult in the school system (or one in a school of hundreds of kids, multiple buildings, etc). We need to keep this in perspective. The odds of Newtown violence happening in any given school are near zero - guns or no guns, designated shooter teachers or no designated shooter teachers.
But I had been told that those 25 year olds probably wouldn't take that responsibility and I merely said that that woman probably would have if she hadn't been in a gun free zone. I bet you would have a real battle on your hands if you offered something like this to the remaining teachers at that school. Oh well, they always say that lightning just doesn't strike in the same place twice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2012, 10:14 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,147,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I am intimately familiar with schools in this state. There is no union power in schools. You don't know squat about it, so don't argue with me.
Do YOU think that the Designated Teacher Gun Toter will get a well earned raise for being the Designated Target????

Old 12-26-2012, 10:15 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,224,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
But I had been told that those 25 year olds probably wouldn't take that responsibility and I merely said that that woman probably would have if she hadn't been in a gun free zone. I bet you would have a real battle on your hands if you offered something like this to the remaining teachers at that school. Oh well, they always say that lightning just doesn't strike in the same place twice.
Well, that is just speculative and adds nothing to the discussion.

Old 12-26-2012, 10:15 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,264,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
You could be honest and just say,

" TAXPAYERS will have taxes raised to pay for it.And I'm a Republican and love bigger government and higher taxes if it's something I want.""
I would certainly prefer paying more taxes for that purpose than the $2400 more in income taxes I will have to give our President or God knows what next year. Oh yeah, our income taxes will go up a bunch next year without the Bush-Obama tax cuts.

Old 12-26-2012, 10:18 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,600,959 times
Who would pay for it? Local taxpayers, federal government, grants, etc...

In my district, there was recently a review of the money spent for a school resource officer. For one year, the school district pays nearly $80,000 for this officer. The 12 month salary of an officer in the same county after 5 years of service is $62,450. What I don't understand about this, is why is the school district on the hook for the entire salary and benefits?

I think there should be a cost share between schools districts and the city/town/county police where those officers are paid for their time relative to the time they spend on duty for the schools.

As for this bill in AZ? Depending on the district, I believe it can be a good thing. There is a district in Texas that allows teachers to concealed carry, the biggest reason is that the local sheriff is over 30 minutes away. If there was an issue, help is a long time away. If you've never driven in rural Arizona, you'd see that many of those school district would be the same.

Old 12-26-2012, 10:18 PM

26,653 posts, read 28,677,767 times
Somebody needs to get to the real root of the problem, whatever it is. Then DO something about it, whether it's more care for the mentally ill, less violence in the media, fewer guns, or some combination.

You don't just keep over reacting and adding more guns and then more guns and then more guns. What good does that do? Where does it end.

Old 12-26-2012, 10:19 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,733,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
If a crazed assault rifle wielding killer is heading your way, an armed teacher would just offer more ammo to the killer. If real cops couldn't stop columbine and real soldiers couldn't stop fort hood, what in the hell makes you think a 60 year old EDUCATOR will fair better? Maybe you cons forgot that schools are not jails...Stop it with your police state fantasy.

Hey, why not barbed wire, medal detectors and electric fences. Maybe force each student to wear bullet proof vests and carry there own pistols..Hey, while your at it, lets just cancel school!! A dumb, scared populous would certainly be more conservative.
There's a reason this nutter didn't attack the nearest shooting range: He knew people at shooting ranges just might shoot back. How many times have we seen these sorts of people attack police stations where they would encounter the same problems? These people are cowards and prefer targets where they don't have to worry about anyone shooting back.

But hey, go ahead and keep on believing your crazed fantasy that a gun pointed at them is just extra ammo. Feel free to continue to disregard the obvious fact that these folks aren't attacking places where somebody might shoot back.

Truth is, our schools are easy targets. There are two points of view being put forward:
A.) Crack down on gun ownership, restrict assault rifles and make it insanely difficult to own guns.
B.) Put guns in the hands of teachers and principals, thereby making schools a less attractive target for homicidal lunatics.

There are just too many guns of all types already in circulation to make option A anything more than a pointless gesture. If I had the $$$ I could purchase a fully automatic AA12 military shotgun. Nevermind the fact that I don't need it and have no business owning it. The fact of the matter is that I could get one with relative ease. That's a problem that takes a very long time to solve.

Option B is the only realistic short term solution. Putting guns in the hands of public servants certainly isn't anything new. If you're a police officer, it's part of the job. You're nightmare scenario of the USA as a barb-wire riddled police state is already a reality. Truth of the matter is, a disarmed population is the more like to experience everything you've mentioned. That is precisely why the founding fathers passed the 2nd Amendment in the first place.

This law simply puts guns in the hands of additional public servants. Increasing gun regulation will take decades to have any positive impact. I think it's irresponsible to just sit and wait when we could do something more immediate to protect our children from further tragedy.

Old 12-26-2012, 10:22 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,600,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolehboleh View Post
If one or two school employees are properly trained (serious military/police style training), then they should do it.
Do you fly? Do you think airline pilots have serious military/police style training? I'm sure that many do, but certainly not all that are in the armed pilot program.

Old 12-26-2012, 10:22 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,003,124 times
Boy this one sure has the gun haters all wound out. I guess they just can't allow a state to come up with their own solution they need the big bro's at the fed to take all our guns and problem solved. These folks actually think one has to be a rocket scientist to train on the use of a weapon. Now they're mad one of their utipian dreams of stealing our guns and getting rid of the Constitution has a kink thrown in.

Funny how these same folks are all worried about money now when they support throwing billions into the trash can on a weekly basis.

Old 12-26-2012, 10:23 PM

26,653 posts, read 28,677,767 times
People who think the principal or teachers should carry guns have obviously never worked in a school. There are enough pressures in schools today and it's hard enough to TEACH with everything else that's going on and you can't really expect the educators to now have to worry about carrying guns.

Kids today are violent and they threaten the teachers -- it would be too tempting for a teacher to just snap when a kid says they're going to kill them. Kids do say that right in class. Teachers are subjected to that sort of thing all day long. You think they wouldn't just pull the gun out one of these days?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies