Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the government stay out of marriage?
Yes 57 80.28%
No 14 19.72%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 05:16 AM

5,648 posts, read 8,057,151 times

Advertisements

There's been a lot of talk in the last month about gay "marriage" and making it legal for them to "marry" and many people think it should be "legal" to get married. How about getting the government out of the institution of marriage?

Why do I believe marriage should be a personal issue and not a federal or state issue? The definition of marriage have been redefined so many times over the decades. A lot of couples have started treating marriage like a business instead of a commitment. Marriage is one-sided with the government involved and I believe it would be hard for a couple if they decide to split. The government (yes, divorce courts are run by the Govt) has invented alimony and no-fault divorce. Apart from marriage, the government is also involved in cohabiting couples after 10 years and that would be considered a common-law marriage in certain states. It would be hard for cohabiting one to split too and one might lose their property.

With the government involved in marriage, I believe more people will be reluctant to marry or live together in upcoming years.

Now I know many liberals and conservatives will disagree. Many will question "What about the benefits". I honestly could careless about the "benefits". I believe people should be free to marry without governmental interference (no licenses or certificates, or worries about whether the marriage is legal or not).

So do you believe the government should stay out of marriage and cohabitation?

Old 12-31-2012, 05:17 AM

4,866 posts, read 5,678,521 times
Yes.

Old 12-31-2012, 05:36 AM

1,229 posts, read 1,147,608 times
Religion should stay our of marriage.

Old 12-31-2012, 05:51 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
As long as staying out of marriage means the marriage penalty tax is eliminated, yes. We need to go to a system where each individual pays their own tax and that's that. Married, unmarried, living together, who cares.

Old 12-31-2012, 06:00 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Yes

Old 12-31-2012, 09:19 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Hell yes.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:20 AM

4,300 posts, read 4,408,773 times
Yeppers.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:23 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,205,540 times
Absolutely. The government should not care whether a person is married, and marriage should not factor into taxes at all.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:24 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
There's been a lot of talk in the last month about gay "marriage" and making it legal for them to "marry" and many people think it should be "legal" to get married. How about getting the government out of the institution of marriage?

Why do I believe marriage should be a personal issue and not a federal or state issue? The definition of marriage have been redefined so many times over the decades. A lot of couples have started treating marriage like a business instead of a commitment. Marriage is one-sided with the government involved and I believe it would be hard for a couple if they decide to split. The government (yes, divorce courts are run by the Govt) has invented alimony and no-fault divorce. Apart from marriage, the government is also involved in cohabiting couples after 10 years and that would be considered a common-law marriage in certain states. It would be hard for cohabiting one to split too and one might lose their property.

With the government involved in marriage, I believe more people will be reluctant to marry or live together in upcoming years.

Now I know many liberals and conservatives will disagree. Many will question "What about the benefits". I honestly could careless about the "benefits". I believe people should be free to marry without governmental interference (no licenses or certificates, or worries about whether the marriage is legal or not).

I feel strongly the government should have nothing to do with personal life choices and decisions, unless they hurt others. Gay marriage (which as most know I do not personally support) should be up to the couple and the church. The only difference between legal unions and actual marriage is the religious ceremony. This should be up to clergy to decide if they want to perform the ceremony or not. Even SS benefits should go to a surviving partner, regardless of the sex of that partner. Actually that is about the only benefit not allowed today..Even the argument about privacy, every individual has the right to decide who can be given information about his/her health..

Old 12-31-2012, 09:26 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post

Doesn't matter what anyone, "thinks" or "feels" about this particular subject, the fact is, the less government intrusion we have in our lives, the better. Get the flippin' government OUT of our lives!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies