Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 10:17 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,629,280 times

Advertisements

I would like to point out that it was the Boomer vote that put a Boomer, George W. Bush, into office. Way to pick those horses, Boomers...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2007, 11:11 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,915,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Simple, no matter what generation you were born into, you arrive today right here where you stand in the conditions before you. Some of us were born in times a plenty, while others, less so but all have to work with what you have. Wishing, blaming or externalizing the situation only waste your time and pisses everyone else off and chances are if they didn't care before, they will care even less now.

Does the previous generation give a damn about you... who cares. You should be most concerned with setting your own mark, living your own life and if you feel you have been slighted by a previous generation, then teach your children well and give unto them a better life than you were given. Step up to the plate and stop worrying so much about how you got here and start worrying more about where you will go from here, you can't change the past and it will only server to make one bitter to seek blame when you could be making change.
You're missing the point. I understand what you're saying and I fully agree with you, My argument is in response to attitudes by the previous generation. Look back at comments by many boomers, and their premis for action is telling everyone to just suck it up and make it happen.. and people are doing that.. but you can't sit and say.. "when i was your age.. rah rah rah" because the world is not the same world when they were our age.
That is my point.... so whatever shortcomings our generation is having in the baby boomer's eyes... is the product of their decisions and exploitations...
the argument is in defense... and looking at the national societal situation, not everyone's personal situation.. its the bigger picture I'm concerned with.

Old 10-17-2007, 11:24 PM

The Boomer Generation is the generation that made it common place to put their aging parents in "homes" as to not be a burden on them....They have become so successful that they can afford to PAY someone else to take care of them... and have in turn passed that on to us.. where MY generation finds it acceptable to PAY someone else to raise our kids (schools, nannies, daycare)
Considering the disfunction of many families my generation comes from. I wonder what kind of treatment is in store for all these boomers? What have we been taught to do?
I just hope that the prosperity continues so atleast the boomers get put in a home.. imagine if all they have to fall back on are children chained to a job and barely able to take care of themselves?
i guess there's a certain sense of justice.. in that what goes around eventually comes back around 10 fold....

Old 10-17-2007, 11:57 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,185,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
You're missing the point. I understand what you're saying and I fully agree with you, My argument is in response to attitudes by the previous generation. Look back at comments by many boomers, and their premis for action is telling everyone to just suck it up and make it happen.. and people are doing that.. but you can't sit and say.. "when i was your age.. rah rah rah" because the world is not the same world when they were our age.
That is my point.... so whatever shortcomings our generation is having in the baby boomer's eyes... is the product of their decisions and exploitations...
the argument is in defense... and looking at the national societal situation, not everyone's personal situation.. its the bigger picture I'm concerned with.
Here is the deal, your generation, my generation, babyboomer, Gen X, whatever the hell you want to call whatever generation, we all think we are a generation unto ourselves. To some degree we are right in the most simplistic of fashion but in the greater light, yes, suck it up, you are a human being subject to survival like every other human being before you and every one that will follow.

The world is not the same, you are right, and guess what, when your kids grow up you will be on the other side of the fence asking the same questions. What makes this generation so different than those Celtics who were subject to Roman rule during the early Middle Ages, what makes this generation so different that those generations previous and after should give consideration to the fairness of how your generation was dealt?

Do you think my life was candy and sugar canes? Do you think that the generation of my father and grandparents didn't tell me... quit your bitchin and start living my own damn life? Do you not think that I am not facing the same challenges that you are in the world we live in today?

I am not even telling you this in a condescending manner because you and I DO have to share the world and the future together, we ARE in the same boat. I don't like it either but I figure I have two choices, point a finger and say he did it, or work my ass off to make sure I am not the next guy living in a cardboard box on some Miami street corner.

I will bet you right here and now, in front of everyone that no matter how hard you might try, the next generation will be saying the exact same thing. bet ya a cyber cold mug of suds.

Old 10-18-2007, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Here is the deal, your generation, my generation, babyboomer, Gen X, whatever the hell you want to call whatever generation, we all think we are a generation unto ourselves. To some degree we are right in the most simplistic of fashion but in the greater light, yes, suck it up, you are a human being subject to survival like every other human being before you and every one that will follow.

The world is not the same, you are right, and guess what, when your kids grow up you will be on the other side of the fence asking the same questions. What makes this generation so different than those Celtics who were subject to Roman rule during the early Middle Ages, what makes this generation so different that those generations previous and after should give consideration to the fairness of how your generation was dealt?

Do you think my life was candy and sugar canes? Do you think that the generation of my father and grandparents didn't tell me... quit your bitchin and start living my own damn life? Do you not think that I am not facing the same challenges that you are in the world we live in today?

I am not even telling you this in a condescending manner because you and I DO have to share the world and the future together, we ARE in the same boat. I don't like it either but I figure I have two choices, point a finger and say he did it, or work my ass off to make sure I am not the next guy living in a cardboard box on some Miami street corner.

I will bet you right here and now, in front of everyone that no matter how hard you might try, the next generation will be saying the exact same thing. bet ya a cyber cold mug of suds.
you are exactly right... I am not saying in ANY way that pointing a finger and refraining from suckin it up and working hard for what you want.... I'm not even talking about YOU OR MY personal situations.. you're right we all are faced with basic human survival in this world.... and NOT every generation points fingers at the one before it. In fact.. the generation before boomers.. WE ALL owe a bit of gratitude toward... Personal struggles and situations aside.. and analyzing what has been and what could have been had the previous generation had more insight in caring about the following generation. That is the topic of this thread, and there IS an argument that the boomer generation was the first in recent Industrialized history, to have the most disregard for the previous generation, and the following one by the social and business practices they allowed to foster while the steering wheel of power was in their hands.. the generation BEFORE boomers blatantly cared about the following generation, that was what their generation embodied..
X'ers are not pointing fingers to bring condemnation, or for an excuse, but rather seeing the errors that have been made and trying to figure out how to fix all of them when the steering wheel of power is passed on to us... so that the boomers choices don't become our consequences... so your argument that EVERY generation has a finger to point at the one before it is not always true.. I don't believe that.. there are exceptions to the rule.. but considering the direction america is going... one has to question the accountability of those who decided on the direction...

Old 10-18-2007, 04:02 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,001,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
The Boomer Generation is the generation that made it common place to put their aging parents in "homes" as to not be a burden on them....They have become so successful that they can afford to PAY someone else to take care of them... and have in turn passed that on to us.. where MY generation finds it acceptable to PAY someone else to raise our kids (schools, nannies, daycare)
Considering the disfunction of many families my generation comes from. I wonder what kind of treatment is in store for all these boomers? What have we been taught to do?
I just hope that the prosperity continues so atleast the boomers get put in a home.. imagine if all they have to fall back on are children chained to a job and barely able to take care of themselves?
i guess there's a certain sense of justice.. in that what goes around eventually comes back around 10 fold....
Do you have any sort of statistics for this (bolded) declaration? Just curious.

As for all the dysfunction, I think it's just out in the open now.

There has been plenty of family dysfunction for centuries, including the time of the sacred greatest generation, the one faced with a World War.
It's just that the dysfunction was repressed, covered up, smoothed over.

Payback's always a b*tch--has been for thousands of years.
The sins of the fathers...

Old 10-18-2007, 04:28 AM

[quote=cil;1762549]Do you have any sort of statistics for this (bolded) declaration? Just curious.QUOTE]

well on the census numbers in the journals of health, they state that populations of elderly in nursing homes rose consistently from the 1970's up until 2002.. it wasn't until then that populations have gone down... perhaps due to the passing of a generation that filled them.. namely the wwii generation? just a guess.. they didn't elude to any reasoning on the publication I remember seeing.. perhaps I'll look it up though..

Old 10-18-2007, 05:40 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,001,745 times
[quote=boiseguy;1762593]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
Do you have any sort of statistics for this (bolded) declaration? Just curious.QUOTE]

well on the census numbers in the journals of health, they state that populations of elderly in nursing homes rose consistently from the 1970's up until 2002.. it wasn't until then that populations have gone down... perhaps due to the passing of a generation that filled them.. namely the wwii generation? just a guess.. they didn't elude to any reasoning on the publication I remember seeing.. perhaps I'll look it up though..
Well the reason I ask is that in the 70's, many Boomers were just kids themselves, including me, and in the 80's, most of us, in our 20's and 30's, were not yet faced with such decisions as whether to put our parents in nursing homes. However, I admit I really don't know much about it, and my parents both died long before that ever became a concern for me.

Old 10-18-2007, 07:53 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,988,227 times
saganista wrote:
Well, here's a couple of guys you could blame but never do...Ronald Reagan and George W Bush. And who was it foisted those two miserable failures off on the rest of us again? Oh yeah, the right did that, didn't they.
I'm certainly not a fan of Reagan and Bush or any of the right wing wackos, but blaming them for the mess we're in makes us ( we the people ) even more powerless. The truth is, we went to sleep, played keeping up with the Joneses, and ALLOWED them to do run the country amok. Let's us not forget that Bill Clinton really didn't do too much better.

Regarding the generations succeeding the boomer generation, it will be interesting to see if the CEOs and politicians of the next generation run the country any differently. I suspect it will be more of the same. Pass legislation to make the rich richer and get rid of the middle class. I'm having difficulty imagining that a CEO of any generation will take a major pay cut and give that money to the rank and file employess. I can't imagine a politician of any generation not caving in to the big money interests that bought their election. Hopefully I'm totally wrong about this and it's just my lack of hopeful imagination.

blessings...Franco

Old 10-18-2007, 08:13 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,988,227 times
tablemtn wrote:
I would like to point out that it was the Boomer vote that put a Boomer, George W. Bush, into office. Way to pick those horses, Boomers...
We DIDN'T pick him. We picked Gore. The Supreme Court APPOINTED Bush. Some of those justices weren't even boomers.

blessings...Franco
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies