Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 12:04 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Yes it was the law back then.....over 300 years ago Do you not think we have evolved since then. What happened then has nothing to do with us now. Its out of date.

if our Constitution is so out of date, why not move someplace where they dont have one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2013, 06:18 AM

37,200 posts, read 19,200,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Reasonable? If you are reasonable you would know that any law that only regulate law abiding citizens is a bad idea.
You have already proven yourself intractable and incapable of adding to any type of discussion. That "My-way-or-the-highway" attitude is what lost the election for the republicans, and it will lose this battle as well.
I am not the heavy, here. I have been a gun owner since I was six years old, 55 years. I have been a gunsmith, a hunter, and an avid shooter for years. I am telling you that there is already a discussion going on that is not on this board, and people who cannot participate except by drooling and breathing through their mouths like Wayne LaPierre will simply be ignored.

Compromise does not mean losing. It means everybody wins something. Nobody is regulating citizens. What is being regulated is machinery that people want to own. I personally don't care what sort of weapons any law-abiding citizen owns, but I am concerned about how those weapons may pass into hands that might want to use them to do harm to others. If you don't understand the topic you will never be able to participate in the discussion. Good luck.

Old 01-01-2013, 06:22 AM

37,200 posts, read 19,200,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
really?
guess what? the brown bess firearm was the military assault rifle of its time, as all armies that shot firearms had them for the most part. that being said, people having civilian military lookalike firearms do not even have what the military has. we just have look alikes.

remember this, if you think this amendment is archaic, then try expressing your 1st Amendment with only a manually ran printing press and a quill pen. all others were not envisioned by our founding fathers either, and could not foresee its citizens needing those.
If you will recall, you have freedom of speech, but it is against the law to yell "Fire" in a crowded theater if it isn't burning, and laws concerning libel and slander and words that can't be said on TV and radio have evolved as well which regulate that right.

2A is no different.

Old 01-01-2013, 09:12 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
I never said to ban the 2nd amendment. I said we do need to regulate guns
Guns are already heavily regulated. There are about 20,000 gun laws on the book.

On the other hand, why create laws only law abiding citizens would follow? We should regulate criminals not law abiding citizens. When you regulate law abiding citizens it's called "infringement of our rights."

Old 01-01-2013, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post

Compromise does not mean losing. It means everybody wins something. Nobody is regulating citizens. What is being regulated is machinery that people want to own. I personally don't care what sort of weapons any law-abiding citizen owns, but I am concerned about how those weapons may pass into hands that might want to use them to do harm to others. If you don't understand the topic you will never be able to participate in the discussion. Good luck.
If that's the case, you should come up with ideas that control criminals NOT law abiding citizens.

Look at the bill proposed. How does any of them help in any way but infringe our right?

Old 01-01-2013, 07:28 PM

Quote:
If you will recall, you have freedom of speech, but it is against the law to yell "Fire" in a crowded theater if it isn't burning, and laws concerning libel and slander and words that can't be said on TV and radio have evolved as well which regulate that right.

2A is no different.

you can yell fire all you want in a theater, you might not like the results if you do.
we already have enough laws and I think way too many against firearms. making more law against firearms will do nothing but make more feelgood laws.

Old 01-01-2013, 07:35 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
I keep telling myself that I'm going to stop posting corrections in the firearms threads, but every so often I get a message from one or another of the fellow posters telling me that I helped them understand something. As long as that continues, I guess I'll keep posting. I'd rather combat ignorance than let it thrive
I am having a bad time with this type of thread anymore too. Some posters are telling lies on purpose and nothing we can do as posters can be done to stop the lies.

The most recent being the Govt form 4473 is a gun registration, which it most certainly is not.

The 4473 form is just to get enough ID for a dealers records and NICS gets no make model or serial number off that form.

The gist of the lie is 'So what if guns are registered?' which is a huge lie to tell anyone be they gun owners or gun grabbers.

I am at my whits end and may leave CD over lies like that.

I really get disagreeable when lies are told over and over to get other peoples ideas to be formed from nothing more than propaganda.

So I think I know a little bit about how you feel.

Your very post is an encouragement to me.... Thank you.

Old 01-01-2013, 07:41 PM

Quote:

2A is no different.
Of course you can yell "fire", but you may suffer the consequence.

There's a huge fundamental difference between "you can't yell fire" and "you will be punished if you do."

We shouldn't be punished for owning and using firearm legally.

You guys are proposing laws that would be owning and legally using firearm illegal.

That's called infringement.

Old 01-01-2013, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
I am having a bad time with this type of thread anymore too. Some posters are telling lies on purpose and nothing we can do as posters can be done to stop the lies.

The most recent being the Govt form 4473 is a gun registration, which it most certainly is not.

The 4473 form is just to get enough ID for a dealers records and NICS gets no make model or serial number off that form.

The gist of the lie is 'So what if guns are registered?' which is a huge lie to tell anyone be they gun owners or gun grabbers.

I am at my whits end and may leave CD over lies like that.

I really get disagreeable when lies are told over and over to get other peoples ideas to be formed from nothing more than propaganda.

So I think I know a little bit about how you feel.

Your very post is an encouragement to me.... Thank you.

unless people actually buy a firearm from a FFL, alot of people will not even know what a 4473 is. some of my firearms have 1 attached to them, but most do not.
the 4473 is not a defacto registration form, no matter what people think. they go with the original buyer of the firearm and does not follow it around whenever the owner sells it to someone else.

Old 01-01-2013, 07:48 PM

57,288 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Of course you can yell "fire", but you may suffer the consequence.

There's a huge fundamental difference between "you can't yell fire" and "you will be punished if you do."

We shouldn't be punished for owning and using firearm legally.

You guys are proposing laws that would be owning and legally using firearm illegal.

That's called infringement.
They are restricting some firearms, not all, there are already some guns that are illegal.

They are not punishing owners that have legal firearms.

What is your definition of infringement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies