Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 04:11 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
Again. I was referring to one HR person I worked with on one issue that had nothing to do with safety. Or the FAA. Or the airlines. Or the EEOC.

And you're right. Without the FAA, airlines would engage in unsafe practices. That way their customers will die and they will go out of business.

By the way, airplane accidents happen with the FAA in place.
LOL...you really think that the airlines won't cut corners, even at the cost of passenger safety, in order to maximize profits?

You can't be serious? Life isn't lived inside of an Ayn Rand novel. Some humans and business owners are actually evil and greedy.

Yea...can you believe it?

C'mon man, get real.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senno View Post
Hopefully the FAA fines them and corrective actions are taken, before people actually die.

FAA fines Alaska and Horizon for aircraft maintenance violations - Travel on NBCNews.com

Not true in all cases.

Accidents do happen, but blindly trusting corporations to keep ya safe, no thanks.
Unreal, right? Regardless of how bad the corporate behavior in this country has been over the years, we still have working people telling us to give the corporations more leeway, and they'll always do the right thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Ok, you are the dictator of the land and YOU have the power to decide "what is fair".

What's fair? $10, $20. $50 or $100/hr what is fair? How do you go about making a decision what is fair?

I will tell you what is fair, fair is what someone decides what they are offering is fair.
First of all, i didn't say a damn thing about being fair in regards to pay, so don't be a dope.

What's fair is paying people when they're actually working on the clock. What you pay them is your business, but since when is expecting people to work without being on the clock the norm?

Turn off Limbaugh and join the real world with the rest of us.

Old 12-30-2012, 04:15 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post

What's fair is paying people when they're actually working on the clock.
I agree flight attendents should be paid the minute they board the plane, as travelers requests will start immediately.

Old 12-30-2012, 04:21 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times
Quote:
BTW...why are so many of you so quick to disbelieve the worker, and believe the employers and corporations? What's that all about? None of you are members of the executive class.
I'm not interested in judging the truthfulness of eithe rof those parties, though I would like to see some verifiable information which I can check out. Did you do the spade work, rather then simply assume that what you read was true? I would hope that you be at least somewhat skeptical, if only to be a good critical thinker.

Anyway, you asked why Americans tolerate such treatment. My answer, which you summarily dismissed, was that the flight attendants shouldn't tolerate it if what is claimed is true.

They should leave and be employed where they feel more appreciated.

Old 12-30-2012, 04:34 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
With regulation, flights cost several times as much before adjusting for COL 30 years ago.

I just flew from Nashville to Hartford for $101; Southwets got under $80 for that.

OP, One needs to be on another planet not to connect those 2 things. But Americans would revold if that flight cost, at minimum, $1,000, and that is what it would cost using rules from thre regulation days.

NY-LA 2012 with regs: $3,000

NY-Hawaii $6,000
I used to fly R/T Chicago/NYweekly during the 80's-mid 90's. Coach seat ran a tad more more than $800.

Today, despite inflation, higher taxes and fuel, I can make the same trip for about $300. A seat on a plane is a commodity and is sold for as much as the market will bear.

When Government protected prices and routes, the airline were highly profitable. Deregulation, over time, allowed new airlines to compete for business. The new ailines were not saddled with legacy labor contracts. The rest is history.

Old 12-30-2012, 04:37 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post

I agree flight attendents should be paid the minute they board the plane, as travelers requests will start immediately.
No worries. They are if they work for a major carrier. They will not however, earn the same rate/points as they do when they are in the air.

Old 12-30-2012, 04:47 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
I'm not interested in judging the truthfulness of eithe rof those parties, though I would like to see some verifiable information which I can check out. Did you do the spade work, rather then simply assume that what you read was true? I would hope that you be at least somewhat skeptical, if only to be a good critical thinker.

Anyway, you asked why Americans tolerate such treatment. My answer, which you summarily dismissed, was that the flight attendants shouldn't tolerate it if what is claimed is true.

They should leave and be employed where they feel more appreciated.
I made it quite clear from my very first post that i'm withholding some judgement although i also made it clear that i believe the story. Another poster basically said that my assertions were a complete lie, and i invited him to please post all evidence in contravention of the link i posted. He didn't do it.

I didn't summarily dismiss it your comment, but if they're tolerating what they shouldn't be tolerating, there must be a good reason for it. Most normal people don't sign up for intentional abuse. You seem to have more contempt for the attendants than you do the airlines just because they're putting up with the abuse.

We should ALL leave our jobs and go where we're more appreciated. Geez, i mean you're not opening up a whole new world with that comment. The reason why we don't is because it's not that simple and you know it. Life is more complicated than that, and you know that too.

Anyway...it's all good.

Old 12-30-2012, 04:48 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,533,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
I too would like to see some more substantial information rather than the entirely unverifiable story that the OP presents as "fact".
The fact is I guess you missed the part when he said "if this is true".

Old 12-30-2012, 04:58 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
The fact is I guess you missed the part when he said "if this is true".
The fact is that if I was posting the story, I would have ascertained whether or not it was true before posting it in a thread titled "Why do we as Americans tolerate such treatment from employers".

Not doing so is begging the question, don't you think?

Besides, even when I did take the story at face value, for the sake of argument, I was called a "G-D right winger".

Quote:
Goddamn right wingers, i swear.
I am darned if I do and darned if I don't?

How convenient.

Old 12-30-2012, 04:58 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,715,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I used to fly R/T Chicago/NYweekly during the 80's-mid 90's. Coach seat ran a tad more more than $800.

Today, despite inflation, higher taxes and fuel, I can make the same trip for about $300. A seat on a plane is a commodity and is sold for as much as the market will bear.

When Government protected prices and routes, the airline were highly profitable. Deregulation, over time, allowed new airlines to compete for business. The new ailines were not saddled with legacy labor contracts. The rest is history.
Now trying to get todays conservative to understand that todays airline market exists as a result of deregulation is another matter.

Old 12-30-2012, 05:01 PM

3,740 posts, read 3,071,184 times
Quote:
I was reading a piece on HuffPo that appeared to be a halfass joke, and the piece was sprinkled with some levity. The headline read: 17 Things Your Flight Attendant Won't Tell You.

Then it began to enumerate these 17 points. Pretty funny stuff until i read these two paragraphs:

If this is true, this is sad as hell. When did this country get this way?

We're to the point where some people are not only expected to work for free, but they're reduced to pulling off a horrible scheme just to make enough money to get by. SMH...i was absolutely furious when i read this piece.

People keep saying that we don't need unions, and if these attendants belong to unions, i sure as hell don't know what they're paying dues for. But if they aren't in a union, they damn sure need to form one.

But for all of you that say that if big business is left alone and we don't regulate them in any way, they'll do the right thing, this is obviously not the case.
YOu're quoting HuffPo?????? That's no better than just "making it up".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies