U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you vote for a Muslim President?
Yes 57 43.85%
No, never any Muslim 63 48.46%
Only if he/she is great(er) 10 7.69%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 01:52 AM

Location: Currently I physically reside on the 3rd planet from the sun
2,223 posts, read 1,530,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieApocExtraordinaire View Post
LOL, I have relatives all over the middle east including Afghanistan. Let me cut you a little secret, killing a female for losing her virginity or something is not allowed in Islam. After she's found guilty in a trial, she can only be sentenced to 1 year banishment and some flogging or something like that.

However, killing does happen. It's been going on long before Islam. The reason some families kill their daughter is rage. A daughter is MONEY in that part of the world, and no one is going to pay money for a non virgin.
I'm so sorry, you're saying Muslim families don't kill their women for besmirching the family honor by losing their virginity, they only hold a formal trial and then banish or beat them ( or something like that <- your words).

The ones who are actually killed by Muslims for losing their virginity is because it lowers their financial value. The MONEY the family can make off them. You are right! And here I thought Muslims treated their women like cattle or other property who could by tradition be murdered for family honor. According to you good Muslims only beat or abandon their women for honor, it's the bad ones who kill them and then it's only for money.

Yes, LOL, I am a funny man. How foolish of me to criticize these practices.

Old 12-31-2012, 02:07 AM

3,178 posts, read 1,609,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwm1964 View Post
I'm so sorry, you're saying Muslim families don't kill their women for besmirching the family honor by losing their virginity, they only hold a formal trial and then banish or beat them ( or something like that <- your words).

The ones who are actually killed by Muslims for losing their virginity is because it lowers their financial value. The MONEY the family can make off them. You are right! And here I thought Muslims treated their women like cattle or other property who could by tradition be murdered for family honor. According to you good Muslims only beat or abandon their women for honor, it's the bad ones who kill them and then it's only for money.

Yes, LOL, I am a funny man. How foolish of me to criticize these practices.
You need to read my post more carefully

Families don't commit honor killings as Muslims. That's a sin against Islam. Honor killings of both men and women existed in this region long before Islam. That's why Christians in this region do honor killings. Islam tried to modernize us by introducing such things as a trial and 'fair' punishments. But in many rural areas, like where I'm from, it didn't work.

In fact, we're downright pagan. We have animal/shamanistic symbols. My family symbol is the wolf and we worship the mountains.

The bottom line is: you don't know what you're talking about. But you watched Fox news once and now think you're a expert

Old 12-31-2012, 03:03 AM

266 posts, read 318,026 times
54% wouldnt choose a muslim no matter what? Jeez no wonder our country is so screwed up. Who cares what they believe in as long as they believe in making the country a better place I'm all for it. If someone came along that believed Barney was God but they had all the answers on how to fix the country I would vote for them.

Old 12-31-2012, 04:52 AM

12,842 posts, read 24,483,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Yes. A practicing Muslim is just as deluded as a practicing Christian, seeing that there is no such thing as God. So what's the difference?
Thank you. (I would say "amen," but...). I will not relax until an atheist can be elected. To me, one god believer is the same as the next- but as public servants or the highest office, I absolutely want to know that they believe in the separation of church and state.
I think Obama might be the first atheist president, at least in that he has mentioned "our friends without belief" or something like that when listing the diversity of belief in America. Just like people say Clinton was the first black president.

Old 12-31-2012, 04:54 AM

12,842 posts, read 24,483,936 times
The Founding Fathers were generic deists, not Christians, and made that quite clear.
After all, what's that stuff about graven images and all?

Old 12-31-2012, 04:59 AM

1,229 posts, read 947,966 times
Kennedy was a Catholic, if the person can check their religion at the oval office door than I don't give a rats rear end what they believe about some fantasy in the sky. You can believe in what ever you want. Just as Joe Biden said he did not believe in Abortion but its not his right to force a woman to abide by his religious belief. This is the line, you can believe in what ever you want and preach it all day Sunday, but you do not have the right to pass a law to force others to abide by your religious view. If you can't separate yourself between your personal religious belief and your public office where you have to be for everyones rights even those who you don't agree with, then you don't' belong in public office.

Old 12-31-2012, 05:38 AM

28,186 posts, read 43,469,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
yes, it's old and out of date.
And the Christian Bible (not to mention Torah) is not old & out of date? C'mon now... I'm Jewish, and even I had to LOL at this comment!

Old 12-31-2012, 06:53 AM

33,949 posts, read 32,392,016 times
No, or a Democrat, either.

Old 12-31-2012, 07:10 AM

3,368 posts, read 2,142,594 times
For me, I would gladly vote for a Muslim, just like I would a Christian or any other belief. They would have to meet my specific criteria:

Strong belief and track record in upholding the separation between Church and State.
Strong track record opposing aggressive policies. - no more Nation building on my dime, thank you!
Strong emphasis on upholding individual liberties and equal application of the law.

Essentially if a Muslim who was adamant about respecting the limits on government power written into the Constitution, and who had a strong Libertarian bent was running for office, I would strongly consider him or her. Why shouldn't I?

-NoCapo

Old 12-31-2012, 07:16 AM

3,744 posts, read 2,486,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Says the one who sees the world through blinders.
Hard to see through the smoke caused by our bombing of innocent people. You think most poorly.
Obviously you know nothing of the 800 year record of terror of Islam.

YOu fail to think, see or learn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies