Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 01:17 PM

41,815 posts, read 50,926,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
This is likely the reason she is stepping down:
I had forgotten about that, I think you hit the nail on the head.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2012, 01:21 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,373,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
No, there is no freedom in doing that, even without the EPA.
If there is harm to person or property, the court system that was set up to have justice, while maintaining liberty, is right there to decide who did, what, when, why and how.

We should have the liberty and be free to do as we wish, as long as there is no harm to another's, person or property.
Preemptive laws, are restrictions on liberty and my individual freedom.
Remember the phrase, Don't Tread On Me!, It came about because individual freedom was going to be the goal.
We the people, not I the government........
The thing is that forces everyone to rely on tort law which in terms of dealing with polluters is highly ineffective because of issues like causation. If you study tort law it will quickly dispossess you of the notion that this argument is effective in the real world.

Old 12-27-2012, 01:22 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,930,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
You do realize that anthracite is about 1% of coal. If they were just burning anthracite it would not be a problem. The problem is we burn a lot of applachian bituminous which is nothing like anthracite in terms of carbon content.

You do understand the difference between anthracite and bituminous and why restricting ourselves to burning anthracite coal would be a problem.

Yep, I know such, and I would attribute a good portion of that knowledge to the discussions of thecoalman who I know is far more educated and experienced in the topic than you are and he has and can prove it.

Since we do have him here, I think I will leave any details of the discussion concerning that topic to him as he does a fine job of educating those who "think" they know about the topic.

So good luck, better bring your "A" game.

Old 12-27-2012, 01:23 PM

4,099 posts, read 4,132,871 times
Quote:
And you accuse me of being brainwashed.

The fact is we have direct evidence all around us of what happens when pollution is unregulated or poorly regulated, either in our history or across the Pacific in China.

The fact is the only reason we and other modern countries have "moved past" the pollution stage is because of environment regulation. For example, Britain was the first to modernize and had horrible pollution problems all the way to the 1950s when a "fog" killed thousands of people in London. The US had bad pollution problems well into the 1970s. Government regulation is how you move past that stage and that only occurs when the people get so angry about dying by the tens of thousands that they demand it.
But don't you think it is a problem when everything is over regulated. Right now, we have the problem of over regulating. There are so many laws and regulations passed each and every single day, and I am sure there is a law or regulation for everything we do.

Using EPA, there are 17,000 employees with a 8.5 billion budget, that about 500k per employee. Do you really need that much money? What's their job? To create problems and add more regulations.

Old 12-27-2012, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Yep, I know such, and I would attribute a good portion of that knowledge to the discussions of thecoalman who I know is far more educated and experienced in the topic than you are and he has and can prove it.

Since we do have him here, I think I will leave any details of the discussion concerning that topic to him as he does a fine job of educating those who "think" they know about the topic.

So good luck, better bring your "A" game.
Then you should understand why we need the EPA. Basically when you burn bituminous and sub bituminous you are burning a lot more then just the carbon in the coal and you need regulations to make sure as little as possible of that other stuff gets into the air. Even "thecoalman" has admitted he doesn't want to go back to the 1970s.

Old 12-27-2012, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
This thread was basically one big exaggeration, according to the OP in a later post. So much wasted time and energy on a drivel. Getting the coalman and every other oil lover's blood pressure up, there should be rules and guidelines on City-Data for PWND threads.
Other than your inane ramblings and insults exactly what is it you personally have contributed in this thread of any substance and if it's waste why are you still posting in it?

Old 12-27-2012, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw30000 View Post
But don't you think it is a problem when everything is over regulated. Right now, we have the problem of over regulating. There are so many laws and regulations passed each and every single day, and I am sure there is a law or regulation for everything we do.

Using EPA, there are 17,000 employees with a 8.5 billion budget, that about 500k per employee. Do you really need that much money? What's their job? To create problems and add more regulations.
Mostly to clean up problems that were created before the EPA e.g. CERCLA. There are a lot of them. People used to do a lot of stupid stuff environmentally in the past and that is expensive to clean up. They also figure out what new problems are in the making and try to stop them from being problems.

Old 12-27-2012, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Yeah, but since, relatively speaking there is not much anthracite and we tend
There is plenty relative to the market, just not a very large market. Anthracite is expensive because it's not easy to mine and not suitable for power plants.

Old 12-27-2012, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
There is plenty relative to the market, just not a very large market. Anthracite is expensive because it's not easy to mine and not suitable for power plants.
And that pretty much sums up the problem. It has gotten much better with the rules about installing scrubbers, but coal fired powerplant in the midwest used to and still to an extent do wreak havoc upon the eastern mountains.

Old 12-27-2012, 01:35 PM

Well I could make the argument it would never meet any CO2 regulations as it's through the roof.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies