Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 06:30 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,436,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
What Obama wants is not best for the country. Therefore in resisting him the GOP is doing what is best for the country.

"Some just luv to twist the truth, don't they" we were not born yesterday, even though some think we are all gullable.

Hell freaking no, Obama wants what is best for the Country, Hope i think not, change, what the hell change, and moving forward, into Obama's agenda.

Takes two to tangle, one to cheat!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 05:57 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,687,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
The other thing I don't understand is the right wing's argument that higher taxes on the wealthy will amount to such a small sum that everyone should just forget about the entire thing. Well, if it's such a dinky amount of money, then why is the Republican side willing to bring the country to the brink of a new economic crisis over it?
I don't get you guys at all.

Why? I don't think they are, except that they were hoping to use something that Obama and the Dems desperately want as a carrot in exchange for the spending cuts that the country desperately NEEDS.
You don't realize that it's Obama that was willing to bring the country to its economic knees to get what he wants.

Unfortunately, the GOP caved on the spending issue. Gutless wonders, all but a very few of them.

Old 01-03-2013, 07:47 PM

6,926 posts, read 6,931,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Why? I don't think they are, except that they were hoping to use something that Obama and the Dems desperately want as a carrot in exchange for the spending cuts that the country desperately NEEDS.
You don't realize that it's Obama that was willing to bring the country to its economic knees to get what he wants.

Unfortunately, the GOP caved on the spending issue. Gutless wonders, all but a very few of them.
The idea of "my way or the highway" belongs in a dictatorship, not a democracy. Compromise is not the equivalent of "caving in." It is a component of responsible government as well as a civilized society. President Obama and the Senate were the ones who backed away from their original offer in an effort at compromise. The extreme right wing has in effect blocked all attempts to pass ANY legislation by their intransigence on the issues.

Just because you stick your fingers in your ears and holler "nah,nah, nah," these facts will not go away. I do not understand what extremists on the right think they're going to accomplish by living in fantasy land. Rational people will not join you there.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:22 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,414,093 times
Quote:
I thought it was the conservatives who wanted to tax everyone making more than $3 bucks. Remember the infamous 47% ? What about all that right wing outrage over people who don't pay (income) taxes? What? Are you guys suddenly on the side of the working class these days?

The other thing I don't understand is the right wing's argument that higher taxes on the wealthy will amount to such a small sum that everyone should just forget about the entire thing. Well, if it's such a dinky amount of money, then why is the Republican side willing to bring the country to the brink of a new economic crisis over it?

So $60 billion a year will bring the country to the brink? That's about the total of the "rich" revenue. Interestingly they will spend $60 billion cleaning up after Sandy, which apparently affected portions of California and Alaska based on the spending requests.

The better analogy is a really hungry guy stranded on an island. There are thousands of shrimp, mangoes, and bananas within reach but he's got his heart set on coconut which is 100' up a tree. So he waits for them to fall into his plate.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:38 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,450,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Because in another thread you state that the reason we had the 2008 crash was because of the Bush tax cuts?

Undoing them must be a good thing!
Good luck in that argument. They spent 8 years trying to convince everyone those tax cuts only benefited rich people. Now they're trying their best to convince letting them expire on rich people will solve all of the American's ills. This, of course, is in direct contradiction to facts. Hell, even Obama admitted that when he said it was a matter of fairness.

They have no high ground. They have no standards. They simply move the goal posts and "make it up as they go along."

Old 01-03-2013, 08:54 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,783,323 times
Originally Posted by ellemint
Explain how going over the cliff and paying more payroll and income tax is best for the country?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Because in another thread you state that the reason we had the 2008 crash was because of the Bush tax cuts?

Undoing them must be a good thing!

You beat me to it!

Dem's constantly bring up how Bush paid for senior's prescriptions, yet claim he wanted to cut their benefits. That's speaking out both sides of the mouth. He gave them too much; he doesn't want to give them anything!

Contradiction, another progressive virtue, I suppose.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:04 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,783,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
"Some just luv to twist the truth, don't they" we were not born yesterday, even though some think we are all gullable.

Hell freaking no, Obama wants what is best for the Country, Hope i think not, change, what the hell change, and moving forward, into Obama's agenda.

Takes two to tangle, one to cheat!
Hey! I live in California, where gullible IS a virtue. It took decades for us to breed the silly notion of "common sense" out of the people, damn it!

Only in Cali do we pay taxes verging on usury, more than any other state; bust a Governor for mismanaging funds and making shady deals with Enron; fire him and vote in "the Terminator" who should have won an Oscar for impersonating a Republican; vote back in Jerry "Moonbeam" Brown (short memories); be taken further into debt than ever before; And ...then vote to be taxed even more! WOO-FRIKKIN_HOO it's great to be gullible!

Politician Mantra: It isn't lying and cheating, unless you get caught!

Old 01-03-2013, 09:15 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,129,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Hey! I live in California, and gullible is a virtue here. It took decades for us to breed "common sense" out of the people, damn it!

Only in Cali do we pay taxes verging on usury, more than any other state; bust a Governor for mismanaging funds and making shady deals with Enron; fire him and vote in "the Terminator" who should have won an Oscar for impersonating a Republican; vote back in Jerry "Moonbeam" Brown (short memories); be taken further into debt than ever before; And ...then vote to be taxed even more! WOO-FRIKKIN_HOO it's great to be gullible!

Politician Mantra: It isn't lying and cheating, unless you get caught!
You know you were one of those Republicans salivating at the mouth with memories of Ronald Reagan. When the governator came in Republicans dreamed of a repeat for the conservative cause out west. All I heard was praise and that he was going to turn around California's liberal agenda... When that didn't happen the Republican strategy is to call their chosen one a RINO...

Old 01-03-2013, 09:42 PM

1,922 posts, read 1,744,923 times
If only more in our federal government could be like Harry Reid.... what a wonderful world this would be. /sarcasm

Old 01-03-2013, 11:22 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,460,918 times
Quote:
I thought it was the conservatives who wanted to tax everyone making more than $3 bucks. Remember the infamous 47% ? What about all that right wing outrage over people who don't pay (income) taxes? What? Are you guys suddenly on the side of the working class these days?

It's pretty simple really.

A billion extra dollars in tax revenue isn't going to make a dent in a trillion dollar deficit.

A billion extra dollars left in the private sector for investment is a lot of potential jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies