Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 02:46 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,711,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
You'd expect that the President would want input from those in the energy sector about energy policy or should they just wing it and let the dice fall where they may?
Seemed to be a constitutional right to petition government without being revealed to the press was Cheney's argument.

What's good for the goose is good for the gander.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2012, 02:47 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
from everything i heard she did a good job. sorry to lose her.

Old 12-28-2012, 02:59 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senno View Post
Seemed to be a constitutional right to petition government without being revealed to the press was Cheney's argument.

What's good for the goose is good for the gander.
How is this relevant to the EPA head using an external email account to do government business? There is a reason they don't allow what she did such as there is no control, no logs, breach of security and laundry list of other things.

The fact is this is not allowed, you can't do it.

Any comment on the superfund sites?

Old 12-28-2012, 03:31 PM

Quote:
How is this relevant to the EPA head using an external email account to do government business? There is a reason they don't allow what she did such as there is no control, no logs, breach of security and laundry list of other things.

The fact is this is not allowed, you can't do it.?
Will it chap your hide if Obama claims executive privilege like Bush tried to do to protect Cheney?

Quote:
Any comment on the superfund sites?

I will just quote you regarding the superfund sites.

Quote:
Most of those sites were created long before there was any substantial environmental law at any level. While on the topic these are federally owned superfund sites just in the Mid Atlantic region...

Thank goodness we know more now than we did in the '50's.

Thank goodness the EPA is policing those federally created superfund sites now.

Last edited by Senno; 12-28-2012 at 03:42 PM..

Old 12-28-2012, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Will it chap your hide if Obama claims executive privilege like Bush tried to protect Cheney?.
Or like when Obama did it with the gunwalking scandal? I guess if you're an Obama supporter who fell for the "Change" mantra you should be the one withe the chapped hide?

Having said that I'd welcome him claiming executive privilege over an EPA scandal. LOL There was some plausibility for him doing it with the gunwalking scandal but the EPA?

Why should the EPA have to hide anything?

Quote:
Thank goodness the EPA is policing those federally created superfund sites now.
But your original argument was that the states couldn't do it and needed the feds yet the feds are by far the largest polluter to begin with.

Old 12-28-2012, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Or like when Obama did it with the gunwalking scandal? I guess if you're an Obama supporter who fell for the "Change" mantra you should be the one withe the chapped hide?

Having said that I'd welcome him claiming executive privilege over an EPA scandal. LOL There was some plausibility for him doing it with the gunwalking scandal but the EPA?

Why should the EPA have to hide anything?
I think her resigning is enough as a practical resolution to the matter.

Engage in costly litigation if you want to.

What did Cheney have to hide?

[/quote]But your original argument was that the states couldn't do it and needed the feds yet the feds are by far the largest polluter to begin with.[quote]

Yeah, better bring in the UN.

My argument is that listening to industry science partially led us to the point that we had to create the EPA to deal with these sites. Ignoring the environmental damage occuring also is partly to blame. That, along with the feds helping to creat the mess didn't help anything.

Waiting for the states to act (those that would act) didn't help.

I'm a n.i.m.b.y. in this regard, and want someone to stop the creation of new love canals thanks. If it has to be the Feds, so be it.

We had to send in the Feds to enforce civil rights legislation due to racism, I'm happy enough to do it with the EPA as well.

If you don't like the EPA, take that up with Nixon, he signed it into law.

Old 12-28-2012, 06:31 PM

Quote:
I think her resigning is enough as a practical resolution to the matter..
I don't think so at all, what kind of attitude is that? Government officials need to be accountable for their actions. Realistically there is only one reason for this account and that is so she could cloak her communications.

Quote:
If you don't like the EPA, take that up with Nixon, he signed it into law
I'm of the opinion we need an EPA, having said that based on many of their recent actions they need to be reined in.

Old 12-28-2012, 06:50 PM

Quote:
I don't think so at all, what kind of attitude is that? Government officials need to be accountable for their actions. Realistically there is only one reason for this account and that is so she could cloak her communications.

I'm of the opinion we need an EPA, having said that based on many of their recent actions they need to be reined in.
Great. Just spin it so you can think you have taken the head of the current administrator through her announced resignation. The EPA exists and it's administrator has resigned to be replaced by a new appointee.

Glad we could settle that.

Old 12-28-2012, 08:35 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
I think there is a place for a agncy to protect the environment but like so many things now days its too much about poltics than actaul senseable regulations.I think a perfect example was when they dropped the 60's consideration for gates to protect the canals whose leveies broken in new orlean in Katrina because environmentalist objected saying it endagered a minnow species.Ended up endangering a different species.

Old 12-28-2012, 08:53 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,388,406 times
Quote:
But a lot of those states are the beneficiaries of that electric production that caused that pollution especially in New England. The state of NJ was suing PA before Christy came into office over PA pollution. My answer was give them their wish, shut the plants down and pull the plug.
Meh. Pulling the plug wouldn't really matter if the NRC let us finish and operate several of the atomic plants that were put on hold in the 1980s. Shearon Harris alone if it went to capacity could power a good chunk of NC and take millions of tons of carbon, and tens of thousands of tons of sulfur out of the air annually. With some of the smaller states you would only need a few reactors to provide all the electricity you could ever want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies