Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2007, 09:17 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,588,822 times

Advertisements

Is our government slowing down hydrogen technology? Or is it coming soon regardless of government actions?

Seems quiet a bit of fuel cell technology has become a reality, and now its more of a matter of mass production and hydrogen infrastructure. If gas powered cars could be converted to hydrogen, and new cars could be built to accept both gas and hydrogen, this could easily pave the way for a new infrastructure of hydrogen stations. I'm sure we are talking at least another decade, maybe longer. But 10 years ago I would have thought it wouldn't happen in my lifetime.

Hydrogen-Powered Chevy and Saturn Hybrid On Display at ECOFEST
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2007, 09:58 AM

1,398 posts, read 7,688,860 times
I'm holding out for the flying cars that were predicted we'd all be taking to work 40 years ago.....

Old 10-17-2007, 10:10 AM

2,794 posts, read 3,668,659 times
Maybe we can lobby our representatives to government to convert mass transit (e.g. busses) to hydrogen. The private sector would be able to enjoy lower costs by using some of the infrastructure developed for the public sector.

Old 10-17-2007, 10:15 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,588,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrown View Post
I'm holding out for the flying cars that were predicted we'd all be taking to work 40 years ago.....
Unfortunately they never released 100 test flying cars like they just did with the hydrogen cars. Also, BMW is rolling out a series of hydrogen cars for lease, called the BMW Hydrogen 7. They have dual tanks, one for hydrogen, one for gas, can run on either, with the same amount of power, 260hp.

The infrastructure is very small now, but as each manufacturer races to be the leader in a desirable technology, eventually we will see hydrogen stations far more than we do now. There are currently around 25-30 hydrogen fuel stations in the US, most of them in California.

Old 10-17-2007, 12:58 PM

41,478 posts, read 59,530,043 times
Hydrogen is great for spacecraft but way less so for lack of space craft - that is automobiles in a traffic jam.

Biggest problem with Hydrogen is storing a sufficient quantity is a small enough space to provide the range and performance required at a cost that is acceptable. A 20 gal sheet steel gasoline tank does not cost anywhere as much as the same energy storage tank for Hydrogen. Besides Hydrogen, being a very small molecule (H2) will leak through steel, and most anything else, walled tank.

Better to use Hydrogen to convert carbonaceous waste to liquid hydrocarbons like gasoline of diesel fuel and use them to run the transportation

PS - judging by the driving skills I see everyday on the expressways around Boston we should be grateful that the personal airplane in every garage never happened.

Old 10-17-2007, 02:58 PM

20,170 posts, read 24,229,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Hydrogen is great for spacecraft but way less so for lack of space craft - that is automobiles in a traffic jam.

Biggest problem with Hydrogen is storing a sufficient quantity is a small enough space to provide the range and performance required at a cost that is acceptable. A 20 gal sheet steel gasoline tank does not cost anywhere as much as the same energy storage tank for Hydrogen. Besides Hydrogen, being a very small molecule (H2) will leak through steel, and most anything else, walled tank.

Better to use Hydrogen to convert carbonaceous waste to liquid hydrocarbons like gasoline of diesel fuel and use them to run the transportation

PS - judging by the driving skills I see everyday on the expressways around Boston we should be grateful that the personal airplane in every garage never happened.
Especially in fishmonger's garage.

Old 10-17-2007, 11:02 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,379,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbound2day View Post
Is our government slowing down hydrogen technology? Or is it coming soon regardless of government actions?

Seems quiet a bit of fuel cell technology has become a reality, and now its more of a matter of mass production and hydrogen infrastructure. If gas powered cars could be converted to hydrogen, and new cars could be built to accept both gas and hydrogen, this could easily pave the way for a new infrastructure of hydrogen stations. I'm sure we are talking at least another decade, maybe longer. But 10 years ago I would have thought it wouldn't happen in my lifetime.

Hydrogen-Powered Chevy and Saturn Hybrid On Display at ECOFEST

only problem with getting enough hydrogen to power vehicles is..... well lets just say it. You need to burn fossil fuels to run the generators that produces the electrolysis to separate water into the hydrogen and oxygen.

Old 10-18-2007, 08:30 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,530,043 times
Most commercial Hydrogen is produced by thermal disassociation (cooking) natural gas. I have read about a way to do this using very high temperature thermal cracking of water with a gas cooled nuclear reactor. Way simpler to use the Fischer Tropsh process on waste vegetation or simply extract oil from tumbleweed or hemp seeds.

Old 10-18-2007, 08:34 AM

982 posts, read 3,298,304 times
Actually, I think this is really cool:

http://http://www.physorg.com/news98556080.html (broken link)

Old 10-18-2007, 08:53 AM

3,689 posts, read 10,379,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Most commercial Hydrogen is produced by thermal disassociation (cooking) natural gas. I have read about a way to do this using very high temperature thermal cracking of water with a gas cooled nuclear reactor. Way simpler to use the Fischer Tropsh process on waste vegetation or simply extract oil from tumbleweed or hemp seeds.
eeek. imagine trying to get the construction of a Nuclear reactor started in our country with the enviromentalists the way they are. They dont even want wind generators due to the death of birds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies