U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 12:57 AM

33,046 posts, read 22,072,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
That must have been in New York City, where it takes $5k to live basic.

NEW YORK CITY???

This Stuff's Made In New York City!!! Pace Thick & Chunky - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2013, 08:53 AM

39,290 posts, read 20,376,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgusted123 View Post
What system are you people all clued into that promotes welfare over work? I've worked as a WTP worker for years, and most of my displaced workers not only WANT to return to work - many of them have to choose between feeding their children, or keeping the electricity bill paid.

Welfare is not an easy life, no matter what "isolated exception" you bring to my doorstep. You people are all spewing rhetoric about human beings who are just trying not to die according to the alarm you set on your Rolex.
Yep unfortunately there are people who want to work but since Obama promise that government can create jobs, you remember, his shovel ready jobs that failed there are some that are collecting that would rather be working. BUT we will always have the dead weight who don't want to work.

Welfare is not an easy life? Then why do we have so many dead weights who would rather collect than work?

Old 06-22-2013, 09:27 AM

19,899 posts, read 15,902,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Yep unfortunately there are people who want to work but since Obama promise that government can create jobs, you remember, his shovel ready jobs that failed there are some that are collecting that would rather be working. BUT we will always have the dead weight who don't want to work.

Welfare is not an easy life? Then why do we have so many dead weights who would rather collect than work?

There will always be those, who prefer the easy way out! Almost as if those who are sucessful in life, are the ones punished.

When i hear certain people say things as if they are owed things, makes me want to throw up all over the person. Want things work the way i had too to get to this place.

Even in situations when we we hurting, i never got assitance, got off my skinney butt, and worked three jobs at one time plus at nite cleaning Schools with my hubby. It is called being self sufficent, which any person can do.

If your not taught that being self sufficent is a attribute, then what can i say.

Old 06-22-2013, 09:59 AM

36,964 posts, read 16,117,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
I have worked in social services for about a quarter century. In all that time I have helped people access different services and social programs, and recently for a good long while I worked specifically determining eligibility for such things as SNAP (food stamps), TANF (Temporary Aid to Needy Families), day care assistance, and I've done some work with Section 8 (housing assistance.) Even my current job entails putting people together with community resources and accessing various kinds of assistance.

Allow me to clear up a few misconceptions.

First off, YES, there are people who play the system and cheat the system. YES there are some people who could work, but won't for whatever reason.

The second important thing to remember is that tax loopholes and other entitlements for the very wealthy and "corpoate welfare" are a FAR greater drain on our economy, and a far larger percentage of government spending than are programs designed to help the poor.

I heard a stat a year or so back when all the fracas about Romney releasing tax documents was in the news that indicated that all the tax incentives and loopholes Romney took advantage of for just one year as shown on his returns equalled enough for him to have kept his family on food stamps until the year 4000 and something.

Now. The vast majority of people receiving gov't assistance are on food stamps, which averages out to $1.42 per meal per person.

TANF is very rare compared to food stamps, and it IS temporary. TANF is usually given in the form of vouchers for rent and utility assistance, etc. It is very difficult to get TANF, and it does not last very long (hence "Temporary.") Those receiving it must either work, be in job training or other employment programs, or be able to prove they are seeking work by applying for a certain number of jobs each week. (It varies a bit from state to state.) This is somewhat similar to applying for and receiving unemployment in most states.

Day care assistance is another benefit some people receive, but those people MUST either be working or going to school in order to receive it (and they must be able to prove this), and they typically still have a co-pay.

In short, people aren't really receiving cash money handouts from the government, although you can certainly view getting assistance with food, rent, utilities, etc. as a form of payment or subsidy.

In case anyone is curious, yes we DO have ways of verifying pay and employment. I can look up anyone's social security number on a certain database and see precisely, by quarter, if a person is on anyone's payroll and precisely what they were paid each quarter.

Now, there ARE people who make money other ways and claim they don't earn anything, although they have to state this in an "under oath" sort of situation. If it is proven that they have misrepresented any self-employment earnings, they are beholden to repay what they received from the government.

Nevertheless, there are people who do lawn care, work under the table for someone, or even sell drugs or prostitute themselves and claim they earn no money.

But these situations are the exception to the rule.

The idea that people on assistance are "lazy, worthless good-for-nothings who just don't want to work so I the taxpayer have to pick up the tab to support their junky butts" is really misleading and not typical at all.

Very large numbers of people on assistance DO work--often more than one job, or an adult couple where both work; they simply don't earn enough to put them over income to be ineligible for benefits.

Another large group who receive benefits are the temporarily unemployed or underemployed--folks who lost their job for one reason or another, go on assistance for a time, then obtain gainful employment again, and go off assistance.

Moreover, very large numbers of people on assistance are physically or mentally disabled, or are elderly, etc.

The number of people who actually just "play the system" and are able-bodied and sound of mind but just refuse to work and instead sit back and get their $1.42 per meal in food assistance or live in subsidized housing is, in reality, pretty small.

But I don't mean to let reality stop the OP from tossing out tired old dishonest baseless "Welfare Queen" stereotypes as they try to foment resentment towards people who are less fortunate by inventing boogeymen.
There is no wonder there is so muchwast fraud and abuse of the welfare system with people like you working in it.

"First off, YES, there are (MANY) people who play the system and cheat the system. YES there are (MANY)some people who could work, but won't for whatever reason.

The second important thing to remember is that tax loopholes and other entitlements for the very wealthy and "corpoate welfare" are a FAR greater drain on our economy, and a far larger percentage of government spending than are programs designed to help the poor.

I heard a stat a year or so back when all the fracas about Romney releasing tax documents was in the news that indicated that all the tax incentives and loopholes Romney took advantage of for just one year as shown on his returns equalled enough for him to have kept his family on food stamps until the year 4000 and something.

Did you verify the stat or just believe everything you hear?

Did you ALSO hear Romney pays MILLIONS in taxes EVERY year?

I couldn't read any further then this.

I worked in the gov't housing projects and other houses in the slums of Wash, D.C. and the waste fraud and abuse IS RAMPANT.

Old 06-22-2013, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
Here is a link to Welfare Fraud cases....
Yikes it is a GOV site too! Oh the truth of it all!

Just one story from the site...

May 2007 Los Angeles County
While exact figures are difficult to tally, experts estimate as much as $300 billion a year is lost to health care fraud in the United States - more than half of it to organized crime.
Medi-Cal spends about $34 billion annually to provide care for about 7 million indigent Californians - with about $3 billion of that lost to fraud, experts say.
The state Attorney General's Office has a bureau that deals specifically with Medi-Cal fraud. It's prosecuted about 1,000 such cases over the past eight years - double the number for the previous eight years. Most, officials say, are related to organized crime.

Welfare Fraud Stories
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
You just argued 2 cases out of what, 30 million and this guy claims he was seeing it on a regular basis. you smacking your own head isnt going to make you comprehend why your argument is just as flawed as his.

you are arguing the exception to the rule rather than the rule itself.
Did you even bother to READ what was posted? I doubt it because IF you had you wouldn't have made such statements.

"experts estimate as much as $300 billion a year is lost to health care fraud in the United States" -

"Californians - with about $3 billion of that lost to fraud, experts say."

Old 06-22-2013, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
I guess the welfare bashers won't be truly happy until they see all the grandmothers out on the streets eating out of trash cans
It is childish comments like this that is the cause of why we can't have an adult discussion on most topics.

Old 06-22-2013, 10:12 AM

19,717 posts, read 11,569,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Obama bought those votes with our tax money just like the unions use the money they collect to help get Obama into office. The unions own Obama now.

Yea I remember this. I remember when Obama was first re-elected within days people were everywhere thinking they were going to get a bunch of freebies. I mo have to worry bout my mortgage no mo. I mo have to pay for gas.
So, which is it? Does Obama represent your 'deadbeats who don't work and don't pay taxes' or the unions, who by definition are working people. You make a rather contradictory argument, such as it is an argument.

But let us look at who these 'takers' are and where they live. Whatdoyaknow, they live primarily in the 'red' states that Obama lost:

Source: Where Do the 47 Percent Live? | The American Conservative

Quote:
Of the states with the lowest non-payment rates, only three–Wyoming, North Dakota, and Alaska–are clearly in Romney’s column. These are also the states with the lowest population. On the other hand, eight of the ten states with the highest non-payment rates are solidly Republican. The exceptions are New Mexico and Florida. In short, Romney’s geographic base is in states where large numbers of households pay no net federal income tax.
So what does that say about the theory that Obama attracts the welfare crowd with 'our tax money'? It completely discredits it.

Old 06-22-2013, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
You won't believe some things some "pooper" people have said to me.

Everone gets back a huge refund come tax time,and everyone with kids is eligible for the Earned Income Credit regardless of income.

I have had some people suggest to me I should get on welfare so I could stay home with my kids. Wth?
It was my mother in law,and she was saying she took care of her kids when they were younger. She did it on welfare....yeah that's really taking care of your kids by yourself alright. Smdh

Some people have told me they didn't know Medicaid had income limits. I have even met middle class people who thought that too,so many people are uninformed.
Same with food stamps. These people thought you could just walk in the welfare offices and sign up.

On this very site,someone thought just because someone was black they could get free housing,just for being black. Smh.
"Everone gets back a huge refund come tax time." Really? And you know this how?

I will have to challenge you to proved data to support such a wild blanket statement.

Just to start you off, I have NEVER gotten a refund! I refuse to give the gov't my money interest free for a year.

Those that get refunds are being very foolish with their money.

Old 06-22-2013, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
46% of the people work the rest expect to be carried on their backs. as far as the 54% are concerned they are the victim of income inequality and it is only right that others carry them. i always wanted to retire and live in a foreign country. i am not sure i did but i sure dont speak the new language. its certainly not spanish bek i speak it and so do a lot of very hard working people i know. but how to speak fluent entitlement, u got me there.
"as far as the 54% are concerned they are the victim of income inequality"

Being you have access to stats, of the 54%, how many do NOT have a high school degree, at a minimum?

It is pretty hard to get a decent paying job without at least a high school diploma.

Old 06-22-2013, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
So, which is it? Does Obama represent your 'deadbeats who don't work and don't pay taxes' or the unions, who by definition are working people. You make a rather contradictory argument, such as it is an argument.

But let us look at who these 'takers' are and where they live. Whatdoyaknow, they live primarily in the 'red' states that Obama lost:

Source: Where Do the 47 Percent Live? | The American Conservative

So what does that say about the theory that Obama attracts the welfare crowd with 'our tax money'? It completely discredits it.
State maps mean noting. You need to provide a map by city and county being you have access to such maps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or