Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 06:48 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,306,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
Big difference between hunting and human, very big difference. I will surmise, sticking those country folk in some of the worse places, Detroit, South Side Chicago, Gary, New Orleans, you'll see how brave they truly are (they're not).
Your opinion only.

"Country folk," (as you call them — parroting Obama, huh?) are not stupid. We just happen to love living where there is open space, where we can have a garden, trees, grass and wild life (but I could live without raccoons on my porch).

We have wild turkeys, deer, ring necked phasants, you name it. We have seen them all in our yard.

But us "country folk" are not much different than you city slickers. We have jobs (I'm self employed), we have families, and we participate in our communities. We have been involved in 4-H, Girl Scouts (we have two daughters, now grown) Junior Fair Board and such.

We also know what goes on in politics, unlike so many who post here who are really clueless.

Old 12-31-2012, 06:56 AM

4,300 posts, read 4,408,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danes View Post
DISCLAIMER: I'm neither for nor against guns. Do whatever you want, just leave me alone.

I see all of you cowboys on here yapping about your gun rights and carrying a gun.

HAve you ever killed anyone? Just curious. I think a lot of you are weekend warriors.

MOST if not all of you don't want to end your comfy little lifestyles that you're lving and end up in prison.

Most of you are all talk. Have you killed anyone?
Very tasteless thing to ask. You may think we are "cowboys" and that we want to kill someone or we watch too many movies. But, many of us are veterans of one (or both) of the Gulf Wars and have firefight experiences (to one degree or another). For every "cowboy" someone thinks is all talk (and I'm sure there are plenty of them), is an anti-gun toter that is just wrong and hopes that everyone is as big a p*$$y as they are.

Old 12-31-2012, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
BS. Your bias is clear, and everyone expects your ilk to lie about it.

Of course, every "gun toter" has killed someone. Happens every day whether we want it to or not. The guns just jump out of the safe and knock someone off. Sometimes the high capacity guns get two people a day, but somehow that only happens in Chicago.
Well, liberals write the headlines! I always laugh, "Gun kills 8 yr. old boy," etc.

I read one today where a "tour bus lost control." Not the driver. Oh, and SUV's kill too!

Old 12-31-2012, 07:03 AM

3,004 posts, read 5,150,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Your opinion only.

"Country folk," (as you call them — parroting Obama, huh?) are not stupid. We just happen to love living where there is open space, where we can have a garden, trees, grass and wild life (but I could live without raccoons on my porch).

We have wild turkeys, deer, ring necked phasants, you name it. We have seen them all in our yard.

But us "country folk" are not much different than you city slickers. We have jobs (I'm self employed), we have families, and we participate in our communities. We have been involved in 4-H, Girl Scouts (we have two daughters, now grown) Junior Fair Board and such.

We also know what goes on in politics, unlike so many who post here who are really clueless.
Really, the term country folk has been around for how many DECADES yet you try to insinuate the POTUS. Give it a rest.

Deer and raccoon are just as much in the city. Actually deer and raccoon are everywhere. You're not the only person to see a deer in his front yard.

The premise of what I said in which you didn't even dwell on is that you stated country folk aren't scared and all own guns in a retort to a previous poster. I'm calling it just plain BULLS$W# on your part. Hunting animals and going after humans are not the same thing. I used the example of some our nations roughest urban cores to illustrate just that. Stick you country folk, rural dweller, city hater however you want to describe yourselves in those areas and bravery will be the last thing on your minds gun or not. So be big and bad all you want chiming in about owning guns all you want. When it hits the fan, that deer isn't already packing and guaranteed not to shoot first. It's all about the upper hand in those types of situations, that person either has to flinch or miss, otherwise you are good and got.

Old 12-31-2012, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
Or Newtown Connecticut, or Aurora Colorado, or Colombine Colorado...

I'm against high-capacity rifles; the only reason why I'm not completely against guns is because we're too far gone in how many illegal weapons are in America. Some people are truly responsible with their guns, some may be completely responsible with a high-capacity weapon as well but that type of weapon shouldn't be a privilege anymore for everyone to obtain. Hell, look at the VA Tech massacre the guy didn't even use a high-capacity rifle if I'm not mistaken yet he still took somewhere north of 30 lives, so a massacre can happen with or without a high-capacity rifle. I just don't want to make it so easy for people to kill...that's all.

We do live in a society where guns are glorified, hell I even like guns but should I let my pleasure be the reason why lives end? Most people I've talked to on this site and the very few I've talked to in real life who own semi-automatic rifles pretty much stated something along the lines of I only want my semi-automatic because its fun to go to the range with or hunt. I understand that they are extremely fun to shoot (I shot a AR-15,.45, and .357 before) but at the same time while shooting one you have to imagine how much damage one can do with it. They are lethal weapons, so the least we could do without taking away the 2nd Amendment is to set some restrictions. You can have fun with a .357, it doesn't need to be a semi-automatic. And you can definitely defend yourself with a .357; it should be illegal to even kill anyone who breaks into ones home to shoot them with a AR-15, its a overkill. Kill them if you really feel the need to (meaning your life is on the line) but if you have the option between picking up a AR-15 and a .45, do me a favor and pick up the .45.
Do you know what an AR-15 is? I bet you don't. I Googled it. It is not a large rifle. It is not even a military rifle. It was first made in 1957, if my memory serves. It was adapted during Viet Nam for the military (as the M-16). It is a very popular sporting rifle for target shooting. It's not a "deer rifle" And the fact that it is semi-automatic means little. It isn't a "machine gun" and one must pull the trigger each time it fires.

The AR-15 should not be banned.

Old 12-31-2012, 07:12 AM

1,473 posts, read 3,572,507 times
UHHHH.......the idea in "toting" a gun is for prevention of killing someone. Where I live and recently, a legally armed citizen prevented the likely death of a woman being assaulted when she found a multiple times felon (who was armed) breaking into her car. Felon, violent one, started beating the woman. Guy driving by saw it and used his LEGAL weapon to force the felon to back off which he did and subsequently ran. The woman was injured but not dead.

Also, most cops or any law enforcement ever fire their weapon in line of duty.

My own personal experience in Vietnam was firing my weapon with no clue if I killed or maimed an enemy.

I love snide comments early in the morning. Goes along with that marvelous smell of napalm and the burning of the honey pots every morning.

Cheers.

Old 12-31-2012, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelva View Post
When I moved out to my own first apt (at 21), my dad laid out all his handguns and said I could have my choice. I chose a 22 Magnum revolver (because I didn't want to be confused with clips and stuff). He proceeded to train me - we went shooting and he trained me about empty chamber (in case it's dropped), everything. I feel VERY comfortable with it. I even 'slept' with it - LOL!!

These days, I'm not likely a 'target' some 36 years later (though Dad may beg to differ) - but now, I let hubby sleep with the 'clips'!

Also, I used to drive long distances, alone (to visit family, etc). I liked the idea of having my 'friend' with me - just in case. I knew I had the choice to use it, or not. I liked having that choice. I'm grateful to my dad for sharing such a thing with me, giving me one of his guns, training me, etc. I call it a 'female equalizer'.

Aside from that - talk to the hand....
Good for you, you are very wise. And so was your dad and so is your husband.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:14 AM

3,840 posts, read 4,511,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
Nice,but no substitute for a real woman.
I guess you haven't seen Firefly.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:32 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
DISCLAIMER: I'm neither for nor against guns. Do whatever you want, just leave me alone.

I see all of you cowboys on here yapping about your gun rights and carrying a gun.

HAve you ever killed anyone? Just curious. I think a lot of you are weekend warriors.

MOST if not all of you don't want to end your comfy little lifestyles that you're lving and end up in prison.

As a "gun toter", I don't believe I've ever come on here talking like a "cowboy", whatever that means.

I own a gun. I love shooting guns. I love the smell of gun powder. I love improving my shot grouping. I like challenging myself.

I have my gun for self protection. IF someone were to break in to my house and threaten my safety, well being and life, yes, I would shoot them.

Do I want to? NO!
Do I sit around and think about how great it would be? HELL NO!
Do I think I would not be affected for the rest of my life regardless that I would be legally in the clear? NO! Of course it would affect me.

Why do some of you insist that all of us, "gun totin' cowboys" think we dream about killing other people?

The only thing I think is, "If someone threatens my safety or life, it's going to be them, not me." That's it! There is no fantasy daydreaming in that, it doesn't make me "feel good" to even have to think about. It's a harsh reality. Maybe some people out there could wake up to that reality BEFORE they find themselves in that situation.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:57 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,677,147 times
Quote:

How many people legally registered and allowed to own a gun have killed someone? I'll bet more people are killed by people who are not allowed to own a gun, and/or took the gun from someone else, have killed people, then people who were the legally registered owner of the gun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies