Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 02:42 AM

3,598 posts, read 4,948,253 times

Advertisements

Dale pins the execution of 3 presidents on their quest for hard money... that's a big stretch. Otherwise it was a decent video, but not all that helpful in providing details of what exactly will fix the situation. It's far more complicated than just "stop spending too much."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2012, 03:25 AM

3,448 posts, read 3,132,073 times
edited

Last edited by stargazzer; 12-29-2012 at 03:49 AM..

Old 12-29-2012, 05:15 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,533,269 times
Thanks for posting this.

I just moved 10% of my holdings into gold....I think I'll up that....

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 12-29-2012 at 05:26 AM..

Old 12-29-2012, 05:41 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,533,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logline View Post
Dale pins the execution of 3 presidents on their quest for hard money... that's a big stretch. Otherwise it was a decent video, but not all that helpful in providing details of what exactly will fix the situation. It's far more complicated than just "stop spending too much."
Yes, we need to enter the global economy and quit picking our noses. Either we join the global economy or we will do gown hard.

As a teacher, I can tell you all this touchy-feeling-self esteem building is NOT preparing our kids to compete. Yet, I'm stuck with it. I can't change it. Parents and politicians want it. So great, our kids feel great about themselves but can't compete. What did we just accomplish for them?

I answered the call to bring subject matter expertise into teaching only to find open hostility for that expertise because if I try to hold kids to a higher standard I'm demanding they work for their grades when they and their parents are used to grades being handed to them. I'm the enemy. We've even dummied down college to accomodate kids who feel great about themselves but can't compete. (and don't get me started on the government's "accountabilty" tactics that have us teachers focusing all of our effort on the lowest kids in our classes).

We are no longer a manufacturing center. We users of goods. Our kids are growing up feeling cocky because they can USE computers and iphones but who is making those computers and iphones? If we don't have products or services to offer the rest of the world, we are sunk.

There are some things we can do now to help ourselves but they're going to be painful. The first one is start buying American. If it's not made here, don't buy it. Quit sending our dollars abroad. If we refuse to buy what isn't made here, companies will have to start manufacturing here to sell here. Of course, you'll pay more for goods because US workers will not work for Chinese wages but we will create jobs here and slow the hemorrhaging. If we can create jobs here, just MAYBE we can start exporting goods. At the very least, keep what you have until it can no longer be repaired. At least then you'll keep a US worker employed doing those repairs.

Hang on to that old car and support a mechanic....instead of buying a new pair of UGH or Minnetonka boots (both made in china), resole the ones you have...instead of buying new, shop garage sales.....

Second, prepare your kids to take careers that will allow them to barter their services for the things they need. Dd#1 wants to be a veternarian and dd#2 a pediatrician so they're in good shape. They'll be able to trade their services for goods even if the dollar becomes worthless.

Third, (probably first) we need to protect farmers. Food is our one solid export.

Fourth, it's time to consider our shale oil deposits as the asset they are. If we can figure out how to extract shale oil and protect the environment, we can break our dependence on foriegn oil and possibly become an oil exporting nation (though I'd rather see us stock pile to protect ourselves).

Like a family that has figured out it can't maintain it's standard of living, we have to do a lot of things that will hurt and that we won't like but we need to do them or the end result will be far more painful.

Old 12-29-2012, 05:48 AM

1,169 posts, read 1,519,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logline View Post
It's really not a big stretch if you look back to why the revolution started and go from there. Thanks for for the comment!

Old 12-29-2012, 06:31 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,469,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGTAIV View Post
It's really not a big stretch if you look back to why the revolution started and go from there. Thanks for for the comment!
It`s more than a big stretch,it`s rediculous. Dale has a good grasp of economics but an extremely tenuous grasp of history.

Old 12-29-2012, 10:16 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,880,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
It`s more than a big stretch,it`s rediculous. Dale has a good grasp of economics but an extremely tenuous grasp of history.
I still don't understand his correlation, but there is no doubt his synopsis of why we are broke and how we got here, is fairly accurate.

Old 12-29-2012, 12:51 PM

26,488 posts, read 15,066,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some_Random_Guy View Post

It was a nice, unbiased piece put together on a local level (which was refreshing to see), and I cannot refute a single thing that was mentioned.
I would argue that there was not a surplus at anytime in the 1990s.

Every single "fiscal year" (the gov. does its budget from Oct. 1st to Sept. 30th) have seen the national debt increase since 1957.

Although they mentioned the national debt increased under Clinton by about 1.6 Trillion, I think it is important to note that you can't have a true surplus if the national debt is increasing. The Clinton/Gingrich surplus took money from over half a dozen government funds like Social Security, the Civil Service Trust, Military Pension and etc...to create an illusion of surplus.

Here is an official Treasury website of the debt - it increases every single fiscal year since 1957 (Eisenhower).

Government - Historical Debt Outstanding – Annual

Old 12-29-2012, 12:54 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,880,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
I would argue that there was not a surplus at anytime in the 1990s.

Every single "fiscal year" (the gov. does its budget from Oct. 1st to Sept. 30th) have seen the national debt increase since 1957.

Although they mentioned the national debt increased under Clinton by about 1.6 Trillion, I think it is important to note that you can't have a true surplus if the national debt is increasing. The Clinton/Gingrich surplus took money from over half a dozen government funds like Social Security, the Civil Service Trust, Military Pension and etc...to create an illusion of surplus.

Here is an official Treasury website of the debt - it increases every single fiscal year since 1957 (Eisenhower).

Government - Historical Debt Outstanding – Annual
Well, that's kind of what he was trying to explain. I think we're all in agreement here on that one.

Old 01-07-2013, 08:13 PM

19,206 posts, read 16,689,350 times
That is a great video and should be seen by as many people as possible. It would help those who don't understand what's really going on in this country. Nice one, JamesGTAIV
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies