Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2013, 07:57 AM

1,291 posts, read 2,895,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I own my share, and oppose bans. My quest here is to figure out why people feel so strongly about registering their guns, because to me it would be no big deal if I still get to keep my guns and buy more.

IF the government knows you have them it makes them easier to confiscate.

It's a slippery slope that we don't want to start down. Plus it's none of their damn
business as much as anything. F' big brother, some of us don't need our noses wiped
for us.

Old 01-01-2013, 08:02 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inoxkeeper View Post
IF the government knows you have them it makes them easier to confiscate.

It's a slippery slope that we don't want to start down. Plus it's none of their damn
business as much as anything. F' big brother, some of us don't need our noses wiped
for us.
I don't see anything easier than them simply informing the nation that all firearms need to be turned in. Trust me, if they want our guns, they don't need a registry to grab them.

Old 01-01-2013, 08:04 AM

266 posts, read 402,471 times
What is the point in registering guns in the first place?

Old 01-01-2013, 08:09 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,626,323 times
Quote:
I own my share, and oppose bans. My quest here is to figure out why people feel so strongly about registering their guns, because to me it would be no big deal if I still get to keep my guns and buy more.
I flatly oppose registration of firearms because it accomplishes nothing, creates more expensive beauracracy, and gives the government another "in" to my life. There is absolutely no reason the government needs to have anyones firearms on file. Look at what just happened in NYC. There is no doubt that power like that WILL be abused.
No thanks. I prefer to keep my firearms secured in my home and keep the types of weapons I own and what my "need" for them a private matter.
It won't stop at registration. After obtaining information on types of eeapons in private hands, next step will be having to store them in a government monitored "armory" , with control over use and "need"for access to them in the hands of some simpering government official. Again...no thanks.

Old 01-01-2013, 08:22 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,274,484 times
Quote:
There are many proposals, and some pass and some don't. Just because one law did not pass, doesn't mean that others have not. You also need to remember the the Swizz joined the Schengen treaty which requires a that info about all gun sales is sent to the government. If you want to call that something other than registration, then we are just playing word games.

Guns in Switzerland: Facts, Figures and Firearm Law

CompareCivilian Gun Registration
In Switzerland, the law requires that a record of the acquisition, possession and transfer of each privately held firearm be retained in an official register

CompareGun Dealer Record Keeping
In Switzerland, licensed firearm dealers are required59 46 58 to keep a record of each firearm or ammunition purchase, sale or transfer on behalf of a regulating authority

CompareGun Manufacturer Record Keeping
In Switzerland, licensed gun makers are required58 to keep a record of each firearm produced, for inspection by a regulating authority

CompareState-Owned Firearm Records
In Switzerland, State agencies are required59 47 to maintain records of the storage and movement of all firearms and ammunition under their control
Did you read the link? Apparently not.

I'll save you the effort and just post the content in here because you apparently want to believe what you want. Schengen agreement came into effect in 2008 and eliminates border checks, and requires they supply certain consistent processes, however the implementation is up to the actual country as long as they supply the information they can do it however they want. You might want to not rely so heavily on the Swiss Entry for Gun laws on Wikipedia.

Quote:
People’s vote on direct initiative “Protection against weapons violence”:

NON! / NEIN! / NO!

It is with great satisfaction that proTELL Switzerland takes notice of the result of the vote and thanks the voting women and men of the country for their sovereign decision that is so essential for our country at this time. After the legal changes made as a result of the Schengen Agreement, our weapons laws are sufficiently strict. What counts is that they be applied to prevent the abuse of weapons and not to restrict the rights of honest citizens.

Through their decision, the Swiss People have once again demonstrated their confidence not only in the citizen-soldiers of the Swiss Army, but also in the responsible men and women shooters, hunters, and collectors in our country. proTELL shall continue to employ all of the methods at its disposition in order to
preserve weapons freedoms and to ensure against the abusive use of weapons.

BACKGROUND: The subject of the vote was a popular initiative that sought to introduce an article directly into the Federal Constitution that would have required individuals to prove that they had a valid reason and the ability to use a firearm before even acquiring one. It also would have created a national firearms database, require the federal government to assist local authorities in weapons turnin programs, require reserve militia soldiers to store their military rifle or pistol at the arsenal when not on duty or in military training, and prevented soldiers from keeping their military weapon after retirement as is now the custom.
The text of the initiative would also have banned certain “dangerous” weapons such as fully-automatic firearms (already banned for civilian use) and pump-action rifles. Oddly, the text of the initiative did not appear explicitly to ban 12-gauge or similar shotgun cartridge calibers, so double-barrel and semiautomatic shotguns would still have been available according to that text. It is difficult to understand exactly what the drafters of the initiative really understood about firearms.

For your information, you may find the French text of the failed initiative on the website of the committee that sponsored this failed initiative: http://www.protection-armes.ch/initiativtext.html. The link to the “deutsch” (German) text of the failed initiative appears broken on that site as of today, but is available at proTELL: http://www.protell.ch/cms/images/sto...xt_0901224.pdf

proTELL Switzerland is a nonpartisan organization that represents the interests of weapons owners in
Switzerland and encourages the responsible ownership and use of weapons.
Ok so what's confusing, there is no National Registry, the 2011 referendum came later than 2008 it was not passed by the people or the Cantons. Why would they hold a referendum if they already had a national registry? Would they hold an referendum for registration annually? No that's absurd. Most European countries actual prohibit action on policies for at least an election cycle after being rejected at referendum. For example suppose there was a national referendum in the US about a registration database, that resulted in a rejection of it by popular vote, do you believe that Congress would vote on a registration database within the next election cycle in direct opposition to the referendum, and implement it? They might, but they also in the very best case might be looking for jobs after the next election, for going against explicit evidence that the electorate rejected the proposals.

Here's a US Citizen now Swiss resident view of firearm regs from Basel...

Quote:
For private citizens, anyone over the age of 18 without any past criminal or mental health issues can request and get a gun acquisition permit, which entitles them to own up to 3 firearms. This includes foreign nationals (like myself) with valid residence permits. This does not include hunting rifles. Hunting rifles don't require any special permit, but can be included under special circumstances.

For those who are or were a part of the Swiss military, when conscription occurs at 18 years of age (for men), they are issued a rifle and pistol. At the end of two years, their mandatory conscription is ended, but they are required by law to keep their weapons in their homes and in working order until 35 years of age. They must additionally re qualify with them annually during this period.

To carry a weapon outside of transporting it from point A to point B, you need a gun carry permit. These are usually restricted to either military or people in private security.
So better than the US in some ways, worse than the US in others particularly carry. Notice no mention of ammunition difficulties, the person in question is a US Citizen, if he was having issues, he'd likely mention that fact don't you think? Oh and there's no national registry, it's like I said before and above it was defeated in a national referendum.

Old 01-01-2013, 08:33 AM

1,229 posts, read 1,147,530 times
If they do ban semi autos and make them like NFA firearms or close you who hide them will in affect not be able to shoot them. Unless you live on a large piece of land or in an area that is very very rural your not gong to be able to shoot them an most gun ranges. Most I have been to ask to see your NFA papers to use them at the range. Unless you want to put them in the attic for end of the world crap. LOL

Old 01-01-2013, 08:39 AM

37,170 posts, read 19,194,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
I am law abiding now, although I wont be after a passing of such a law. neither would millions of others.
Then enjoy your guns in private. You certainy won't be able to use them openly, and they will be off the street, along with you, the newly-minted criminal.

Problem solved.

Old 01-01-2013, 09:05 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,626,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Then enjoy your guns in private. You certainy won't be able to use them openly, and they will be off the street, along with you, the newly-minted criminal.

Problem solved.
This gets me thinking. How and who is going to enforce registration requirements and what are the penalties for non compliance? They tried this in CA. Not very many actually complied. CA did an outright ban and required that all so called "do assault weapons" be turned in. If they tried to force the issue they would be seriously short on prison space and courts. Trying this type of thing, albeit"merely" registration, on a federal level? Yea...a serious cluster fornication would ensue.
Of course, Feinstein and her ilk do slobber over the creation of new beauracracy and funneling money off the public to fund it. Lmao.....yea, just what we need to be doing. Tbrowing money into creating yet another federal agency tasked with registration of firearms. It would probably have some type of benificant title like...oh...The Dept. Of Public Weapons Management or The Bureau of Public Firearms Safety. Rest assured a whole new agency would need to be created. More czars would be appointed, and funding for it all would have to come from new excise taxes on firearms. Oh...and we who already own weapons would need to chip in a fat little fee as well. It would be like an outbreak of E Bola.

Old 01-01-2013, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Did you read the link? Apparently not.

I'll save you the effort and just post the content in here because you apparently want to believe what you want. Schengen agreement came into effect in 2008 and eliminates border checks, and requires they supply certain consistent processes, however the implementation is up to the actual country as long as they supply the information they can do it however they want. You might want to not rely so heavily on the Swiss Entry for Gun laws on Wikipedia.
LOL. If you think my link (Gun Policy Facts and News) was Wikipedia, then it is not me who is not reading links.

Old 01-01-2013, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itlltickleurinnerds View Post
If they do ban semi autos and make them like NFA firearms or close you who hide them will in affect not be able to shoot them. Unless you live on a large piece of land or in an area that is very very rural your not gong to be able to shoot them an most gun ranges. Most I have been to ask to see your NFA papers to use them at the range. Unless you want to put them in the attic for end of the world crap. LOL
The discussion is about reguistering them, not taking them away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies